Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming help me understand exec() family of calls... Post 302301662 by shamrock on Friday 27th of March 2009 02:54:43 PM
Old 03-27-2009
By calling exit within a function as you have done and there is no need for sleeping. My take on why execl ("/bin/ls", "ls -l", (char *)0) is not implemented that way is maybe it is best to separate the command from its options and arguments to make it more flexible.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Identification of data calls & voice calls

Is there any facility to filter/identify the data calls and voice calls coming throug modem? OR Can we get the data or voice calls information through a script(preferably C Kermit)? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcsaji
0 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

Address family not supported by protocol family

Hi, I compiled with no error a C program, than I tryed to execute it and than I get this error: connessione al server fallita: Address family not supported by protocol family What does it mean? Why I get this error only on Mac os x while on Ubuntu the program works? The code is:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell: 'exec', 'eval', 'source' - looking for help to understand

Hi, experts. Whould anybody clear explay me difference and usage of these 3 commands (particulary in bash) : exec eval source I've tryed to read the manual pages but did not get much. Also could not get something useful from Google search - just so much and so not exactly, that is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Family tree illustrated

hello is there a family tree, or words that would illustrate the family tree of, Unix -> Linux As i would understand Unix, it is a OS. And Linux is a ?, is Linux a OS or a sub structure inside of the Unix OS ?. Have you ever seen one of those family tree`s where ma and pa are shown at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cowLips
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Variables Inquiry, Values Okay in Standalone Exec, No-Show in Cron Exec

I have the following bash script lines in a file named test.sh. #!/bin/bash # # Write Date to cron.log # echo "Begin SSI Load $(date +%d%b%y_%T)" # # Get the latest rates file for processing. # d=$(ls -tr /rms/data/ssi | grep -v "processed" | tail -n 1) filename=$d export filename... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginowms
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to understand use exec command

Hi i am in learning phase of unix. i was going through exec in a unix book. below is the command exec n>file exec n>>file however when i used the exec command like below , where ex is the file name exec 2>>exand then do ls -lrt then again when i do the ls -lrt to see the size of the file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

7. Programming

Working of exec family of functions

Hi, I am studying exec family of functions.Its man page says,it replaces the current process image with a new process image. If it replaces the binary,then after returning back,how does it get the previous parameters of the process which called exec?As replacing process image means replacing all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Radha.Krishna
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Working of exec family of functions

Hi, I am studying exec family of functions.Its man page says,it replaces the current process image with a new process image. If it replaces the binary,then after returning back,how does it get the previous parameters of the process which called exec?As replacing process image means replacing... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Radha.Krishna
5 Replies

9. Programming

Simple shell running with exec family

# Erroneous question, so can be removed. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginnerboy
0 Replies
getexecname(3C)                                            Standard C Library Functions                                            getexecname(3C)

NAME
getexecname - return pathname of executable SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> const char *getexecname(void); DESCRIPTION
The getexecname() function returns the pathname (the first argument of one of the exec family of functions; see exec(2)) of the executable that started the process. Normally this is an absolute pathname, as the majority of commands are executed by the shells that append the command name to the user's PATH components. If this is not an absolute path, the output of getcwd(3C) can be prepended to it to create an absolute path, unless the process or one of its ancestors has changed its root directory or current working directory since the last successful call to one of the exec family of functions. RETURN VALUES
If successful, getexecname() returns a pointer to the executables pathname; otherwise, it returns 0. USAGE
The getexecname() function obtains the executable pathname from the AT_SUN_EXECNAME aux vector. These vectors are made available to dynam- ically linked processes only. A successful call to one of the exec family of functions will always have AT_SUN_EXECNAME in the aux vector. The associated pathname is guaranteed to be less than or equal to PATH_MAX, not counting the trailing null byte that is always present. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), getcwd(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Dec 1997 getexecname(3C)