Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Need help with for loop with while read Post 302305341 by TonyFullerMalv on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 03:16:46 PM
Old 04-08-2009
I've had this before and it is a problem with nested while; do done loops.

A simple test would be to run:
Code:
while read QNAME PRTIP PTYPE; do
  echo QNAME = ${QNAME}
  echo PRTIP = ${PRTIP}
  echo PTYPE = ${PTYPE}
done < ${MULTIFILE}

Then but the next for or while loop in and so on to prove if the nesting of one of the loops is a loop too far!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read inside a while loop

Hi all, In a while loop, like below... while read line do read choice case $choice in 1) echo "xxx" esac done < file why I can't run the read choice???? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dta4316
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Please explain read in a while loop

I have a script which tries to read input from a user for every value read from a file. The input file is #> more testfile TEST1 | D200 | 12345601 | | ABC company | m TEST2 | D201 | 12345602 | | ABC company | m The script test.sh is as follows while read line do read test?"Enter a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help : while read loop

hi all, Can you please help me with this issue ? while ####infinite loop do cat file1 |while read var1 var2 do func1 $var1 $var2 done cat file2 | while read var11 var22 do func2 $var11 $var22 done done func1 is called till all the values are read... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navatha
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read line in a for loop

Hi All, How can we use read line using the index value of a FOR loop? eg: pt_mstr,pt_status,8 pt_mstr,pt_buyer,8 pt_mstr,pt_sfty_stk,8 pt_mstr,pt_ord_pol,3 pt_mstr,pt_capacity,8 pt_mstr,pt_plan_ord,3 pt_mstr,pt_ord_mult,8 From this file i want to read the line2, 3 and 4 only using a FOR... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balajim
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if elif loop with read

I am trying to setup an if, elif statement that is dependant on a variable. If the user does not enter a valid option I would like it to prompt them again and start the loop over. Here is what I have so far: echo -n "enter variable (a, b, or c): " read freq if ; then echo "a" elif ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BStanley346
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep within while read loop

I have a key file $ cat klist 5 N:8855 CASA VERDE ROAD :32827 :ORLAND 5 N:585 MOLLY LANE :30189 :WOODST 5 N:320 NINA ROAD :32304 :TALLAH and a data file, see example of the line below: N:RT 15 & N 7TH STREET :17837 :U SAVE I need to search by key (2nd field) from klist... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

until loop and read

Hi guys what I wanna do is to create a script where can I input several times a file - assume with read function that will be inserted into a temp. file for further processing. When I press q I want that the loop will stop and continue in my script I typed this but the options q is not working... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read statement within while read loop

hi, this is my script #!/bin/ksh cat temp_file.dat | while read line do read test if ]; then break else echo "ERROR" fi done when i execute this code , the script does wait for the user input . it directly prints "ERROR" and terminates after the no. of times as there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva1612
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with while read loop

Hey all, Tried searching the forums but my search-fu may not be strong today; please feel free to redirect me if I have simply missed a post that would be helpful! Trying to create a while loop that reads a list of configuration files, checks for a line that starts with "SOME_CMD" and ends... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdwyer
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

While read line loop

Based on text file: PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title1 FILE:/media/cache/281662-14.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title2 FILE:/media/cache/281662-15.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title3 FILE:/media/cache/281662-16.jpg PATH:/media/hdd/Media/Video/title4 FILE:/media/cache/281662-17.jpg... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: TiedCone
12 Replies
PTYPE(3)						 MBK UTILITY STRUCTURE DEFINITIONS						  PTYPE(3)

NAME
ptype - mbk list of typed pointers DESCRIPTION
The ptype is used to save typed pointers in a list. The use of this structure is strongly recommanded, when such a need occurs. It is the case in the USER field of all mbk layout and netlist objects, where data specific to different proccessing may be accessed through this unique field. It is the charge of the user to give its pointers a type that will not collide with existing types. The declarations needed to work on ptype are available in the header file "/labo/include/mut315.h", where '315' is the actual mbk version. The following C structure describes the list of typed pointers : typedef struct ptype { struct ptype *NEXT; void *DATA; long TYPE; } ptype_list; NEXT Pointer to the next ptype of the list. DATA Generic pointer that may point where the user wants to. TYPE Identifier of the user of the pointed data. One shall not access someone else ptype since it doesn't know what's in it. This means also that a ptype user should free the space taken by its datas since it is the only one to know how to do it. Remark 1: a specialized memory allocator has been built in order to create and free ptype_lists, so absolutly avoid to create or free them an other way than through the access functions. Remark 2: Now a day, three tools are known to use the USER field of some mbk structures : VTIPARSER the parser of vti physical format '.cp' files uses the phcon(3) USER field. LOFIGCHAIN the lofigchain function constructs a dual representation of the netlist in the USER field of the losig(3) structure. PLACEABOX Genlib's physical placement functions, in order to have model sizes in instances. It uses the phins(3) USER field. SEE ALSO
mbk(1), addptype(3), freeptype(3), getptype(3), delptype(3). BUG REPORT
This tool is under development at the ASIM department of the LIP6 laboratory. We need your feedback to improve documentation and tools. ASIM
/LIP6 October 1, 1997 PTYPE(3)