Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pattern search in multiple lines Post 302302904 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 10:21:25 AM
Old 04-01-2009
try this:
Code:
sed -n '/ shanky /,/\)/p' inputfile > outputfile

It would really be better if you were to show actual data. For example - the sample code above won't work if shanky is at the beginning of a line.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search file for pattern and grab some lines before pattern

I want to search a file for a string and then if the string is found I need the line that the string is on - but also the previous two lines from the file (that the pattern will not be found in) This is on solaris Can you help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print lines between the search pattern

hi, I have a file say x.txt containing xxx 123 bla bla ... you xxx dfk dbf ... me xxx ... ... keeps on.. i need to search for pattern in the line starting xxx in the file. If pattern matched, I need to fetch all the lines till i find next xxx. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
17 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read lines between search pattern

I have a file split something like 01/11/2010: No of users 100 02/11/2010: No of users 102 03/11/2010: No of users 99 ... I want to search the file for a particular date and then extract the following line with the date, something like 02/11/2010 No of users 102 I can grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gefa
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

search and replace, when found, delete multiple lines, add new set of lines?

hey guys, I tried searching but most 'search and replace' questions are related to one liners. Say I have a file to be replaced that has the following: $ cat testing.txt TESTING AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH ENDTESTING This is the input file: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need one liner to search pattern and print everything expect 6 lines from where pattern match made

i need to search for a pattern from a big file and print everything expect the next 6 lines from where the pattern match was made. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple search pattern

Hello :) I have this file cat employee_list Name : jack Gender: m ID : 4512 DOB : 03/27/1980 hire date : 04/23/2012 Nationality: US marital status : single ===================== Name : mick Gender: m ID : 1256 DOB : 03/27/1970 Hire date : 012/10/2011 Nationality: US Marital... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara_84
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern on logfile and search for day/dates and skip duplicate lines if any

Hi, I've written a script to search for an Oracle ORA- error on a log file, print that line and the .trc file associated with it as well as the dateline of when I assumed the error occured. In most it is the first dateline previous to the error. Unfortunately, this is not a fool proof script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match Pattern and print pattern and multiple lines into one line

Hello Experts , require help . See below output: File inputs ------------------------------------------ Server Host = mike id rl images allocated last updated density vimages expiration last read <------- STATUS ------->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tigerhills
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing multiple lines from input file, if multiple lines match a pattern.

GM, I have an issue at work, which requires a simple solution. But, after multiple attempts, I have not been able to hit on the code needed. I am assuming that sed, awk or even perl could do what I need. I have an application that adds extra blank page feeds, for multiple reports, when... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxfish2
7 Replies
AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)						  Linux Audit API					     AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)

NAME
ausearch_add_regex - use regular expression search rule SYNOPSIS
#include <auparse.h> int ausearch_add_regex(auparse_state_t *au, const char *expr); DESCRIPTION
ausearch_add_regex adds one search condition based on regular expressions to the audit search API. The search conditions can then be used to scan logs, files, or buffers for something of interest. You may not use this in combination with any other search expression. The regu- lar expression follows the posix regular expression conventions. The search results are at the record level and not the field. RETURN VALUE
Returns -1 if an error occurs; otherwise, 0 for success. SEE ALSO
ausearch_add_expression(3), ausearch_add_item(3), ausearch_clear(3), ausearch_next_event(3), regcomp(3). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat Sept 2007 AUSEARCH_ADD_REGEX(3)