Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Learning scripting -- functions capturing output Post 302300322 by CRGreathouse on Monday 23rd of March 2009 09:54:37 PM
Old 03-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikxik
Functions will echo as long as there is some command inside them which writes to stdout. If you want to suppress that, you can redirect output to /dev/null. It has nothing to do with exit code.
I don't want to suppress output, I want to show it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikxik
You can use "return <exit_code>" to pass around success/failure information. Using "exit <exit_code>" will quit the script altogether. Once you return, you can check $? to check for success/failure.
I'll try that, thanks. But as you can see (try my example), exit does not exit the script, just the function. (I'm learning by doing; I never would have guessed that it would work that way.)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Shell Scripting

I'm new to UNIX and I want to learn Shell Scripting. I want a web site that has Shell Scripting tutorials. Any suggesstions?.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liveapple2000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggested Books for Learning Shell scripting

Hi, I had completed RHCE and i am interested to learn shell scripting. Request you to please let me know which book is best for learning shell scripting or any online website. Thanks & Regards arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of dbv

Hello, We have an oracle database running on a Linux host (RHEL5)...I'm trying to run Oracle dbv (database verify utility) and capture its output to a file using the following syntax but the standart output does NOT get redirected to the file... dbv blocksize=32768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book for Learning unix shell scripting reall good

Hi guys I want o learn and understand shell scripting real good, Ive got already some background Due to the fact that there is ton of books with these theme, can you recommend me some good book with with examples explanations, pls no theoretical books :D Thxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting book learning.

Hi Which is the most useful shell scripting book. Planning to learn shell scripting.Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunvellanki
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Scripting

Hi All, I am facing an issue. I need your advise. I want to take my unix skills to the next level. I want to verse in scripting now. I got some understanding of programming. I did a little bit of C++, Assembly in College. I got some basics in perl. I am wondering if It would be best to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Output?

Hello All, I'm writing a Bash Script and in it I execute a piped command within a Function I wrote and I can't seem to redirect the stderr from the 1st pipe to stdout..? I'm setting the output to an Array "COMMAND_OUTPUT" and splitting on newlines using this --> "( $(...) )". By putting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning shell scripting and i would like to understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works

Please help me understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works , is it sorting 3 and 4 th field ? what is the use of specifying 3,3 and 4,4 in sort and what is actually does and i see sort -k3 short* and sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* giving the same output. Sort output attached Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

After Learning Shell Scripting

Will it be good to learn 1) Perl or 2) Ruby first? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies
LIBBASH(7)							  libbash Manual							LIBBASH(7)

NAME
libbash -- A bash shared libraries package. DESCRIPTION
libbash is a package that enables bash dynamic-like shared libraries. Actually its a tool for managing bash scripts whose functions you may want to load and use in scripts of your own. It contains a 'dynamic loader' for the shared libraries ( ldbash(1)), a configuration tool (ldbashconfig(8)), and some libraries. Using ldbash(1) you are able to load loadable bash libraries, such as getopts(1) and hashstash(1). A bash shared library that can be loaded using ldbash(1) must answer 4 requirments: 1. It must be installed in $LIBBASH_PREFIX/lib/bash (default is /usr/lib/bash). 2. It must contain a line that begins with '#EXPORT='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of functions that the library exports. I.e. all the function that will be usable after loading that library will be listed in that line. 3. It must contain a line that begins with '#REQUIRE='. That line will contain (after the '=') a list of bash libraries that are required for our library. I.e. every bash library that is in use in our bash library must be listed there. 4. The library must be listed (For more information, see ldbashconfig(8)). Basic guidelines for writing library of your own: 1. Be aware, that your library will be actually sourced. So, basically, it should contain (i.e define) only functions. 2. Try to declare all variables intended for internal use as local. 3. Global variables and functions that are intended for internal use (i.e are not defined in '#EXPORT=') should begin with: __<library_name>_ For example, internal function myfoosort of hashstash library should be named as __hashstash_myfoosort This helps to avoid conflicts in global name space when using libraries that come from different vendors. 4. See html manual for full version of this guide. AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <ril@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), ldbashconfig(8), getopts(1), hashstash(1) colors(1) messages(1) urlcoding(1) locks(1) Linux Epoch Linux