Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Shell script question on variables Post 302303957 by vidyadhar85 on Saturday 4th of April 2009 04:13:26 AM
Old 04-04-2009
if its not bash don't use set command
try this
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# set endtime and print elapsed time
starttime=`date +%s`
echo "Value of starttime: " $starttime
sleep 1
endtime=`date +%s`
echo "Value of endtime: " $endtime
elapsedtime=$(($endtime - $starttime))
printf "Script took %02d:%02d:%02d to complete\n" $((elapsedtime/3600)) $((elapsedtime/60%60)) $((elapsedtime%60))

or try this also

Code:
awk -v start_time=$1 -v end_time=$2 'BEGIN{
if ( start_time !~ /^[0-9]/ || end_time !~ /^[0-9]/ )
usage(start_time,end_time)
split(start_time,T2,":")
split(end_time,T1,":")
start_seconds=T1[1]*60*60+T1[2]*60+T1[3]
end_seconds=T2[1]*60*60+T2[2]*60+T2[3]
if ( start_seconds > 86401 || end_seconds > 86401)
usage("out_off_range","")
elapsed_seconds=start_seconds-end_seconds
if( elapsed_seconds < 0 )
{elapsed_seconds=elapsed_seconds*-1
calculate(end_time,start_time,elapsed_seconds)}
else
calculate(start_time,end_time,elapsed_seconds)}
function calculate(start_time,end_time,elapsed_seconds){
HH=elapsed_seconds / 3600
MM=(elapsed_seconds % 3600) / 60
SS=elapsed_seconds % 60
printf  "TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "start_time"(START TIME)-"end_time"(END TIME)--> +%02d:%02d:%02d\n",HH,MM,SS }
function usage(start_time,end_time){
if( start_time=="out_off_range" )
printf "TIME OUT OFF RANGE\n"
else
printf "INVALID TIME FORMAT "start_time" "end_time"\n"
printf "USAGE : time_diff.sh <HH:MM[:SS]> <HH:MM[:SS]>\n"
exit}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Variables

HI guys I need to store the output of a sql query in a variable, can you tell me how to do that eg) select count(*) from s_escl_req $count = count(*) from s_escl_req how would i store the count(*) from the sql statement in a variable called $count. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk/shell question: Read from file and assign to variables.

Is anyone able to help with writing a program that will do the following: 1. Read the contents of a file, line by line, and on each line, assign each of the two columns to a shell variable. 2. perform an action on the variables 3. Read the next line. Here is what I've gotten so far. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

I have a variable $exe in a shell script file a.sh which I need to access in another shell script file b.sh. How can I do that? :rolleyes: Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script called sample1.sh where I have 2 variables. Now I have another shell script called sample2.sh. I want the variables in sample1.sh to be available to sample2.sh. For example. In sample1.sh I am finding the sum of 2 numbers namely a and b. Now I want to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in shell script

mysqldump --compact --add-drop-table -h192.168.150.80 -uroot -p somePass $combined | sed '/$combined/$table/g' | mysql $databaseThe sed part is not working from the above statement. The variables combined and table are already defined and instead of showing the actual variable, it is executing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Shell script variables

hi everyone, i'm writing shell script on hp-ux server that run by root user then (inside the script) su to database user and appl user..the reason for this script is to run some commands involve all users root and database and appl..anyway, variables when root in control is ok but when su, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: neemoze
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

General question about passing variables among shell scripts

So this is something I've been wondering how to do for a while. Suppose I have two shell scripts a.sh and b.sh script a does some function and outputs to a varable $x . I would then like to take $x into the second function, b.sh, and do a function on it and create some output. So how do you pass... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: viored
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
Nagios::StatusLog(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    Nagios::StatusLog(3pm)

