Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell Script to end process help Post 302304089 by methyl on Saturday 4th of April 2009 09:07:56 PM
Old 04-04-2009
I lost the plot on what you are attempting to do.

Quote:
assign1.sh: 14:44:54: not found
Explanation of the error message: Your script is attempting to execute a command called 14:44.54 between the backticks here.

Quote:
current_time=`$current_time | awk -F: '{print $1*60+$2}'`
Without examining the syntax too closely you probably meant to get the contents of $current_time onto the pipe rather than execute $current_time :

Code:
current_time=`echo $current_time | awk -F: '{print $1*60+$2}'`

Quote:
STIME=`ps -u $USERNAME -f | grep $1 | awk -F" " '{print$5}'`
Beware of fuzzy matching with grep. In this line the parameter $1 could match any like number in the "ps -fu $USERNAME" output. For example the parent PID of a subprocess or say some part of the cpu usage. In this form of grep it would find "12" in "61234" or in "12:46".
Tip: "ps -fp${process_id}" would give you the status of that one process.

Sorry to be unhelpful but I believe that this script design is fundamentally flawed because "ps" changes the date format as processes get older and this changes the positional parameters presented to awk.
Login as root have a look at "ps -ef" on a system which has been up for more than 24 hours.

Last edited by methyl; 04-04-2009 at 10:09 PM.. Reason: tags displaced

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

end of file problem with shell script

My shell script was working ok with K shell. But all of sudden, it started acting crazy. it keeps saying this: syntax error at line 70 : `"' unmatched I don't even have 70 lines in my file or this : syntax error at line 69: `end of file' unexpected Can this file got... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add notes at the end of shell script

i was wondering how to add a notes section for the user to enter in a shell script, as my shell script is a menu based on configurations of hardware and software help is appreciated (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zuberk
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with shell script: moving end of line character

Hello. I have a file (old.txt) that I need to copy into another file (new.txt). Each line on old.txt ends with CR/LF but the position of CR/LF varies from one record to another. I need to copy each line of record to new.txt and move CR/LF in pos 165. Can I use awk to achieve this? How?... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script to Kill Process(number of process) Unix/Solaris

Hi Experts, we do have a shell script for Unix Solaris, which will kill all the process manullay, it used to work in my previous env, but now it is throwing this error.. could some one please help me to resolve it This is how we execute the script (and this is the requirement) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyvic
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from parent shell within a shell script

Hi, I am looking for a solution for the following problem: Im Using tcpdump within a shellskript started in a subshell by using brackets: ( /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i ... -c 1 ) - I want the outout of tcpdump saved in a variable - Than tcpdump-Process in the Subshell should be killed - and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu for end user - difficult challenge

Hello, I need to make shell script menu for my end users. There is like 100 scripts in system, and they need to run that scripts true one main script with user friendly menu. Example, when user will run main menu script, it will get something like this on his screen:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: waso
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script menu for end user - difficult challenge 2

Hello, I need to make shell script menu for my end users. There is like 100 scripts in system, and they need to run that scripts true one main script with user friendly menu. Example, when user will run main menu script, it will get something like this on his screen:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: waso
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How does a shell script recognize the end of a line?

Hi friends , I want to know how does a shell script recognize the end of a line? . i have hunddres of proccedure to test where i want to ingnore the comments which starts with "--" .. it can start from the middle of the lines also. for example:: select * from table1; -- getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: neelmani
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check line end not ending with comma

I have several line in a text file. for example I like apple; I like apple I like orange; Output: I like apple I try to useif grep -q "!\;$"; then (Not work) Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code segments (as required by forum rules). (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmdcmd
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Spooling File to My Desktop From Back-end using shell script

Hello all, I am trying to spool a SQL query output file from back-end to desktop in a certain path but it didn't work,the query writes the output in a file in the same directory at the back-end. note : i use the same query in sql developper and file was created in the desired path fine code... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bmaksoud
1 Replies
ADSL-CONNECT(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   ADSL-CONNECT(8)

NAME
adsl-connect - Shell script to manage a PPPoE link SYNOPSIS
adsl-connect [config_file] adsl-connect interface user [config_file] DESCRIPTION
adsl-connect is a shell script which manages an ADSL connection using the Roaring Penguin user-space PPPoE client. If you omit con- fig_file, the default file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 is used. If you supply interface and user, then they override the Ethernet interface and user-name settings in the configuration file. Note that normally, you should not invoke adsl-connect directly. Instead, use adsl-start to bring up the ADSL connection. adsl-connect first reads a configuration file. It then brings up a PPPoE connection. If the connection ever drops, a message is logged to syslog, and adsl-connect re-establishes the connection. In addition, each time the connection is dropped or cannot be established, adsl- connect executes the script /etc/ppp/adsl-lost if it exists and is executable. The shell script adsl-stop causes adsl-connect to break out of its loop, bring the connection down, and exit. TECHNICAL DETAILS
adsl-connect uses the following shell variables from the configuration file: ETH The Ethernet interface connected to the ADSL modem (for example, eth0). USER The ADSL user-id (for example, b1xxnxnx@sympatico.ca). PIDFILE A file in which to write the process-ID of the adsl-connect process (for example, /var/run/pppoe.pid). Two additional files ($PID- FILE.pppd and $PIDFILE.pppoe) hold the process-ID's of the pppd and pppoe processes, respectively. By using different configuration files with different PIDFILE settings, you can manage multiple PPPoE connections. Just specify the con- figuration file as an argument to adsl-start and adsl-stop. AUTHOR
adsl-connect was written by David F. Skoll <dfs@roaringpenguin.com>. The pppoe home page is http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/. SEE ALSO
pppoe(8), adsl-start(8), adsl-stop(8), pppd(8), pppoe.conf(5), adsl-setup(8), adsl-status(8), pppoe-sniff(8), pppoe-server(8), pppoe- relay(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution 21 February 2000 ADSL-CONNECT(8)