Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: telnet in Redhat 5 update 3
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat telnet in Redhat 5 update 3 Post 302301996 by gunnervarma on Sunday 29th of March 2009 05:34:08 PM
Old 03-29-2009
I can't find any telnet services running. there is no /etc/inetd.conf dir.

Do I have to install telnetd rpm. How can I do that. The linux version I am running is Redhat 5 Update 3.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Telnet in redhat linux

Hi, I just want to access linux machine from windows telnet client.What is the procedure?How do i start telnet server in Linux,where to check if it is installed. Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
3 Replies

2. Red Hat

telnet idle timeout on Redhat kernel 2.4.35.4

Hello, I've searched this forum for telnet idle timeout problem. I tried to set timeout parameters in /etc/profile readonly TMOUT=10 export TMOUT This doesn't work for Redhat kernel 2.4.35.4. It's really frustrating. Can anybody tell me what else I could try? Thanks a lot! jing (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jing han
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Redhat Linux AS2.1 update 6

Hi, Please help to find Redhat Linux AS2.1 update 6 iso file. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luyan10
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Redhat update

Hi Friends, I am very new to the redhat subscription. So that i am having lot of doubts. Please help me. 1. As per my understandings we need to register and pay for each rhel server to get update and support from redhat. Can we have a local yum repository where we can download the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arumon
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

Python 2.6 on redhat 5 (update 8)

Hi, I would like to know wheather it is possible to install python 2.6 on RedHat Ent Linux 5 (update8) using rpms? I have checked by default Python 2.4 is installed. or wheather Redhat 6.0 needs to be installed for python 2.6? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

6. Red Hat

RedHat 5 update 9 BASH update issue

Hi i want to update the BASH because of the "shell shock" vulnerability. my RedHat 5 is clean install with the default mirror site. when im running the command: yum update bash im getting a message saying there is no update. you can see in the attach picture... what am i doing wrong? is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guy3145
4 Replies
TELNETLOGIN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    TELNETLOGIN(8)

NAME
telnetlogin -- login wrapper for telnetd SYNOPSIS
telnetlogin [-h host] [-p] [-f username] [username] DESCRIPTION
telnetlogin is a setuid wrapper that runs login(1). It is meant to be invoked by telnetd(8); the idea is to remove the necessity of running telnetd as root. telnetlogin should be installed mode 4750, user root, group telnetd. Then, telnetd may be run from /etc/inetd.conf as user ``nobody'', group ``telnetd'', and with the option -L path-to-telnetlogin. telnetlogin accepts only the subset of options to login(1) shown above, in the order listed. This is the order telnetd 8 normally provides them in. telnetlogin also does sanity checks on the environment variables TERM, and REMOTEHOST. It also insists that the standard input, output, and error streams are open on a terminal, and that it is the process group leader of the foreground process of that terminal. After checking all of these conditions, checking the values of the above environment variables for reasonable values, resetting signal handlers, and so forth, it execs login. SEE ALSO
login(1), inetd.conf(5), inetd(8), telnetd(8) RESTRICTIONS
THIS IS PRESENTLY EXPERIMENTAL CODE; USE WITH CAUTION. HISTORY
telnetlogin was written during the development of NetKit 0.17. Linux NetKit (0.17) April 12, 2000 Linux NetKit (0.17)