Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assigning a multiline grep output which has been piped through sed to a shell variabl Post 302302844 by Franklin52 on Wednesday 1st of April 2009 07:19:32 AM
Old 04-01-2009
Try this:

Code:
OUT=`awk '/test/{print $0 "\\\"}' /home/tim/input.txt`

echo "$OUT"

Regards

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning command output to a shell variable

I have the sql file cde.sql with the below contents: abcdefghij abcwhendefothers sdfghj when no one else when others wwhen%others exception when others Now I want to search for the strings containing when others together and ceck whether that does not occur more than once in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kprattip
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning nawk output to shell variable

Hello friends, I doing the follwing script , but found problem to store it to a shell variable. #! /bin/sh for temp in `find ./dat/vector/ -name '*.file'` do echo $temp nawk -v temp=$temp 'BEGIN{ split(temp, a,"\/"); print a}' done output: ./dat/vector/drf_all_002.file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_prady
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning output of command to a variable in shell

hi, I want to assign find command result into some temporary variable: jarPath= find /opt/lotus/notes/ -name $jarFile cho "the jar path $jarPath" where jarPath is temporary variable. Can anybody help on this. Thanks in advance ----Sankar (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankar reddy
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning SED output to a variable = trouble!

i'm on a Mac running BSD unix. i have a script in which i ask the user to input the name of a mounted volume. i then call SED to substitute backslashes and spaces in place of the spaces. that looks like this: echo "Enter the name of the volume" read Volume echo "You've chosen \"$Volume\""... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hungryd
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with assigning output of grep + awk to a variable

Hi All, I am getting the output for the following command when i run it on the unix console. --------------------------- grep `whoami` /etc/passwd | awk '{print ($1);}' | cut -d ":" -f3 ---------------------------- But i made it into a script and tried to print the variable, its... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: meheretoknow
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value of SQL output to a variable in shell scripting

I am trying to assgn the output of the select statement to a variable, like this "VARIABLE_NAME=$ db2 "select COLUMN_NAME_1 from TABLE_NAME where COLUMN_NAME_2='VALUE_TO_CHECK'"; " but the value that is getting into VARIABLE_NAME is "COLUMN_NAME_1 ----------------- VALUE 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sgmini
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatenate piped output and some var?

Hello, There is pipe chain and I want concacenate piped data with some variable: balh blah| ... $var1 What command I should use instead ... to concatenate piped output with $var1. I think I coud solve this using temp var - but could it be done in one line like sample above ? thanks... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

find output seems to change when piped

Currently, i am trying to create a simple robust script that is intended to move the contents of a given source directory to a target directory. Optionally, the script should allow to either move the whole source dir content, or dotfiles only, or visible files only. I am aware the target directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shells_bells
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

script output should be piped to a file

hi i have a script named mount.sh under the location /data/scripts/ in my aix box i want this script this to be run everyday morning at 04:45 AM and the output of the script should be piped to a file how to do this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat piped output

Hello, How can I efficiently cat piped output with another file? > (awk command) | cat file1 (piped output) Thanks! (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: palex
11 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)