Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Ubuntu, emacs, vista help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Ubuntu, emacs, vista help Post 302303545 by pludi on Friday 3rd of April 2009 01:09:21 AM
Old 04-03-2009
Use PuTTY to connect, and run Emacs. If you, however, mean how to run Emacs using it's graphical display (instead of the text-mode), run PuTTY and look in the options for the connection for "X11 forwarding". That way all X11 (=graphical) connections will be tunneled through the SSH connection to your local X11 server.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Help in installing UBuntu 7.10 in Toshiba Tecra A8(Vista business)

Hi, I recently bought a Toshiba Tecra A8 laptop with preinstalled Vista Business license. I would like to install UBuntu 7.10 as another OS. However, I have some doubts:- i) I am not sure whether do the above model supports Linux/Ubuntu in terms of compatibility. So far, I googled and knew... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
1 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Installing Ubuntu in the same partition as Vista

Hi , I hav a laptop with Vista, i need to install Ubuntu along with vista on it. But the problem is tht i donot hav a hard drive partition. though i have abt 70 gb of free space. the only other partition is "recovery" one, so i cnt play with it how shld i perform the installation ?? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: akshay61286
4 Replies

3. Ubuntu

[UBUNTU] mount.nfs fails in Ubuntu / Works on Red Hat!!!

Gurus, I want log in locally to my Lucid (10.04) workstation and have my code saved over the network on my samba account At work, all developers have samba user ids and when we were running Red Hat, we went thru the following procedure to get setup. * open a shell session to NFS server... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
2 Replies

4. Ubuntu

What is the advantage of ubuntu over vista and vice versa?

i am thinking of replacing my vista with ubuntu. Questions: 1) what will be the advantages and disadvantages of using ubuntu instead of vista? 2) what will be the setbacks of replacing my vista? 3) how hard is it to cope up with the new OS? what must i learn to utilize ubuntu? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use emacs? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format?

Hi All, I am new to this forum and a beginner in unix. Please correct me if I put the question in a wrong way.. How to use emacs editor? Also how to open existing emacs files with .cgi format? I have the following link :- http link i.e. url and path : /abc/xyz.dev/xyz/documents What... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: swathi123
7 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Emacs printing with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

I am trying to setup a development environment that mirrors my Windows and SCO Unix systems. I use emacs and I am having trouble printing. I keep getting the error message; Symbol's function definition is void: default-printer-name I have googled this and for possible answers for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: trolley
0 Replies
Protocol::Connection(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Protocol::Connection(3pm)

NAME
X11::Protocol::Connection - Perl module abstract base class for X11 client to server connections SYNOPSIS
# In connection object module package X11::Protocol::Connection::CarrierPigeon; use X11::Protocol::Connection; @ISA = ('X11::Protocol::Connection'); sub open { ... } sub give { ... } sub get { ... } sub fh { ... } ... # In program $connection = X11::Protocol::Connection::CarrierPigeon ->open($host, $display_number); $x = X11::Protocol->new($connection); $connection->give($data); $reply = unpack("I", $connection->get(4)); use IO::Select; $sel = IO::select->new($connection->fh); if ($sel->can_read == $connection->fh) ... DESCRIPTION
This module is an abstract base class for the various X11::Protocol::Connection::* modules that provide connections to X servers for the X11::Protocol module. It provides stubs for the following methods: open $conn = X11::Protocol::Connection::Foo->open($host, $display_num) Open a connection to the specified display (numbered from 0) on the specified $host. give $conn->give($data) Send the given data to the server. Normally, this method is used only by the protocol module itself. get $data = $conn->get($n) Read $n bytes of data from the server. Normally, this method is used only by the protocol module itself. fh $filehandle = $conn->fh Return an object suitable for use as a filehandle. This is mainly useful for doing select() and other such system calls. AUTHOR
Stephen McCamant <SMCCAM@cpan.org>. SEE ALSO
perl(1), X11::Protocol, X11::Protocol::Connection::Socket, X11::Protocol::Connection::FileHandle, X11::Protocol::Connection::INETSocket, X11::Protocol::Connection::UNIXSocket, X11::Protocol::Connection::INETFH, X11::Protocol::Connection::UNIXFH. perl v5.14.2 2003-01-27 Protocol::Connection(3pm)