Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Inserting text and modifying the file Post 302306143 by digipak on Saturday 11th of April 2009 07:36:57 AM
Old 04-11-2009
No I have not started anything and I actually wont be able to do it with my skills anyway.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need in modifying the text of .txt file

Hi All, I've written a shell script in which i defined two varibles for example: str=1.0.0.15 timeStamp=2008.03.08 now using this varibles i need to modify a text file. The text content looks like this ************************ * packageNumber : 1.0.0.14 * * date :... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinna
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting subscriber no in text file using KSH....

:confused:Dears , I have text file I need to insert the subscriber number at position 32, and need to keep the next field at position 53 (no increasing of the record lenght), I mean I just want to replace the spaces at position 32 with subscirber number . for example A B A ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atiato
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inserting a string to a text file

Hello Can somebody please help me with the following script? I'm trying to create a text file with 20 blank lines and then insert a string in line 2 but nothing is printed in the itxtfile. I can create the file with 20 blank lines but when I "tell" it to print something on the second line, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: goude
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting a column into a text file

I have a tab delimited text file with multiple columns (data.txt). I would like to insert a column into the text file. The column I want to insert is in a text file (column.txt). I want to insert it into the 5th column of data.txt. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text into a new file

Hi all, I want to create a file and then insert some text into it. I'm trying to create a .sh script that will create a new python file from a template. Can someone tell me why this won't work, touch $1 | sed -e '1i\Some test code here' Sorry I'm quite new to all this! Just as a side... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahodgson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Small query on modifying the text of file

Hi, I have file with the following text, /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_1_1_33l.root /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_2_5_33l.root /analysis2012/533/mc_S10_533/DYJets50/vgtree_6_7_33l.root and many such files. For some operation on these files, I would like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and inserting text from another file

I need to insert text from one file into another file after specific term. I guess sed is the best method of doing this and I can insert a specified text string using this script but I am not sure how to modify it to insert text from another file: #!/bin/sh sed 's/\<VirtualHost... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
17 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting text into a file with awk or sed

Hello, I've been trying to get a script working that fetches weather-data and converts it into an .ics file. The script works so far put I'm stuck at the point where I need to add specific static data. A thorough search through the forum did not point me into the right direction. #!/bin/bash... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schubi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text in file names while copying them.

I'm trying to find a Bourne shell script that will copy files from one directory using a wild card for the file name (*) and add some more characters in the middle of the file name as it is copied. As an example: /u01/tmp-file1.xml => /u02/tmp-file1-20130620.xml /u01/tmp-file2.xml => ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tony Keller
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing duplicate sequences and modifying a text file

Hi. I've tried several different programs to try and solve this problem, but none of them seem to have done exactly what I want (and I need the file in a very specific format). I have a large file of DNA sequences in a multifasta file like this, with around 15 000 genes: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4galaxy7
2 Replies
starting(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual					       starting(7)

NAME
starting - event signalling that a job is starting SYNOPSIS
starting JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The starting event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when a new instance of a job begins starting. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. init(8) will wait for all services started by this event to be running, all tasks started by this event to have finished and all jobs stopped by this event to be stopped before allowing the job to continue starting. This allows jobs to effectively insert themselves as dependencies of other jobs. The event is typically combined with the stopped(7) event by services. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the starting event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run before another task or service is started might use: start on starting postgresql SEE ALSO
started(7) stopping(7) stopped(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 starting(7)