Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk's getline < "-" seems not work for pipe Post 302305067 by qiulang on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 11:56:54 PM
Old 04-08-2009
awk's getline < "-" seems not work for pipe

Hi all,

I have an gawk script to get user's input, So I use

getline name < "-" (or getline name < "/dev/stdin") in my script

They both work fine when my script deals with files. But it is broken for pipes.
When I try "some command | my awk script", the variable name just gets an empty value (""), it does not get the value from stdin at all.

Why is that ? And how do I fix it ?

Last edited by qiulang; 04-08-2009 at 09:01 AM..

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

By angle-brackets/"pipe" button doesn't work?

How can I configure it? I have a swedish keyboard with swedish keyboard setting. Everything works perfectly (едц) except that button. What can be wrong? /Richard ++ NOTE: It seems like the computer notices the input but that the button isn't assigned to anything (the keyboard-cursor stops).... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: riwa
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: getline NOM < "-" script does not stop

Well , i have: $ cat example.dat 1 2 3 4 5 $ cat getline3.awk function getName (NOM) { printf "Enter a filename: " getline NOM < "-" # get response return NOM } BEGIN { printf ("\nREP: %s\n",getName(N)) } {print} This example works fine: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

acessing awk array element while getline < "file"

I am attempting to write a awk script that reads in a file after awk array elements are assigned and using those elements while reading in the new file. Does this make sense? /pattern/ {tst=$3} (( getline < "file" ) > 0 ) { x=x " "tst } When I print tst in the END statement it... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Search and Replace inside the pipe "|"

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to replace the qoutes inside the pipe | in my Text File like belows; "AAAA"|"Test "1-A""|"Test AAAA"|"This is A" "BBBB"|"Test "1-B""|"Test BBBB"|"This is B" "CCCC"|"My Test C"|"Test "CCCC""|"This is C" The output I need like belows; "AAAA"|"Test 1-A"|"Test... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script does not work when written as "one-liner"

In my quest to solve a bigger problem (See my previous post called "Create SQL DML insert statements from file using AWK or similar" - sorry, not allowed to post urls until I have > 5 posts) I'm trying to get my head round awk, but have some problem figuring out why the following script does work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagi Uda
2 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)