Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substituting Characters using SED Post 302305669 by altamaha on Thursday 9th of April 2009 01:07:57 PM
Old 04-09-2009
My example was not clear enough. I have 12000 rows in my user accounts, and I wish to replace any capitals in the 3rd field of any row with lowercase.

The 3rd field of the output file will be used as a join field with a second file.

Agan, I thank you for you help.

JB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting with value of variable in Sed

Hi, I have a program in which i have to substitute a TAG in a file with the value of a variable. Code Snippet: ---------------- myvar=1234 sed 's/_TAG_/$myvar/' infile outfile When I run this command, the _TAG_ in the "infile" is substituted with "$myvar" but NOT the value "1234"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to extract characters

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to extract characters from a line using SED. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to extract characters

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to extract characters from a line using SED. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with substituting using sed

have a fileA containing about 260 lines wherein i have to match 2 lines fileA blah blah OF 90 DAYS DOCS PERIOD 12/06/0" Pairs_Id 52006 Amount1 -300000.0 Amount2 15091500.10 Codifiers_Id 0 OriginalId 0 EOT --blah blah blah TBL Tradt_IN CardRate 0.0 hashAmount -15091500.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnyboy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting a shell variable in sed

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how to use a shell variable inside my sed command. I just want to remove a certain part of a path. I've tried three different combinations and none of them work. Here are the three combinations: echo $file | sed 's/'$test'//' echo $file | sed "s/$test//"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the Characters '[' and ']' with Sed

Hi, I am new to Sed and would like to know if it is possible to remove the characters . I have a couple of files with a keyword and would like to remove the substring. I am Using sed s/// but Its not working Thanks for your Support Andrew Borg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewborg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with sed and substituting a string with special characters in variable

Hey guys, I know that title is a mouthful - I'll try to better explain my struggles a little better... What I'm trying to do is: 1. Query a db and output to a file, a list of column data. 2. Then, for each line in this file, repeat these values but wrap them with: ITEM{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error while substituting variable using sed..

I am using script for substitute one variable with another variable like below... below code works fine... sed 's/'$sub_fun'/'$To_sub'/g' But when i run the same code from the script getting below errors.. sed: -e expression #1, char 7: unterminated `s' command please help....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
SYBASE_RESULT(3)														  SYBASE_RESULT(3)

sybase_result - Get result data

SYNOPSIS
string sybase_result (resource $result, int $row, mixed $field) DESCRIPTION
Returns the contents of the cell at the row and offset in the specified Sybase result set. When working on large result sets, you should consider using one of the functions that fetch an entire row (specified below). As these functions return the contents of multiple cells in one function call, they're MUCH quicker than sybase_result(). Also, note that specifying a numeric offset for the field argument is much quicker than specifying a fieldname or tablename.fieldname argument. Recommended high-performance alternatives: sybase_fetch_row(3), sybase_fetch_array(3) and sybase_fetch_object(3). PARAMETERS
o $result - o $row - o $field - The field argument can be the field's offset, or the field's name, or the field's table dot field's name (tablename.fieldname). If the column name has been aliased ('select foo as bar from...'), use the alias instead of the column name. RETURN VALUES
sybase_result(3) returns the contents of one cell from a Sybase result set. PHP Documentation Group SYBASE_RESULT(3)