Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: process accounting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers process accounting Post 302301288 by methyl on Thursday 26th of March 2009 12:08:22 PM
Old 03-26-2009
I don't have a SUNOS system handy but isn't "acctadm" for Extended Accounting?
On my HP-UX system the following configuration text file turns unix Process Accounting on/off.
/etc/rc.config.d/acct
The actual processes are usually started in a rc2 script containing "/usr/sbin/acct/startup" and "/usr/sbin/acct/shutacct"
See
man acct
A "pacct" file on a busy system can get very large and I have yet to find a use for the data so I routinely turn off Process Accounting.
Hope this helps.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Small Business Accounting Software

I'm new to Unix and currently running Solaris 9. Does anyone know of any good Small Business Accounting software that's inexpensive that runs on Solaris? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
1 Replies

2. Programming

utmp ACCOUNTING

the utmp.h ACCOUNTING macro is set to 9 on my system. my question is: what "accounting" is it referring to? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thmnetwork
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accounting Process

Hi, I need to know , if there is some routine like a function "accton" to accounting process for HP-UX, because I need accounting the command executed for users and is necesary that include the argumments of command but the file "paccton" generated for function "accton" doesn't include them. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hvazquez
0 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

System Accounting

How do I enable System Accounting on Solaris 8? In Solaris 7 I would copy the /usr/lib/acct file to S22acct and start it like that. That doesn't seem to be an option in Solaris 8. Thanks for your help! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pc9456
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Special accounting information

I need to figure out why did the system run out of memory and hung at a certain time. For further investigation, the info about every processes' CPU and memory consumption over time would be of high value. I see, that Unix accounting may be of some help. But I'm not sure if I can get this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: descentspb
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process accounting and Shell process time

Hi All, I am running the following accounting on one of my executable, $ accton /home/myexe-acct $ ./myexe $ accton When I check the process timings I get the below result, Shell process time: 300ms myexe time: 100ms I want to know on why the shell(sh) process is taking so much time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: santoshbr4
1 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

Accounting Software

GNUCash - There is documented problem with auto-fill; ie, that it cannot be turned off. It will delete 1/2 of a transaction. I have searched the internet and have not been able to make any of the "work arounds" work. I have also contacted the email lists, to no avail. This is open source,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meow613
3 Replies
acct(2) 							System Calls Manual							   acct(2)

Name
       acct - turn accounting on or off

Syntax
       acct(file)
       char *file;

Description
       The system is prepared to write a record in an accounting file for each process as it terminates.  This call, with a null-terminated string
       naming an existing file as argument, turns on accounting; records for each terminating process are appended to  file.   An  argument  of  0
       causes accounting to be turned off.

The accounting file format is given in

This  call  is  permitted  only to the superuser.  Accounting is automatically disabled when the file system the accounting file resides on
       runs out of space.  It is enabled when space once again becomes available.

Return Values
       On error, -1 is returned.  The file must exist and the call may be exercised only by the superuser.  It is erroneous  to  try  to  turn	on
       accounting when it is already on.  If successful, 0 is returned.

Diagnostics
       The system call will fail if one of the following is true:

[EPERM]	      The caller is not the superuser.

[ENOTDIR]      A component of the path prefix is not a directory.

[ENAMETOOLONG] A component of a pathname exceeded 255 characters, or an entire pathname exceeded 1023 characters.

[ENOENT]       The named file does not exist.

[EACCES]       The path name is not a regular file.

[EROFS]	      The named file resides on a read-only file system.

[EFAULT]       The file points outside the process's allocated address space.

[ELOOP]	      Too many symbolic links were encountered in translating the pathname.

[EIO]	      An I/O error occurred while reading from or writing to the file system.

Restrictions
       No accounting is produced for programs running when a crash occurs.  In particular, nonterminating programs are never accounted for.

See Also
       acct(5), sa(8)

acct(2)