Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Learning scripting -- functions capturing output Post 302300321 by rikxik on Monday 23rd of March 2009 09:49:28 PM
Old 03-23-2009
Functions will echo as long as there is some command inside them which writes to stdout. If you want to suppress that, you can redirect output to /dev/null. It has nothing to do with exit code.

You can use "return <exit_code>" to pass around success/failure information. Using "exit <exit_code>" will quit the script altogether. Once you return, you can check $? to check for success/failure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Shell Scripting

I'm new to UNIX and I want to learn Shell Scripting. I want a web site that has Shell Scripting tutorials. Any suggesstions?.? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liveapple2000
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suggested Books for Learning Shell scripting

Hi, I had completed RHCE and i am interested to learn shell scripting. Request you to please let me know which book is best for learning shell scripting or any online website. Thanks & Regards arun (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun.Kakarla
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

capturing output from top and format output

Hi all, I'd like to capture the output from the 'top' command to monitor my CPU and Mem utilisation.Currently my command isecho date `top -b -n1 | grep -e Cpu -e Mem` I get the output in 3 separate lines.Tue Feb 24 15:00:03 Cpu(s): 3.4% us, 8.5% sy .. .. Mem: 1011480k total, 226928k used, ....... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing the output of dbv

Hello, We have an oracle database running on a Linux host (RHEL5)...I'm trying to run Oracle dbv (database verify utility) and capture its output to a file using the following syntax but the standart output does NOT get redirected to the file... dbv blocksize=32768 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Book for Learning unix shell scripting reall good

Hi guys I want o learn and understand shell scripting real good, Ive got already some background Due to the fact that there is ton of books with these theme, can you recommend me some good book with with examples explanations, pls no theoretical books :D Thxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kl1ngac1k
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting book learning.

Hi Which is the most useful shell scripting book. Planning to learn shell scripting.Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunvellanki
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Learning Scripting

Hi All, I am facing an issue. I need your advise. I want to take my unix skills to the next level. I want to verse in scripting now. I got some understanding of programming. I did a little bit of C++, Assembly in College. I got some basics in perl. I am wondering if It would be best to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pouchie1
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Output?

Hello All, I'm writing a Bash Script and in it I execute a piped command within a Function I wrote and I can't seem to redirect the stderr from the 1st pipe to stdout..? I'm setting the output to an Array "COMMAND_OUTPUT" and splitting on newlines using this --> "( $(...) )". By putting... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am learning shell scripting and i would like to understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works

Please help me understand how sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* works , is it sorting 3 and 4 th field ? what is the use of specifying 3,3 and 4,4 in sort and what is actually does and i see sort -k3 short* and sort -k3,3 -k 4,4 short* giving the same output. Sort output attached Please help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Antony Ankrose
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

After Learning Shell Scripting

Will it be good to learn 1) Perl or 2) Ruby first? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies
ATF-CHECK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					      ATF-CHECK(1)

NAME
atf-check -- executes a command and analyzes its results SYNOPSIS
atf-check [-s qual:value] [-o action:arg ...] [-e action:arg ...] [-x] command DESCRIPTION
atf-check executes a given command and analyzes its results, including exit code, stdout and stderr. Test cases must use atf-sh(3)'s atf_check builtin function instead of calling this utility directly. In the first synopsis form, atf-check will execute the provided command and apply checks specified by arguments. By default it will act as if it was run with -s exit:0 -o empty -e empty. Multiple checks for the same output channel are allowed and, if specified, their results will be combined as a logical and (meaning that the output must match all the provided checks). In the second synopsis form, atf-check will print information about all supported options and their purpose. The following options are available: -s qual:value Analyzes termination status. Must be one of: exit:<value> checks that the program exited cleanly and that its exit status is equal to value. The exit code can be omit- ted altogether, in which case any clean exit is accepted. ignore ignores the exit check. signal:<value> checks that the program exited due to a signal and that the signal that terminated it is value. The signal can be specified both as a number or as a name, or it can also be omitted altogether, in which case any signal is accepted. Most of these checkers can be prefixed by the 'not-' string, which effectively reverses the check. -o action:arg Analyzes standard output. Must be one of: empty checks that stdout is empty ignore ignores stdout file:<path> compares stdout with given file inline:<value> compares stdout with inline value match:<regexp> looks for a regular expression in stdout save:<path> saves stdout to given file Most of these checkers can be prefixed by the 'not-' string, which effectively reverses the check. -e action:arg Analyzes standard error (syntax identical to above) -x Executes command as a shell command line, executing it with the system shell defined by ATF_SHELL. You should avoid using this flag if at all possible to prevent shell quoting issues. EXIT STATUS
atf-check exits 0 on success, and other (unspecified) value on failure. ENVIRONMENT
ATF_SHELL Path to the system shell to be used when the -x is given to run commands. EXAMPLES
The following are sample invocations from within a test case. Note that we use the atf_check function provided by atf-sh(3) instead of exe- cuting atf-check directly: # Exit code 0, nothing on stdout/stderr atf_check 'true' # Typical usage if failure is expected atf_check -s not-exit:0 'false' # Checking stdout/stderr echo foobar >expout atf_check -o file:expout -e inline:"xx yy " 'echo foobar ; printf "xx yy " >&2' # Checking for a crash atf_check -s signal:sigsegv my_program # Combined checks atf_check -o match:foo -o not-match:bar echo foo baz SEE ALSO
atf-sh(1) BSD
October 5, 2014 BSD