Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange thing with 'cut' in a script Post 302303409 by sport on Thursday 2nd of April 2009 02:25:08 PM
Old 04-02-2009
Question Strange thing with 'cut' in a script

When I run the script I have just created, I get a strange scenario around the following code:
echo "Check for duplicate UID's, each user should have a unique user ID (UID)"
echo "IF a UID is displayed fix or document why it is required!"
echo "Press enter to continue!"
read a
cut -d: -f3 /etc/passwd | sort -n | uniq -d
echo
echo "Verify current directory (.) does not exist in root's PATH!"

after going through most of the script and using the 'read a' as a pausing mechanism, when I hit enter at the above point instead of getting the correct value returned from the cut line, it just sits at a cursor, and hangs; it just adds a line for everytime you hit return. Now if I take the 'read a ' out at this point and just let it run right through the string works as it is supposed to. Can anyone see why it would behave in this fashion?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script strange problem

Hi All, I have one strange problem in perl script. Bellow is the contents of the script i am trying to write: #!/usr/local/bin/perl my $module_list = ''; my @running_module; my $count=0; my $flag=0; my $ccprojecthome=$ENV{CCPROJECTHOME}; @module_list = `cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange behaviour from script in crontab

Apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, my search skills may be lacking somewhat today. I have a script that does the following (as a test): find . -name "*.txt" -exec file {} \; >>$sFullFilePath Now, the variable is set up up correctly in the script too. When I run the script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PilotGoose
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script which will delete every thing under a directory except a single sub dire

write a shell script which will delete every thing under a directory except a single sub directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script strange behaviour

Hi people, I'm having some strange behaviour with an 'expect' script. spawn csession blah expect "Username: " send "userblah\r" expect "Password: " send "passwordblah\r" interact When I execute the script as root it runs perfectly. However, when executed as any other... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GarciasMuffin
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange "cut" command's behaviour

Hi, Suppose if I have a file having data like this: $ cat file.txt A B C D And, if I do a cut operation like this: $ cut -d" " -f2 file.txt The output is A C D This is the same for even if we try to get the field 3 with -f3 (assume line 2 has 3 fields : C E F). The above... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Strange thing with solaris ls on nfs shared directory

I shared from linux server a dir with nfs3,solaris mount ok,and can tar files,but if i do ls or cp.. on mnt i have mount the nfs share root@solaris: mnt $ touch 2 root@solaris: mnt $ ls -lh ls: can't read ACL on .: Permission denied root@solaris: mnt $ ls 1.tar 2 root@solaris: mnt $ cp... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
4 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Strange thing: arp and windows

A strange situation: i have configured a piranha lvs router(two load balancer and two real servers), the virtual ip is 192.168.3.252. Linux and windows clients are on a different subnet (192.168.3.0) and i use route route add -net 192.168.3.0/24 dev eth0on linux for /F "tokens=2 delims=:"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange Script behaviour with Grep

Here is my script LOGDATE=`date '+%Y-%m-%d %k:%M' | cut -c1-15` echo $LOGDATE echo "grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log >10min_log" grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.log>10min_log grep '$LOGDATE' /tmp/logs/vel.logHere is the output of the script -rw-r--r-- 1 wluser wluser 0 May 3... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using :<<cut / cut to comment out block of bash script

I am using : << cut / cut to comment out block of code. Works fine on few lines of script, then it gives me this cryptic error when I try to comment out about 80 lines. The "warning " is at last line of script. done < results 169 echo "END read all positioning parameters" 170... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
8 Replies
echo(3XCURSES)						  X/Open Curses Library Functions					    echo(3XCURSES)

NAME
echo, noecho - enable/disable terminal echo SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int echo(void); int noecho(void); DESCRIPTION
The echo() function enables Echo mode for the current screen. The noecho() function disables Echo mode for the current screen. Initially, curses software echo mode is enabled and hardware echo mode of the tty driver is disabled. The echo() and noecho() functions control soft- ware echo only. Hardware echo must remain disabled for the duration of the application, else the behavior is undefined. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
No errors are defined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
getch(3XCURSES), getstr(3XCURSES), initscr(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), scanw(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 5 Jun 2002 echo(3XCURSES)