Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing a simple loop in perl Post 302305317 by docdudetheman on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 02:05:36 PM
Old 04-08-2009
Cheers

Thank you very much . I'll look into what you suggested and also learn more Perl (including hashes) as Kevin suggested here and elsewhere.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help writing simple script

I'm trying to write a simple unix script that will delete files after 30 days of being created. I've never done this before but conceptually it sounds easy. Here is what I'm trying to do: Get System Date Get File Date If (sysdate-filedate>30days) rm file All of these files are contained... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamdoankc
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing to variables within a loop

I have a loop which will go round "i" number of times and return a value each time. Is there a way to set a variable(i) such that I will end up with variable(1), variable(2), variable(3) etc. for however many times the loop went round? eg: for (i=1;i<=3;i++) --do some sums--... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! writing simple shell script

how would i write a shell script to show the number of lines in which int variable appears in a c++ program. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deadleg
3 Replies

4. Programming

Tools for writing a simple syntax checker?

I'm trying to write a small utility for syntax checking. I've tried using Flex/Bison, but these seem too advanced for my task. A simpler tool would be appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ilja
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Writing simple python setup commands

Building software in most languages is a pain. Remember ant build.xml, maven2 pom files, and multi-level makefiles? Python has a simple solution for building modules, applications, and extensions called distutils. Disutils comes as part of the Python distribution so there are no other packages... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with writing simple bash script

I want to write a bash script to: 1. Send an email from localhost to an external gmail account. (gmail then automatically forwards the message back to a pop account on the same server. 2. Script waits 3 minutes then checks to see if the email arrived, and if not, it sends an email to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sallyanne
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem writing a simple c shell script

#!/bin/csh echo hello world this is what i got in a text file called ss1. i type "chmod 755 ss1.txt" to make it executable. then when i type ss1 or ss1.txt it says "ss1 command not found" what am i doing wrong? (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: pantelis
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing a simple script to get total number of cpus/cores in server

Hi, I am very new to scripting and I wanted to write a unix shell script which can give me, 1)number of cpu's in a box 2)number of cores per cpu 3)total number of cores in abox (ie multiplying 1&2) I am also trying to figure out how to check if hyper-threading is enabled in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steven12
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a for loop to manipulate multiple files

Hi, I have 1000 text files in a folder that are labeled data1.txt all the way to data1000.txt. I want to write a small script that manipulates the text files in this way: (1) cut the 2nd and 9th columns of the text files (2) sort by the numerical value in the 9th column (3) then save the rows... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
3 Replies
Fcntl(3pm)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						Fcntl(3pm)

NAME
Fcntl - load the C Fcntl.h defines SYNOPSIS
use Fcntl; use Fcntl qw(:DEFAULT :flock); DESCRIPTION
This module is just a translation of the C fcntl.h file. Unlike the old mechanism of requiring a translated fcntl.ph file, this uses the h2xs program (see the Perl source distribution) and your native C compiler. This means that it has a far more likely chance of getting the numbers right. NOTE
Only "#define" symbols get translated; you must still correctly pack up your own arguments to pass as args for locking functions, etc. EXPORTED SYMBOLS
By default your system's F_* and O_* constants (eg, F_DUPFD and O_CREAT) and the FD_CLOEXEC constant are exported into your namespace. You can request that the flock() constants (LOCK_SH, LOCK_EX, LOCK_NB and LOCK_UN) be provided by using the tag ":flock". See Exporter. You can request that the old constants (FAPPEND, FASYNC, FCREAT, FDEFER, FEXCL, FNDELAY, FNONBLOCK, FSYNC, FTRUNC) be provided for compatibility reasons by using the tag ":Fcompat". For new applications the newer versions of these constants are suggested (O_APPEND, O_ASYNC, O_CREAT, O_DEFER, O_EXCL, O_NDELAY, O_NONBLOCK, O_SYNC, O_TRUNC). For ease of use also the SEEK_* constants (for seek() and sysseek(), e.g. SEEK_END) and the S_I* constants (for chmod() and stat()) are available for import. They can be imported either separately or using the tags ":seek" and ":mode". Please refer to your native fcntl(2), open(2), fseek(3), lseek(2) (equal to Perl's seek() and sysseek(), respectively), and chmod(2) documentation to see what constants are implemented in your system. See perlopentut to learn about the uses of the O_* constants with sysopen(). See "seek" in perlfunc and "sysseek" in perlfunc about the SEEK_* constants. See "stat" in perlfunc about the S_I* constants. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Fcntl(3pm)