Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting passing argument to shell script that reads user inputs Post 302305718 by patjones on Thursday 9th of April 2009 02:45:36 PM
Old 04-09-2009
passing argument to shell script that reads user inputs

Hi,
Lets say I have a script "ss" which does this

read abc
echo $abc
read pqr
echo $pqr

Now if I want to pass and argument to only "abc" how do I do it.
If I do

echo "somevalue" | ss, it does not prompt for pqr and its value comes out as blank.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
P

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem when passing argument to a shell script

Hi all, I'm new to Shell scripting. In my shell script for Bourne shell, the script accepts a date parameter which is optional. If the value is supplied, the supplied value should be assigned to a variable. If not, the current date will be assigned to the variable. My script is like this. #!... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in passing array of inputs to C program using script?

Hi, I have a file input which has 1000 data inputs of array elements. I would like to pass this to a C program one line at a time as input automatically. Anyone know how I could use "sed" to perform this? Appreciate alot. Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command line argument between shell's

Hi, I am facing a problem to pass command line arguments that looks like <script name> aa bb "cc" dd "ee" I want to pass all 5 elements include the " (brackets). when I print the @ARGV the " disappear. I hope I explain myself Regards, Ziv (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing command output as an argument to a shell script

Hi, I have a very small requirement where i need to pass command output as an argument while invoking the shell script.. I need to call like this sh testscript.sh ' ls -t Appl*and*abc* | head -n 1' This will list one file name as ana argument.. I will be using "$1" in the shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pssandeep
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument to a script while executing it within current shell

Hi Gurus, I have written a script set_env.ksh to which I pass an argument and set the oracle login credentials based on the argument I pass. The script has code as below. ORACLE_SID=$1 DB_SCHEMA_LOGON=$DB_SCHEMA_USER/$DB_SCHEMA_PASSWORD@$ORACLE_SID; export DB_SCHEMA_LOGON; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabari Nath S
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing either of argument, not both in shell

Hi, I have a requirement to work on script, it should take either of arguments. wrote it as below. #!/bin/bash usage() { echo "$0: missing argument OR invalid option ! Usage : $0 -m|-r|-d } while getopts mrdvh opt; do case "$opt" in m) monitor_flag=monitor;;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ramanaraoeee
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing argument from Java to Shell script

Hi All, I want to pass array of argument from Java to a shell script.I can use process builder api and its exec() method to call the script,but the question is how to receive the parameter in the script. Thanks in advance ---------- Post updated at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous update was... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet_Atti
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument in script?

hi, I want to implement some function to perform following task if ; then $TEXT = "Data_0" else $TEXT = $1 fi if ; then $Lines = 45 else $Lines = $2 fi Kindly suggest, thanks (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing user argument

Hi all: I'm trying to pass an argument to a command but it's being difficult. #!/bin/bash set -xv if ; then echo "More than 1 argument entered" echo "Please enter a month using 3 character names, ie, Jan, Mar, Apr, Dec" && exit 1 fi if ; then echo "Please enter a month using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raggmopp
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script that reads a file

I have below script to read a file line by line. How can I ensure that the loop will stop after last line. #!/bin/bash while read -r mod ver tarball; do echo $mod done < taskfile.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
4 Replies
subst(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  subst(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
subst - Perform backslash, command, and variable substitutions SYNOPSIS
subst ?-nobackslashes? ?-nocommands? ?-novariables? string _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command performs variable substitutions, command substitutions, and backslash substitutions on its string argument and returns the fully-substituted result. The substitutions are performed in exactly the same way as for Tcl commands. As a result, the string argument is actually substituted twice, once by the Tcl parser in the usual fashion for Tcl commands, and again by the subst command. If any of the -nobackslashes, -nocommands, or -novariables are specified, then the corresponding substitutions are not performed. For example, if -nocommands is specified, command substitution is not performed: open and close brackets are treated as ordinary characters with no special interpretation. Note that the substitution of one kind can include substitution of other kinds. For example, even when the -novariables option is speci- fied, command substitution is performed without restriction. This means that any variable substitution necessary to complete the command substitution will still take place. Likewise, any command substitution necessary to complete a variable substitution will take place, even when -nocommands is specified. See the EXAMPLES below. If an error occurs during substitution, then subst will return that error. If a break exception occurs during command or variable substi- tution, the result of the whole substitution will be the string (as substituted) up to the start of the substitution that raised the excep- tion. If a continue exception occurs during the evaluation of a command or variable substitution, an empty string will be substituted for that entire command or variable substitution (as long as it is well-formed Tcl.) If a return exception occurs, or any other return code is returned during command or variable substitution, then the returned value is substituted for that substitution. See the EXAMPLES below. In this way, all exceptional return codes are "caught" by subst. The subst command itself will either return an error, or will complete successfully. EXAMPLES
When it performs its substitutions, subst does not give any special treatment to double quotes or curly braces (except within command sub- stitutions) so the script set a 44 subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {44}", not "xyz {$a}" and the script set a "p} q {r" subst {xyz {$a}} returns "xyz {p} q {r}", not "xyz {p} q {r}". When command substitution is performed, it includes any variable substitution necessary to evaluate the script. set a 44 subst -novariables {$a [format $a]} returns "$a 44", not "$a $a". Similarly, when variable substitution is performed, it includes any command substitution necessary to retrieve the value of the variable. proc b {} {return c} array set a {c c [b] tricky} subst -nocommands {[b] $a([b])} returns "[b] c", not "[b] tricky". The continue and break exceptions allow command substitutions to prevent substitution of the rest of the command substitution and the rest of string respectively, giving script authors more options when processing text using subst. For example, the script subst {abc,[break],def} returns "abc,", not "abc,,def" and the script subst {abc,[continue;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,,def", not "abc,3,def". Other exceptional return codes substitute the returned value subst {abc,[return foo;expr {1+2}],def} returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def" and subst {abc,[return -code 10 foo;expr {1+2}],def} also returns "abc,foo,def", not "abc,3,def". SEE ALSO
Tcl(n), eval(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
backslash substitution, command substitution, variable substitution Tcl 7.4 subst(n)