NAME
Nagios::StatusLog, Nagios::(Service|Host|Program)::Status - Perl objects to represent the Nagios status file DESCRIPTION
Reads the Nagios status log and returns ::Status objects that can be used to get status information about a host. For Nagios version 2.x logs, pass in the Version => 2.0 parameter to new(). And similarly, pass in the Version => 3.0 parameter to new() for Nagios version 3.x logs. my $log = Nagios::StatusLog->new( Filename => "/var/opt/nagios/status.log", Version => 1.0 ); $localhost = $log->host( "localhost" ); print "status of localhost is now ",$localhost->status()," "; $log->update(); print "status of localhost is now ",$localhost->status()," "; # for Nagios v2.0 my $log = Nagios::StatusLog->new( Filename => "/var/cache/nagios2/status.dat", Version => 2.0 ); # for Nagios v3.0 my $log = Nagios::StatusLog->new( Filename => "/var/cache/nagios3/status.dat", Version => 3.0 ); METHODS
new() Create a new Nagios::StatusLog instance. The object will be initialized for you (using $self->update()). Nagios::StatusLog->new( "/var/opt/nagios/status.log" ); update() Updates the internal data structures from the logfile. $log->update(); service() Returns a Nagios::Service::Status object. Input arguments can be a host_name and description list, or a Nagios::Service object. my $svc_stat = $log->service( "localhost", "SSH" ); my $svc_stat = $log->service( $localhost_ssh_svc_object ); Nagios::Service::Status has the following accessor methods (For V1): host_name description status current_attempt state_type last_check next_check check_type checks_enabled accept_passive_service_checks event_handler_enabled last_state_change problem_has_been_acknowledged last_hard_state time_ok current_notification_number time_warning time_critical process_performance_data notifications_enabled latency scheduled_downtime_depth is_flapping plugin_output percent_state_change execution_time time_unknown failure_prediction_enabled last_notification obsess_over_service flap_detection_enabled list_services() Returns an array of all service descriptions in the status log. Services that may be listed on more than one host are only listed once here. my @all_services = $log->list_services; list_services_on_host() Returns an array of services descriptions for a given host. my @host_services = $log->list_services_on_host($hostname); my @host_services = $log->list_services_on_host($nagios_object); host() Returns a Nagios::Host::Status object. Input can be a simple host_name, a Nagios::Host object, or a Nagios::Service object. my $hst_stat = $log->host( 'localhost' ); my $hst_stat = $log->host( $host_object ); my $hst_stat = $log->host( $svc_object ); Nagios::Host::Status has the following accessor methods (for V1): host_name status last_check last_state_change problem_has_been_acknowledged time_up time_down time_unreachable last_notification current_notification_number notifications_enabled event_handler_enabled checks_enabled flap_detection_enabled is_flapping percent_state_change scheduled_downtime_depth failure_prediction_enabled process_performance_data plugin_output list_hosts() Returns a simple array of host names (no objects). my @hosts = $log->list_hosts; info() [Nagios v2 & v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Info::Status object. It only has two methods, created() and version(). my $i = $log->info; printf "Logfile created at %s unix epoch time for Nagios verion %s ", $i->created, $i->version; contact() [Nagios v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Contact::Status object. Input can be a simple contact_name, or a Nagios::Contact object. my $c = $log->contact( 'john' ); my $c = $log->contact( $contact_object ); Nagios::Contact::Status has the following accessor methods (for v3): contact_name modified_attributes modified_host_attributes modified_service_attributes host_notification_period service_notification_period last_host_notification last_service_notification host_notifications_enabled service_notifications_enabled hostcomment() [Nagios v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Hostcomment::Status object. Input can be a simple host_name, or a Nagios::Host or Nagios::Service object. my $c = $log->hostcomment( 'localhost' ); my $c = $log->hostcomment( $localhost_object ); my $c = $log->hostcomment( $localhost_service_object ); foreach my $id (sort keys %$c) { printf "Host %s has a comment[$id] made by %s on %s: %s", $c->{$id}->host_name, $c->{$id}->author, scalar localtime $c->{$id}->entry_time, $c->{$id}->comment_data; } Nagios::Hostcomment::Status is a perl HASH, keyed with the Nagios comment IDs, where each ID has the following accessor methods (for v3): host_name entry_type comment_id source persistent entry_time expires expire_time author comment_data servicecomment() [Nagios v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Servicecomment::Status object. Input can be a simple host_name or Nagios::Host object with a service description or Nagios::Service object, or just a Nagios::Service object by itself. my $c = $log->servicecomment( 'localhost', 'SSH' ); my $c = $log->servicecomment( $localhost_object, $localhost_ssh_svc_object ); my $c = $log->servicecomment( $localhost_ssh_svc_object ); foreach my $id (sort keys %$c) { printf "Service %s on %s has a comment[$id] made by %s on %s: %s", $c->{$id}->service_description, $c->{$id}->host_name, $c->{$id}->author, scalar localtime $c->{$id}->entry_time, $c->{$id}->comment_data; } Nagios::Servicecomment::Status is a perl HASH, keyed with the Nagios comment IDs, where each ID has the following accessor methods (for v3): host_name service_description entry_type comment_id source persistent entry_time expires expire_time author comment_data hostdowntime() [Nagios v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Hostdowntime::Status object. Input can be a simple host_name, or a Nagios::Host or Nagios::Service object. my $d = $log->hostdowntime( 'localhost' ); my $d = $log->hostdowntime( $localhost_object ); my $d = $log->hostdowntime( $localhost_service_object ); foreach my $id (sort keys %$d) { printf "Host %s has scheduled downtime[$id] made by %s on %s for %.1f hours [%s - %s]: %s", $d->{$id}->host_name, $d->{$id}->author, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->entry_time, ($d->{$id}->duration)/3600.0, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->start_time, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->end_time, $d->{$id}->comment; } Nagios::Hostdowntime::Status is a perl HASH, keyed with the Nagios downtime IDs, where each ID has the following accessor methods (for v3): host_name downtime_id entry_time start_time end_time triggered_by fixed duration author comment servicedowntime() [Nagios v3 logs only] Returns a Nagios::Servicedowntime::Status object. Input can be a simple host_name or Nagios::Host object with a service description or Nagios::Service object, or just a Nagios::Service object by itself. my $c = $log->servicedowntime( 'localhost', 'SSH' ); my $c = $log->servicedowntime( $localhost_object, $localhost_ssh_svc_object ); my $c = $log->servicedowntime( $localhost_ssh_svc_object ); foreach my $id (sort keys %$d) { printf "Service %s on %s has scheduled downtime[$id] made by %s on %s for %.1f hours [%s - %s]: %s", $d->{$id}->service_description, $d->{$id}->host_name, $d->{$id}->author, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->entry_time, ($d->{$id}->duration)/3600.0, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->start_time, scalar localtime $d->{$id}->end_time, $d->{$id}->comment; } Nagios::Servicedowntime::Status is a perl HASH, keyed with the Nagios downtime IDs, where each ID has the following accessor methods (for v3): host_name service_description downtime_id entry_time start_time end_time triggered_by fixed duration author comment program() Returns a Nagios::Program::Status object. No arguments. my $prog_st = $log->program; Nagios::Program::Status has the following accessor methods (For V1): program_start nagios_pid daemon_mode last_command_check last_log_rotation enable_notifications execute_service_checks accept_passive_service_checks enable_event_handlers obsess_over_services enable_flap_detection enable_failure_prediction process_performance_data STRUCTURE
This module contains 4 packages: Nagios::StatusLog, Nagios::Host::Status, Nagios::Service::Status, and Nagios::Program::Status. The latter 3 of them are mostly generated at compile-time in the BEGIN block. The accessor methods are real subroutines, not AUTOLOAD, so making a ton of calls to this module should be fairly quick. Also, update() is set up to only do what it says - updating from a fresh logfile should not invalidate your existing ::Status objects. AUTHOR
Al Tobey <tobeya@tobert.org> SEE ALSO
Nagios::Host Nagios::Service perl v5.12.4 2011-10-22 Nagios::StatusLog(3pm)