Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opensolaris in non UI mode
Operating Systems Solaris opensolaris in non UI mode Post 302302356 by badriprasad on Monday 30th of March 2009 06:56:04 PM
Old 03-30-2009
opensolaris in non UI mode

Hi,

I have just installed OpenSolaris 10 on a Pentium III laptop. When I boot the machine, I get to the gdm driven login screen and upon login I can see my colorful desktop with different icons (like firefox and package manager).
My machine is low on resources and it was running too slow - so I decided to switch to the non graphical mode (I wanted to dump the GUI in favor of CLI)
I ran
#svcadm -v disable gdm

Is that the right thing to do for my requirement?

Soon after running the foregoing command, my GUI disappeared and I was left with a terminal to run commands. I ran top and could see that the memory use had reduced significnantly
However, when I tried to run firefox from the CLI
#nohup firefox &

the system did not bring up the browser. Is it that I can not view the browser in non GUI mode?

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

Convet Linux OS from text mode to graphic mode

Hi All, I used to have my suse linux(VM) server in graphic mode but not anymore since morning. I cant rolback since i loose somuch work. Any idea how to it back to normal. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_linux
6 Replies

2. HP-UX

how to distinguish standard system mode or trust system mode

I think that if the directory /tcb exists, HP-UX is in trusted mode and the passwd data is somewhere in /tcb/files/auth. But that's all I remember. Also I think recent versions of HP-UX can have a /etc/shadow file. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

4. Solaris

DNS service is in maintenance mode. How to bring it back to online mode?

:confused: when i tried to look the status of DNS-client, it is in maintenance mode..... Please tell me how to bring it back to online mode...PLEASE TELL ME STEP BY STEP.... PLEASE... :wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamshigvk475
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

From a C++ application how to find if a hpux host is in standard mode or trusted mode

is there a way for my C++ application to find out which mode the hpux OS is running in? standard mode or trusted mode. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: einsteinBrain
3 Replies
gdm-restart(1m)                                                    User Commands                                                   gdm-restart(1m)

NAME
gdm-restart, gdm-safe-restart, gdm-stop - stop or restart GDM SYNOPSIS
gdm-restart gdm-safe-restart gdm-stop DESCRIPTION
gdm-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a HUP signal to the GDM daemon. This command immediately terminates all sessions and logs out users currently logged in with GDM. gdm-safe-restart stops and restarts GDM by sending a USR1 signal to the GDM daemon. GDM is restarted as soon as all users log out. gdm-stop stops GDM by sending a TERM signal to the GDM daemon. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gdm-restart Executable to stop and restart GDM /usr/bin/gdm-safe-restarExecutable to stop and restart GDM safely /usr/bin/stop Executable to stop GDM ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-display-mgr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. gdm(1), gdmXnestchooser(1), gdmflexiserver(1), gdmphotosetup(1), gdmsetup(1), gdmthemetester(1), gdmconfig(1m) NOTES
Written by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 1 Sep 2004 gdm-restart(1m)