Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users mysqldump slowing down the process? Post 302305002 by DILEEP410 on Tuesday 7th of April 2009 05:58:34 PM
Old 04-07-2009
Java mysqldump slowing down the process?

Hi All,

I have a data calculation process-a perl script running each and every hour which will do some calculations on the data stored in a mysql server. Normally it tooks around 2minutes (max) to complete.

But in case if i did any actions on the linux box where the database is hosted, it is slowing down the process so as to finish the job in 30-50 minutes. I am just doing a mysqldump in the early hours of morning which is slowing down the very next process run. The process run is starting slowly but picking up it's speed and will finish up in it's own fashion, but overall 30-50 minutes it will consume.

I tried to do some optimization on the db server, moved the db server to a different box apart from where the perl script is running ie, loadserver but no change. I also noticed the io% consumed while the job is running and it is too high initially when the process start, then slows down gradually.

Here goes the version information:

Code:
MySQL:
        version    :   5.0.51a-24
        version_comment   :  (Debian)
        version_compile_machine :  i486
        version_compile_os  : debian-linux-gnu

Kernel version: 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP
Operating System: Debian 5.0 (lenny)

Can anyone face the similar scenario? Any ideas on this? Your help is very much appreciated!

With Regards
Dileep Pattayath

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mysqldump script without hardcode password

OS: Linux ambglx02 2.6.16.60-0.21-default #1 Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Shell: bash Currently I have a mysqldump script to backup my mysql database, the command is as below: /opt/novell/mysql/bin/mysqldump --add-drop-table -u root -p -h mydb > /home/john/mydb.sql ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bulkbiz
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed for mysqldump command

I want to take a backup of a database and redirect the output of the whole process to a log file. I am using the below command: mysqldump -A --add-drop-table > mysql-daily-backup.sql &> /tmp/backup_log/mysql.log Is there anything wrong with the syntax? ---------- Post updated at 08:32 PM... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with my crontab file, using mysqldump

My crontab file tells cron to run a certain shell script at 10:30 AM every day. The shell script backs up my database with mysqldump and then runs a sed script that does some editing of the backup file. I have programmed the shell script to write an error message to a file I have in my home... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ultrix
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail process "Toomany" system slowing down

Hello Experts I have M4000 Solaris 10 server, from few many days there are too many sendmail and mail.local process starting on server and each time i need to kill mannualy using pkill send mail, some time there will 600 of them taking 30mb memory for each and hence slowing down the server,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: karghum
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mysqldump certain tables

Hi, I have to upload part of my database periodically when i make changes to product data etc. However I only want to upload certain tables. We suffer from bandwidth chock here, so i want to write a couple of separate scripts that upload parts of the database that changed. The database is large... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect slowing down / missing characters

Im writing an expect program to connect to cisco routers and run commands. my commands file has only two entries show version show running-config when I run the script, the first command is run without a problem. The second command isn't. The "s" is missing at the device command line,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: popeye
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mysqldump rotate backup

I have a very simple script that uses a cron job to take a daily backup of our orders database. echo "Dumping ORDERS database"; mysqldump -u root --password='mypassword' -h '1.1.1.1' --opt --compress ORDERS $tbl_names > /Volumes/Files_Backup_1/db_backups/orders.sql echo "Copied database to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timgolding
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

awk slowing down -- why?

I have an awk script that extracts data from log files and generates a report. The script is incrementing elements in arrays, summing fields depending on contents of other fields, and then in END performing some operations on those arrays. It seemed to be taking longer than it should on my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help with automatically Import from special mysqldump

Hi @ all I need a little bit help with a tricky problem ... Here´s the situation: We´ve 2 MySQL-Servers, one is productive, the other is Backup. At the productive Server there runs every 2 hours a cron Job which does a Dump from MySQL-DB with script 'automysqlbackup.sh' and copy it then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jackcracker
7 Replies
stopped(7)						 Miscellaneous Information Manual						stopped(7)

NAME
stopped - event signalling that a job has stopped SYNOPSIS
stopped JOB=JOB INSTANCE=INSTANCE RESULT=RESULT [PROCESS=PROCESS] [EXIT_STATUS=STATUS] [EXIT_SIGNAL=SIGNAL] [ENV]... DESCRIPTION
The stopped event is generated by the Upstart init(8) daemon when an instance of a job has stopped. The JOB environment variable contains the job name, and the INSTANCE environment variable contains the instance name which will be empty for single-instance jobs. If the job was stopped normally, the RESULT environment variable will be ok, otherwise if the job was stopped because it has failed it will be failed. When the job has failed, the process that failed will be given in the PROCESS environment variable. This may be pre-start, post-start, main, pre-stop or post-stop; it may also be the special value respawn to indicate that the job was stopped because it hit the respawn limit. Finally in the case of a failed job, one of either EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL may be given to indicate the cause of the stop. Either EXIT_STATUS will contain the exit status code of the process, or EXIT_SIGNAL will contain the name of the signal that the process received. The normal exit job configuration stanza can be used to prevent particular exit status values or signals resulting in a failed job, see init(5) for more information. If neither EXIT_STATUS or EXIT_SIGNAL is given for a failed process, it is because the process failed to spawn (for example, file not found). See the system logs for the error. init(8) emits this event as an informational signal, services and tasks started or stopped by this event will do so in parallel with other activity. It is typically combined with the starting(7) event by services when inserting themselves as a dependency. Job configuration files may use the export stanza to export environment variables from their own environment into the stopped event. See init(5) for more details. EXAMPLE
A service that wishes to be running whenever another service would be running, started before and stopped after it, might use: start on starting apache stop on stopped apache A task that must be run after another task or service has been stopped might use: start on stopped postgresql SEE ALSO
starting(7) started(7) stopping(7) init(5) Upstart 2009-07-09 stopped(7)