Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File redirection question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File redirection question Post 302300116 by Annorax on Monday 23rd of March 2009 09:27:49 AM
Old 03-23-2009
Question File redirection question

Hi all,

I am working with the Grinder tool (unrelated to my question) to redirect the output of a program to a file as follows:

java -cp $CLASSPATH net.grinder.TCPProxy > grinder.txt

This is a proxy server which pipes output to a file. When I do something on my proxy, more and more goes to this file.

Now my question is as follows: I want to be able to put my own text in the file while the program is running, basically for comments so I can break up what each part is. But when I add stuff to the file, save it, and then do something to add to the file, my additions are overridden.

Is there any way I can get my additions in the file while it is being redirected?

Thanks for the help. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question on redirection (<<)

I came across the following problem, where file contents are overwritten using redirection. Can somebody please explain what cat << BAR seems to be doing and say why this is a problem? Explain the contents and relation between the two filenames used before the cat command. thanks /tmp# echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newkidintown
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

input redirection question

Hi, in my script I need to execute the following command: query $id 456 432 but it waits for a RETURN character from keyboard and therefore, it fails. I tried something like: query $id 456 432 << '\n' but, i'ts clear it is not correct. Is there any way to do this? Thxs. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: luistid
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Problem / Question regarding redirection

Hi all, Maybe someone is able to help: Need to redirect the output of a command in realtime to a second command. Command-A executes a remote shell to another host, and outputs its results. Command-B displays a "dialog" with the outputs of Command-A. Command-A Output: Updating FileA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharald
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection Question

I just wondered if I'm understanding this command line correctly cat 2>save1 0<memo | sort 2>save2 1>letter This means that stdin will read from memo and if there is an error then stderr will write to save1. Am I correct in saying that the sort command will sort the memo file and write... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: snag49ers
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about IO redirection

for shell operators like <, >, <<, and >> do the LHS always have to be a process or device and the RHS a file or device? Is it possible for the RHS to be a process? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirection question

I want to redirect stderr and have the following peice of code $ cat t1.ksh #!/bin/ksh func2() { diff /tmp/jdlkwjdlkejew /tmp/djlkwejdlewdjew >$OUTPUT_FILE 2>>$ERR_FILE } func1() { let counter=0 while do print -u2 "Error: In main function" func2 let... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error redirection question

Hi gurus, I have a question, need some of your inputs... I have a command like this : export LINE_COUNT=`wc -l test.dat | awk '{print $1}'` echo $LINE_COUNT --- > gives me 2 which is fine as the file has 2 lines. This works fine if the file test.dat is present but in case... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

output redirection to existing file question

So I have a existing file that I used the uniq command on and I need to save the output to the same file without changing the file name. I have tried $ uniq filename > filename then when I cat the file it then becomes blank like there is nothing inside. any help would be much appreciated... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew211
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script output redirection question

OS : AIX 6.1 Shell : Korn in the url https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=361463&tstart=0 I came across a crontab entry example 00 23 * * 1,3,5 <complete shell script path> 1> <log file> 2>&1 From googling , I gathered that 0 - stdin 1 - stdout 2 - stderr I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: polavan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Question on bash redirection

Hi, Can I get some explanation around this bash redirection? From what I have read, x < y means call the shell to redirect the output of y into x. Does this mean that this sequence of commands is executed from right to left? diff <(sort testfile.txt) <(sort testfile2.txt) Thanks, edit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
2 Replies
JH_MANIFEST(1)							    Javahelper							    JH_MANIFEST(1)

NAME
jh_manifest - Adds or/and modifies manifests for jars SYNOPSIS
jh_manifest [debhelperoptions] [options] jar1 ... jarN jh_manifest [debhelperoptions] [options] DESCRIPTION
Javahelper tool to add or update manifests in a jar file. It can be used in two modes. If passed jar files, it will only process these jar files. Otherwise it will update all jar files in the packages it acts on. When processing a package, the debhelper(7) exclude option will make jh_manifest ignore matching jar files. FILES
debian/package.manifest (or debian/manifest) This file consist of a list of jar files and values to add to their manifests. Values in this file will take precedence over values in the original manifest (and command line arguments over values in this file). It is allowed to list a link in this file instead of an actual jar file, provided that the link can be resolved when jh_manifest processes it. If a jar file is listed here cannot be found, jh_manifest will print a warning, unless the jar file has been excluded. As of javahelper >= 0.32, you may add comments in this file. If the line starts with a "#" it is completely ignored. This file is ignored if jh_manifest is passed jar files via command line. OPTIONS
-c classpath, --classpath=classpath Sets the Class-Path attribute of all processed jar files to classpath. If not passed, then the CLASSPATH environment variable will be used in the given jar file do not have a Class-Path attribute. -m class, --main=class Sets the Main-Class attribute to class in all processed jar files. -o options, --javaopts=options Sets the Debian-Java-Parameters to options in all processed jar files. This attribute is used by jarwrapper to start java with extra options (e.g. to make more memory available). -j /path/to/java/home, --java-home=/path/to/java/home Sets the Debian-Java-Home attribute to /path/to/java/home in all processed jars. This attribute is used by jarwrapper to determine which JVM to use. EXAMPLES
An example debian/manifest file: # use the symlink so we do not have to update with the next upstream release. usr/share/java/my.jar: Class-Path: dep1.jar dep2.jar Main-Class: some.awesome.Class usr/share/java/dep2.jar: Class-Path: dep1.jar SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of javahelper and uses debhelper as backend. There are also tutorials in /usr/share/doc/javahelper. AUTHOR
Niels Thykier <niels@thykier.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2010 by Niels Thykier This tool is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of GNU GPL 2. 0.43 2012-03-12 JH_MANIFEST(1)