Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX disk space shortage, how to migrate to LVM? Post 302302161 by michalwu on Monday 30th of March 2009 08:54:42 AM
Old 03-30-2009
disk space shortage, how to migrate to LVM?

Hello

I'm working on AIX 6.1. I inherited something I do not know and now I need to bring it into the line.

# df -m
Filesystem MB blocks Free %Used Mounted on
/dev/hd4 | 256.00 | 87.09 | 66% /
/dev/hd2 | 4608.00 | 82.45 | 99% /usr
/dev/hd3 | 256.00 | 212.34 | 18% /tmp
/dev/hd1 | 256.00 | 1.95 | 100% /home

[cut]
/dev/lv02 | 65024.00 | 60709.92 | 7% /home/users
/dev/lv03 | 65024.00 | 65001.13 | 1% /temp

Now you know why I'm asking of some help.
I'm running out of space on /dev/hd* :|

I have plenty of free space on other drives so I can set up few more LVMs.
Is there any easy way to migrate my files from running-short filesystems to LVMs?

I think that I should prepare lvm, copy all files from such fs and then modify /etc/filesystems to point new disk space for a mountpoint.
Am I correct?

Is there some magic command for such copying?

Do I have to reboot to check whether it works?

Best regards
michael

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

disk adding through lvm

Hi dear(s) Can u explain how to add a disk through lvm with commands. I need to add a 9 gb scsi HS disk to a Hp D class 9000 server. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sreekumar.R
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Migrate VxVM boot disks to higher capacity disk

Hi, Im getting a downtime of 4 hrs to do porting of bootdisks. Currently, the system is running on Sf4800. 2 internal disk 36G connected to a SE3510 storage. We're getting 72G disks and we want to restore the OS from the current 36G to the 72G disk. System is under veritas volume manager ctrl.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
4 Replies

3. AIX

Disk I/O Issue using LVM

We have a filesystem which contains 8 hard disks but i am facing disk I/O issue becuase data is not spreading across all the disks.Is there any way i can check how data is spreading and any parameter we need to change to spread ata across all disks. OS--AIX 5.3 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukatru
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

How to Migrate from Single Disk to Many? (RHEL 4.6)

I have a Red Hat Enterprise 4.6 virtual server built on 1 virtual disk running Oracle Applications on VMware ESX 3.5; the performance of the virtual server is not good because of IO bottlenecks. The ESX server is reporting minimal load, it's the virtual server which is struggling with disk IO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: home4ktt
2 Replies

5. AIX

AIX LVM migrate lp

Hi, I have questions about unix AIX's lvm. Is there some problem to do migrate lp into a mirrored vg or should i break the mirror before? Is necessary to run reorgvg after I migrate lp ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alfastar
1 Replies

6. BSD

Migrate a Hard Disk

hi Has anyone already tried to migrate a hard disk with FreeBSD using recoverdisk? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ccc
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

LVM: is possible to replace a disk?

Scenario1: VG00 lvm,not mirrored,2 disk of 36GB vg size VG00 size is under 30G. Is possible to remove a disk of 36GB and replace "on fly" with a disk of 300GB on VG00? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
6 Replies

8. Linux

How to migrate a running lvm.?

Hi all, Please explain how do i. Migrate and backup a running lvm..!! Thanks, Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lordkizzo
3 Replies
LVDISPLAY(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      LVDISPLAY(8)

NAME
lvdisplay - display attributes of a logical volume SYNOPSIS
lvdisplay [-c|--colon] [-d|--debug] [-D|--disk] [-h|--help] [-v[v]|--verbose] LogicalVolumePath [LogicalVolumePath...] DESCRIPTION
lvdisplay allows you to see the attributes of a logical volume like size, read/write status, snapshot information etc. OPTIONS -c, --colon Generate colon seperated output for easier parsing in scripts or programs. The values are: * logical volume name * volume group name * logical volume access * logical volume status * internal logical volume number * open count of logical volume * logical volume size in kilobytes * current logical extents associated to logical volume * allocated logical extents of logical volume * allocation policy of logical volume * read ahead sectors of logical volume * major device number of logical volume * minor device number of logical volume -d, --debug Enables additional debugging output (if compiled with DEBUG). -D, --disk Show attributes of the volume group descriptor array on disk(s). Without this switch they are derived from kernel space. Useful, if the volume group isn't active. -h, --help Print a usage message on standard output and exit successfully. -v, --verbose Display the mapping of logical extents to physical volumes and physical extents. -vv, --verbose --verbose Like -v with verbose runtime information. Examples "lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol2" shows attributes of that logical volume and its mapping of logical to physical extents. In case snapshot logical volumes have been created for this original logical volume, this command shows a list of all snapshot logical volumes and their status (active or inactive) as well. "lvdisplay /dev/vg00/snapshot" shows the attributes of this snapshot logical volume and also which original logical volume it is associated with. DIAGNOSTICS
lvdisplay returns an exit code of 0 for success or > 0 for error: 1 no logical volume name(s) on command line 95 driver/module not in kernel 96 invalid I/O protocol version 97 error locking logical volume manager 98 invalid lvmtab (run vgscan(8)) 99 invalid command line ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
LVM_VG_NAME The default Volume Group Name to use. Setting this variable enables you to enter just the Logical Volume Name rather than its com- plete path. See also lvm(8), lvcreate(8), lvscan(8), lvmsadc(8), lvmsar(8) AUTHOR
Heinz Mauelshagen <Linux-LVM@Sistina.com> Heinz Mauelshagen LVM TOOLS LVDISPLAY(8)