Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Substituting Characters using SED Post 302305304 by altamaha on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 01:26:22 PM
Old 04-08-2009
Substituting Characters using SED

Can SED be used to substitute a character (y) with a character (Y) in a specified field?

File has 12000 : delimeted rows as;

HHC 1 BDE:Lastname, Firstname MI:firstname.mi.lastname@mil:SGT
HHC 2 BDE:Lastname, Firstname MI:Firstname.MI.Lastname@mil:SGT

I wish to replace the capital letters in the 3rd field of the second row with lowercase letters.

Thanks,
JB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting with value of variable in Sed

Hi, I have a program in which i have to substitute a TAG in a file with the value of a variable. Code Snippet: ---------------- myvar=1234 sed 's/_TAG_/$myvar/' infile outfile When I run this command, the _TAG_ in the "infile" is substituted with "$myvar" but NOT the value "1234"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to extract characters

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to extract characters from a line using SED. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED to extract characters

Hi, Please let me know how do we write a piece of code to extract characters from a line using SED. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shilpi
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with substituting using sed

have a fileA containing about 260 lines wherein i have to match 2 lines fileA blah blah OF 90 DAYS DOCS PERIOD 12/06/0" Pairs_Id 52006 Amount1 -300000.0 Amount2 15091500.10 Codifiers_Id 0 OriginalId 0 EOT --blah blah blah TBL Tradt_IN CardRate 0.0 hashAmount -15091500.0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnyboy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting a shell variable in sed

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out how to use a shell variable inside my sed command. I just want to remove a certain part of a path. I've tried three different combinations and none of them work. Here are the three combinations: echo $file | sed 's/'$test'//' echo $file | sed "s/$test//"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chu816
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the Characters '[' and ']' with Sed

Hi, I am new to Sed and would like to know if it is possible to remove the characters . I have a couple of files with a keyword and would like to remove the substring. I am Using sed s/// but Its not working Thanks for your Support Andrew Borg (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andrewborg
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing specific characters and control characters by escaping

sed -e "s// /g" old.txt > new.txt While I do know some control characters need to be escaped, can normal characters also be escaped and still work the same way? Basically I do not know all control characters that have a special meaning, for example, ?, ., % have a meaning and have to be escaped... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ijustneeda
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble with sed and substituting a string with special characters in variable

Hey guys, I know that title is a mouthful - I'll try to better explain my struggles a little better... What I'm trying to do is: 1. Query a db and output to a file, a list of column data. 2. Then, for each line in this file, repeat these values but wrap them with: ITEM{ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ampsys
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting error while substituting variable using sed..

I am using script for substitute one variable with another variable like below... below code works fine... sed 's/'$sub_fun'/'$To_sub'/g' But when i run the same code from the script getting below errors.. sed: -e expression #1, char 7: unterminated `s' command please help....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pamu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Outputting characters after a given string and reporting the characters in the row below --sed

I have this fastq file: @M04961:22:000000000-B5VGJ:1:1101:9280:7106 1:N:0:86 GGGGGGGGGGGGCATGAAAACATACAAACCGTCTTTCCAGAAATTGTTCCAAGTATCGGCAACAGCTTTATCAATACCATGAAAAATATCAACCACACCA +test-1 GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGCCGGGGGFF,EDFFGEDFG,@DGGCGGEGGG7DCGGGF68CGFFFGGGG@CGDGFFDFEFEFF:30CGAFFDFEFF8CAF;;8... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
10 Replies
GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3) 						 1						   GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3)

get_magic_quotes_gpc - Gets the current configuration setting of magic_quotes_gpc

SYNOPSIS
bool get_magic_quotes_gpc (void ) DESCRIPTION
Returns the current configuration setting of magic_quotes_gpc Keep in mind that attempting to set magic_quotes_gpc at runtime will not work. For more information about magic_quotes, see this security section. RETURN VALUES
Returns 0 if magic_quotes_gpc is off, 1 otherwise. Or always returns FALSE as of PHP 5.4.0. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.4.0 | | | | | | | Always returns FALSE because the magic quotes | | | feature was removed from PHP. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ EXAMPLES
Example #1 get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) example <?php // If magic quotes are enabled echo $_POST['lastname']; // O'reilly echo addslashes($_POST['lastname']); // O\'reilly // Usage across all PHP versions if (get_magic_quotes_gpc()) { $lastname = stripslashes($_POST['lastname']); } else { $lastname = $_POST['lastname']; } // If using MySQL $lastname = mysql_real_escape_string($lastname); echo $lastname; // O'reilly $sql = "INSERT INTO lastnames (lastname) VALUES ('$lastname')"; ?> NOTES
Note If the directive magic_quotes_sybase is ON it will completely override magic_quotes_gpc. So even when get_magic_quotes_gpc(3) returns TRUE neither double quotes, backslashes or NUL's will be escaped. Only single quotes will be escaped. In this case they'll look like: '' SEE ALSO
addslashes(3), stripslashes(3), get_magic_quotes_runtime(3), ini_get(3). PHP Documentation Group GET_MAGIC_QUOTES_GPC(3)