Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular Expression Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regular Expression Help Post 302303650 by sickboy on Friday 3rd of April 2009 07:35:28 AM
Old 04-03-2009
Regular Expression Help

Hi there,

I have a line in a coded text from which the formtat is

Code:
DEF/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA/AAA

where A equals a letter

but the fields after the DEF/ are optional. Which means the line could look like

Code:
DEF/AAA or
DEF/AAA/AAA etc etc

I am trying to a find regular expression that will find all those lines that begin with DEF/ and in the rest (up to 9 fields) there is one of the following codes (BCD or DFG).

Is it possible to make this is one regular expression or I should use "OR" and do sth like

Code:
DEF/(BCD|DFG)||DEF/.../(BCD|DFG) etc etc

Thanks!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. Programming

What does the regular expression ['(^[^~]+~).*'] mean?

What does the regular expression +~).*'] mean while using it with regexec.When the string "RCHNUSNT35C~rs07/ASM-RS07" is used with the regular expression +~).*'] regexec gives an error. I know what regexec does,but i do not understand what this expression means wrt to this string... any help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anupamar
2 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with regular expression

I currently list and sort all the files in a directory which begin with an Upper Case C and end with the extension '#finished#'. Here is the command I use: ls -tr $currentDir/*.#finished# what i need to do now is list all the files in a directory that begin with upper case C and end... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkgudde
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression help

Hi, I am quite knew to scripting and I am trying to get a regular expression to work to check that a user enters a valid version number such as 1 or 1.1 or 12.3 etc. I dont seem to be able to get it to work as it picks up versions such as 1.......2. I only want it to work with a single dot.... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: frodo61
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

Can someone please explain me what does this mean? ^{1,50}$ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

I would like to extract "JDBC Thin Client" from (PROGRAM=JDBC Thin Client); and "C:\Python26\python.exe" from (PROGRAM=C:\Python26\python.exe); "txm_v_awsrf_db.pr" from (PROGRAM=txm_v_awsrf_db.pr). if input line like "(PROGRAM=)", it return unknown. Would you help suggest a regular... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstsang
4 Replies
BFBTESTER(1)						      General Commands Manual						      BFBTESTER(1)

NAME
bfbtester - Brute Force Binary Tester SYNOPSIS
bfbtester [-htv] [-d level] [-r rejects] [-o out-file] [-x max-execs] -a|[-sme] files ... DESCRIPTION
BFBTester is great for doing quick, proactive, security checks of binary programs. BFBTester will perform checks of single and multiple argument command line overflows as well as environment variable overflows. BFBTester can also watch for tempfile creation activity to alert the user of any programs using unsafe tempfile names. While BFBTester can not test all overflows in software, it is useful for detecting initial mistakes that can red flag dangerous software. OPTIONS
You must specify one or more of the following tests: -s Single Argument Test. -m Multiple Argument Test. -e Environment Variable Test. -a Selects all tests Other options: -h Print help. -t Enable tempfile monitoring. -v Print version string. -d level Set debug level (default = 0, max = 2). -r rejects Comma separated list of binaries to skip. -o out-file Output to out-file rather than stdout. -x max-execs Set maximum executables to run in parallel (default = 250). file Specific binary or a directory of binaries to test. OVERVIEW
You must specify at least one test to run and you must specify either a binary or a directory. Executable selection is now done in one of several ways: If the executable filename is specified with a leading slash (an absolute path), no selection is used and the supplied absolute filename is used. If there is no leading slash in the filename the selection is made in one of two ways (in this order): 1) Prepend file name with $PWD and test accesiblity 2) Search through $PATH and find first accessible executable The first one to succeed is the executable choosen. If the filename found is a directory, we walk the directory (one level deep) looking for executable binaries. Symbolic links are followed. You can specify binaries to skip (useful when loading a whole directory) by using the -r option. The following is a crash report: *** Crash </usr/bin/patch> *** args: -D [05120] envs: (null) Signal: 11 ( Segmentation fault ) Core? Yes This means "/usr/bin/patch" crashed when fed with an "-D" and a word 5,120 characters long: $ /usr/bin/patch -D AAA...5,120 characters...AAA (Numbers in brackets mean replace with a word that many characters long) BFBTester is very CPU intensive, and will open many files, so you probably don't want to run it on a production machine during it's busiest period. Just a warning... EXAMPLES
bfbtester -s /usr/bin Run the single argument test on all binaries in folder /usr/bin. bfbtester -ta patch traceroute Run all tests against patch and traceroute and run the tempfile monitor. bfbtester -a ./bfbtester Tests bfbtester (provided it's in the same directory). bfbtester -r kill /usr/bin/kill Does nothing. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Karl Soderstrom <ks@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). januari 23, 2001 BFBTESTER(1)