Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script error with when input is empty Post 302302685 by cfajohnson on Tuesday 31st of March 2009 04:05:42 PM
Old 03-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohitmoudgil
Hi,

I created the following shell script to lookup multiple name servers for a domain.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo -n "Enter the domain name and press [ENTER]: "
read domain

result1=`dig +short $domain @4.2.2.1`
revresult1=`host $result1 | cut -f5 -d " "`

How can I get rid of these errors.

Check whether the command was successful:

Code:
if result1=`dig +short $domain @4.2.2.1`
then
fi

Or check for content in the variable:

Code:
result1=`dig +short $domain @4.2.2.1`
if [ -n "$result1" ]
then
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk empty regular expression error

Hello, All. please help me with this problem. i need to use variable as regular expression. some thing like this: BEGIN { RS="\n"; ORS="\n"; reg_exp = ".+Dec.+"; # i mean that regular expression is any symbol before "Dec" and any symbol after it. For example <Worksheet... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rjkz
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting same exit status for empty and non empty file

Hi All, I am checking for a empty input file to do some further action , but I am getting exit status 0 in both the cases , for empty and non empty file both. The value of $? is coming 0 in if part also and else part too. #!/bin/ksh if ]; then echo "data" # exit 0 echo "$?" else... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

if a file is empty throw an error

I want to count the number of lines in a file and store it in a variable if this count is zero i hv to throw an error ...is this syntax correct , but i am not getting the desired result I am not using -s option here as i am concerned about record count not the size #!/bin/ksh set $count1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mavesum
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

empty option output error

I have a script (multirun.sh) which launches the program bsim_em.x or bsim_es.x depending on the value entered from the screen: > multirun.sh 1 (executes bsim_em.x) > multirun.sh 2 (executes bsim_es.x) which, simplifying, I do with the following lines in the multirun.sh script: if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script verify user input is not empty and is equal to a value

I need to create a script that has a user enter a value. I want to verify that the value is either 1,2, or 3. If it is not then I want them to try entering it again. I am using a while loop to force them to retry. I am able to test the input against 1,2, and 3, but when I test agains an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spartiati
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to avoid empty line error

Hi, Below shell script executes based on liasted data files parameters.But small problem need to avoid ,If any empty line occures in dat files it's throwing oracle error .Need to ignore empty lines (means does not ready by script).Please advice. #/bin/sh adsts=`cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krajasekhar.v
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete files with an input for directories and an input for path/file

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this script, and I have very little experience, so I could use all the help I can get. :wall: I regularly need to delete files from many directories. A file with the same name may exist any number of times in different subdirectories.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *ShadowCat*
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script regarding non numerical or empty value

Hello Team, I need bash script to check if my output is non numerical or empty. if its then my output should display default value as 0 basically, I am reading value from txt file. most of numerical value, in case there is no numerical value or its empty, then my output should be 0. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to reformat output if input file is empty, but not if file has data in it

The below awk improved bu @MadeInGermany, works great as long as the input file has data in it in the below format: input chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 631 18 chrX 25031028 25031925 chrX:25031028-25031925 ARX 632 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies
innetgr(1)							   NSS utilities							innetgr(1)

NAME
innetgr - Check netgroup membership SYNTAX
innetgr [-d domain] [-h host] [-u user] [-v] <netgroup> DESCRIPTION
innetgr checks if the specified user, host or domain is a member of the given netgroup. The program does not produce any output unless the verbose ( -v ) flag is given. The exit status is 0 if the user/host/doman combination is a member of the given netgroup. Exit status is 1 if the combination is not found in the group, and 2 if one of the arguments are invalid. OPTIONS
--domain <domain> | -d <domain> Search in the given domain. --host <host name> | -h <host name> Search for the given host name. --user <user name> | -u <user name> Search for the given user name. --verbose | -v Enable verbose mode --version | -V Show version information. EXAMPLES
To check if the current host is listed in the netgroup allhosts, use this command line: if innetgr -h `uname -n` allhosts ; then echo "Found"; fi CONFORMING TO
A innetgr program first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. AUTHORS
Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> SEE ALSO
getent(1) netgroup(1) innetgr(3) netgroup(5) nsswitch.conf(5) Petter Reinholdtsen 0.7 innetgr(1)