Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting move files and retain subdir structure Post 302300863 by pludi on Wednesday 25th of March 2009 08:29:53 AM
Old 03-25-2009
Code:
find folder1/ folder2/ -name '*.mp3' -print | while read file
do
    echo mkdir -p $( dirname $file )
    echo mv $file newdir/$( dirname $file )
done

If it looks like it should (eg no unexpected stuff), remove the echos.

Last edited by pludi; 03-25-2009 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Corrected formatting

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding file in a directory structure + move

Hi All, im a new guy if it comes to Unix. I am trying to auto categorize Nzbget downloads the most basic way. I already manage to find files within the directory i'm at and move them with if check to a certain dir. Unfortunately this command is restricted to the directory i'm at and does not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RoxXxoR
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move files & folder structure

Hey, this might be a really basic question, but I'm new to Unix scripting. I'm trying to find a command to replicate a file structure from one location to another & move the actual files contained in the base directories, i.e. I have this structure - home/temp/test/dir1/ ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SOCLA_CELT
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Script to move files to subdir depending on file extension.

Hi, First off I'm pretty new to scripting so please be gentle. I am looking for some help with a script that will move all files with a certain extension into a folder within their current location. Just for clarity I have all my photos organised in directories such as: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guinch
4 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Batch file to move video files and retain sub-directories

I have just purchased my first ever Apple computer - and am therefore new to UNIX also. I would like to create a simple "batch file" (apologies if this is the wrong terminology) to do the following: When I plug my camera into the MAC it automatically downloads photos and videos into a new... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mm0mss
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move all files from dir and subdir to Archive with File name as complete path_filename

HI, I need to move all files from a dir & its all subdir to Archive folder which is indise dir only. and moved filename should changed to complete path ( Like Dir_subdir_subdir2_.._filename ). also all files names shoud capture in a file in order to mail I written below code ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: minijain7
11 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copying the dir/subdir structure from one server to another?

Hi All, I want to copy the dir/subdir structure from SERVER-A to SERVER-B without copying all the files in each dir. Is it possible using SCP / SFTP command? For example, SERVER-A has following two dir/subdirectories and files under each subdir. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Hangman2
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to move the files older than x days with similar directory structure?

Hello, I need to move all the files inside /XYZ (has multi-depth sub directories) that are older than 14 days to/ABC directory but with retaining the SAME directory structure. for example: /XYZ/1/2/3/A/b.txt should be moved as /ABC/1/2/3/A/b.txt I know about find /XYZ -type f -mtime +14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parallel move keeping folder structure along with files in it

The below will move all the files in the directory dir to the destination using parallel and create a log, however will not keep them in the directory. I have tried mkdir -p but that does not seem to work or at least I can not seem to get it (as it deletes others files when I use it). What is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to move files and Creation of folder structure

We are receiving few zipped files in one location say : apple/oranges/incoming All .zip files are placed here in incoming folder. So few of the files are password encrypted. There are only 10 zipped files, so we are planning to create a script which will pick that zip file from incoming... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sidhant
1 Replies
DIRNAME(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							DIRNAME(3)

NAME
dirname, basename - Parse pathname components SYNOPSIS
#include <libgen.h> char *dirname(char *path); char *basename(char *path); DESCRIPTION
The functions dirname and basename break a null-terminated pathname string into directory and filename components. In the usual case, dirname returns the string up to, but not including, the final '/', and basename returns the component following the final '/'. Trailing '/' characters are not counted as part of the pathname. If path does not contain a slash, dirname returns the string "." while basename returns a copy of path. If path is the string "/", then both dirname and basename return the string "/". If path is a NULL pointer or points to an empty string, then both dirname and basename return the string ".". Concatenating the string returned by dirname, a "/", and the string returned by basename yields a complete pathname. Both dirname and basename may modify the contents of path, so if you need to preserve the pathname string, copies should be passed to these functions. Furthermore, dirname and basename may return pointers to statically allocated memory which may be overwritten by subsequent calls. The following list of examples (taken from SUSv2) shows the strings returned by dirname and basename for different paths: path dirname basename "/usr/lib" "/usr" "lib" "/usr/" "/" "usr" "usr" "." "usr" "/" "/" "/" "." "." "." ".." "." ".." EXAMPLE
char *dirc, *basec, *bname, *dname; char *path = "/etc/passwd"; dirc = strdup(path); basec = strdup(path); dname = dirname(dirc); bname = basename(basec); printf("dirname=%s, basename=%s ", dname, bname); free(dirc); free(basec); RETURN VALUE
Both dirname and basename return pointers to null-terminated strings. BUGS
In versions of glibc up to and including 2.2.1, dirname does not correctly handle pathnames with trailing '/' characters, and generates a segmentation violation if given a NULL argument. CONFORMING TO
SUSv2 SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), GNU
2000-12-14 DIRNAME(3)