Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Error Redirections
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Error Redirections Post 302305072 by zainravi on Wednesday 8th of April 2009 12:13:54 AM
Old 04-08-2009
Trapping the "return code"

Could kindly advise on the above query pelase.

[I am aware of grepping though the log file for any errors technique ... but I would want the command script to validate the UNIX return code and not the "log file" content"]

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error: Internal system error: Unable to initialize standard output file

Hey guys, need some help. Running AIX Version 5.2 and one of our cron jobs is writing errors to a log file. Any ideas on the following error message. Error: Internal system error: Unable to initialize standard output file I'm guessing more info might be needed, so let me know. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firkus
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple redirections

I have a line in my script which reads as exec >> $LOG 2>&1 However I am required to get input from the user somewhere in between as follows. read var?"Enter a value:" < /dev/tty The execution of the script puts the prompt of the read command to the log file rather than the console,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

4. AIX

nim mksysb error :/usr/bin/savevg[33]: 1016,07: syntax error

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hello, help me please. I am trying to create a mksysb bakup using nim. I am geting this error, how to correct it ? : Command : failed stdout: yes stderr: no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: astjen
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

> 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " error

im kinda new to shell scripting so i need some help i try to run this script and get the error code > 5 ")syntax error: operand expected (error token is " the code for the script is #!/bin/sh # # script to see if the given value is correct # # Define errors ER_AF=86 # Var is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metal005
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

too many redirections error

When i try to run script in Linux, i get an error: ./MoveToHistory_ROAMING.sh: too many redirections What is the reason? Thank you. Please use code tags! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annar
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Authentication error; why = Failed (unspecified error)

I have two servers with a fresh install of Solaris 11, and having problems when doing rpcinfo between them. There is no firewall involved, so everything should theoretically be getting through. Does anyone have any ideas? I did a lot of Google searches, and haven't found a working solution yet. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: christr
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 audit, need to catch redirections

Hello, I've installed solaris audit on a Solaris 10 SPARC system. Latest patch 143962-04 is installed. My problem is that while I can catch all arguments and processes created, I cannot catch a redirection. ie cat /tmp/test.txt > /tmp/test2.txtCatches the first part but not the redirection.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gowron
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print Error in Console and both Error & Output in Log file - UNIX

I am writing a shell script with 2 run time arguments. During the execution if i got any error, then it needs to redirected to a error file and in console. Also both error and output to be redirected to a log file. But i am facing the below error. #! /bin/sh errExit () { errMsg=`cat... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
1 Replies
FLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  FLOCK(1)

NAME
flock -- Provide locking API for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
flock [-dnosvx] [-w timeout] lockfile|lockdir [-c command] | [command ...] flock [-dnsuvx] [-w timeout] lockfd DESCRIPTION
The flock utility provides flock(2) access to the command line or scripts. The first form locks a file or directory while the command pro- vided is executed. If the file or directory does not exist, then a file is created. The second form can use an arbitrary file descriptor that is provided from a shell script for example: ( flock -s 100 # commands to be executed under the lock ) 100> /path/to/lockfile The following options are available: -c command Pass a command to a the shell. -d, --debug Provide debugging output. -n, --nb, --nonblock Don't block and fail immediately if the lock could not be obtained. -o, --close Close the file before executing the command. This is useful if the child forks and should not be holding the lock. -s, --shared Obtain a shared lock. -u, --unlock Unlock an existing lock. This is available only for a file descriptor. -v, --verbose On error print an explanation of the failure. -w, --wait, --timeout seconds Fail if the lock could not be obtained after seconds. -x, --exclusive Obtain an exclusive lock. EXIT STATUS
The flock utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
shlock(1), flock(2) HISTORY
An flock utility appeared in NetBSD 6.1. BSD
November 2, 2012 BSD