Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting pseudo code needs help coding Post 302306308 by bakunin on Sunday 12th of April 2009 09:26:39 AM
Old 04-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxhats
What I am trying to avoid is two(2) different users sharing work via the same process!!! If two different users are using the same terminal, shut them down! I must shut this "cheating" process down!!!!
Ok, accepted. But (i hope you don't mind) instead of writing a shell script for you i would like to challenge your premise:

Your intention is to prevent users from exchanging work. Alas, as long as you do not take addional measures your concept is not going to work because users could simply share files via publicly accessible directories: copy a file with your work to /tmp, chmod it to 777 and every user could copy it.

Even if this would be prevented somehow you could always exchange work through network-like connections (for instance the "talk" utility, "mail", etc.).

IMHO you need a chrooted environment (see "man chroot") for every student to effectively prevent exchange of work and in this case you could lift the 2-sessions limit because it is an artificial restraint then superfluous.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Pseudo Terminals

I need to spawn a number of foreground process by reading a configuration file. Each process needs some form of I/O. Hence I need to run it on different terminals. How it can be done programatically , i.e. , my module needs to find which terminal is not in use, then open it, execute the process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: S.P.Prasad
2 Replies

2. SCO

pseudo driver

explain differences between a device driver & a pseudo driver...???? thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

3. Solaris

pseudo: [ID 129642 kern.info] pseudo-device: vol0

Hi I have a system that gave me some messages on bootup that I was not used to seeing: pseudo: pseudo-device: vol0 genunix: vol0 is /pseudo/vol@0 these came with these: Feb 13 17:42:17 system1 eri: SUNW,eri0 : 100 Mbps full duplex link up Feb 13 17:42:21 system1sendmail: My unqualified... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mndavies
0 Replies

4. Solaris

what is /devices/pseudo/ ??

Hi all, what does this mean? if then <something> fi here is what i know.. it checks if the specified argument no($devid) in some function call is made into a block device and then proceeds with the execution of the loop. However am not understand what lofi@0:means? also is there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pseudo code or description

hi I need a Pseudo code or a description of what a program is saying from this spec and code: Just so i can understand how this solution was achieved, thanks here is the spec: Specifications are as follows:- The books records are stored in one csv file and the layout and the contents... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ferrycorsten73
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to write pseudo code

hi, I'm doing some project, I selected shell script as programming language, I need to write pseudo code for my script, can anyone tell me how to write that.......?:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hanaveenkumar
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need pseudo connectivity

Hi All, I have putty on my system (Vista). I need some server details to login via internet for my personnel practice. Can any body help me out. In case this not feasible, just let me know any other way to work with UNIX terminal on Windows Vista itself. Please help me since i am desparately... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikas_kesarwani
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pseudo Terminal

How can i view what my colleague is doing in the terminal pts/1 while i have logged into terminal pts/2 ?? Both have remotely logged in via ssh. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

9. Programming

Change Pseudo Code to C Program (print and fork)

I am very new at programming and this is probably an easy question, but I am desperate. I need to change this low level code into a C program that I can run so I can print out every "A" that appears with the fork() command. You help is greatly appreciated. PRINT A p=fork() if( p == 0) {... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpommm
0 Replies

10. Linux

May you explain step by step where and how I will add pseudo code

Thank all of you. May you explain step by step where and how I will add pseudo code Note : I have Linux 2.6.24-26-server on x86_64 dears kindly help me (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nonowa
3 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)