Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: searching
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers searching Post 302303987 by trob on Saturday 4th of April 2009 09:08:59 AM
Old 04-04-2009
searching

How would i search to find all the lines consisting of of only the letter "z" followed by any four characters?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching for {

Hello, I am having a hard time trying to do the following: I have a file that looks like this: 0 CacheMaxConn 4 64 0 RMThread 16 3423423 7 DataSource 0 /hello/sas/ses 0 {94545B4-E343-1410-81E4-08000000} 3 DDBE 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yotoruja
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching searching

Guys Im checking some of my files for errors. I want to be able to find text and make sure it's located on the right place. Example Chapter 1 TEXT LKJ TEXT 12Y more and more text Chapter 2 TEXT 34G TEXT HHG more and more text Chapter 3 TEXT FG45 TEXT 11w more and more text ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tony3101
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching Files

Hi, I have a file /db01/dat/march 2006/7001DW06.03B Please note, between "march 2006" there is a space/tab. While running the following script, it identifies /db01/dat/march ----> as first file 2006/7001DW06.03B ---> as second file. SRC_PATH = /db01/dat SEARCH_FILENAME =... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ronald_brayan
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file

Hi At the moment I am able to add text to a file but what I need to do is make sure the same value is not duplicated. Can anyone tell me how to search a file and prevent an update from taking place if the value to be entered already exists in the file? Any help would be greatly... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: straight_edge
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching in VI

Hi, I would like to do a search and replace on a file using vi. Something like this: :%s/dst_port=****//g I want to search the entire file and replace all text that does not match dst_port=**** with space or nothing. In other words delete everything except for dst_port=****. The four *... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: andyblaylock
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file searching...

Hi! i'm trying to do a script (i'm not an expert, as you will see...:o) to search files in a directory (and its subdirectories). I'd like to have something like this: mysearch -a arg1 -b arg2 -c arg3 ecc... I'd like to be able to search for files in different ways: for example, with my... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kaminski
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Searching for files

Hi, I have the following command to list files beginning with a specific name and containing some text... find . -type f -name "dm_merge_domain_adm*" -exec grep -il "Error Message:" '{}' \; -print|xargs ls -ltr It works fine, but seems to list two of each file, when they only exist once...any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chrislluff1976
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep searching

I am making a script but having little problem. at one part I need to find one number format or other format from a file.. those formats are xxx-xx-xxxx or xxxxxxxxx i tried grep '( \{3\}-\{2\}-\{3\} |\{9\})' if i do them sepratly it work but like this it is not working Please check... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learnerabc
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching

Hi guys, I have a very common issue :( im trying to work it out but I am still not used to it. my problem is searching. very often I should look for piece of string in a text file or a file itself: I want to learn some easy and professional commands to ease this routine for me. I want to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messi777
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies
FTFF(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   FTFF(1)

NAME
ftff - fault tolerant file find utility SYNOPSIS
ftff [-#fFhIpq][-t#][start_directory] file_to_find DESCRIPTION
ftff recursively descends the directory hierarchy and reports all objects in the file system with a name that approximately matches the given filename. ftff achieves fault tolerance by calculating the so called Weighted Levenshtein Distance. The Levenshtein Distance is defined as the minimum number of character insertions, deletions and replacements that transform a string A into a string B. ftff behaves like 'find start_directory -name file_to_find -print' with the following differences: - ftff is fault tolerant - ftff is NOT case sensitive - the level of fault tolerance can be adjusted by specifying the optional parameter tolerance. A tolerance of 0 specifies exact match. OPTIONS
-h Prints a little help/usage information. -f Follow symbolic links on directories. Note: a symbolic link like "somewhere -> .." causes naturally an endless loop. By default ftff does not follow symbolic links to directories. -F Classify the file type by appending a character to each file name. This character is: '*' for regular files that are executable '/' for directories '@' for symbolic links '|' for FIFOs '=' for sockets -p print the actual distance value in front of the filename. This value is equal to the number of insertions, deletions and replace- ments necessary to transform the file that was found into the search key (the file_to_find). -q keep quiet and do not print any warning about non readable directories. -# or -t# Set the fault tolerance level to #. The fault tolerance level is an integer in the range 0-255. It specifies the maximum number of errors permitted in finding the approximate match. The default tolerance is (strlen(searchpattern) - number of wildcards)/6 + 1 -I Do case sensitive search (default is case in-sensitive) file_to_find The filename to search for. '*' and '?' can be used as wildcards. '?' denotes one single character. '*' denotes an arbitrary number of characters. start_directory The directory to start the search. The current directory is the default. The last argument to ftff is not parsed for options as the program needs at least one file-name argument. This means that ftff -x will not complain about a wrong option but search for the file named -x. EXAMPLE
ftff samething This will e.g. find a file called something or sameting or sum-thing or ... To find all files that start with any prefix, have something like IOComm in between and end on a two letter suffix: ftff '*iocomm.??' To find all files that exactly start with the prefix DuPeg: ftff -0 'dupeg*' BUGS
The wildcards '?' and '*' can not be escaped. These characters function always as wildcards. This is however not a big problem since there is normally hardly any file that has these characters in its name. AUTHOR
Guido Socher (guido@linuxfocus.org) SEE ALSO
whichman(1), find(1) Search utilities August 1998 FTFF(1)