Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BSD equivalent of rmmod
Operating Systems BSD BSD equivalent of rmmod Post 302299963 by uiop44 on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 04:18:10 PM
Old 03-22-2009
BSD equivalent of rmmod

In Linux if you want to get rid of the PC speaker (beep!) without rebooting you can type

rmmod pcspkr

I'm looking for a way to remove (if possible) the BSD equivalent of the "pcspkr" module.

I scrolled quickly through GENERIC and didn't see any entries that looked conspicuously like the PC speaker.

Is it in there? Did I miss it?

Last edited by uiop44; 03-30-2009 at 12:28 AM..

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

BSD equivalent of GNU parted

I use GNU (parted)set to change boot flags when doing multibooting. Alas, FreeBSD does not have GNU parted, out of the box. Is there a way to set/remove flags quickly and easily from the command line in BSD? I'm still learning all the 'unique' BSD utilities. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: uiop44
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rmmod,modprobe or dracut?

I am making few changes inside modprobe.d directory, now there are two options to make them effective 1) rmmod module, make changes and modprobe module 2) dracut -f I was wondering what's the difference between two, in terms of result, dracut makes kernel image again though and the other unplug... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixhead
0 Replies
rmmod(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  rmmod(8)

NAME
rmmod -- simple program to remove a module from the Linux Kernel SYNOPSIS
rmmod [-f] [-w] [-s] [-v] [modulename] DESCRIPTION
rmmod is a trivial program to remove a module (when module unloading support is provided) from the kernel. Most users will want to use modprobe(8) with the -r option instead. OPTIONS
-v --verbose Print messages about what the program is doing. Usually rmmod prints messages only if something goes wrong. -f --force This option can be extremely dangerous: it has no effect unless CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD was set when the kernel was compiled. With this option, you can remove modules which are being used, or which are not designed to be removed, or have been marked as unsafe (see lsmod(8)). -w --wait Normally, rmmod will refuse to unload modules which are in use. With this option, rmmod will isolate the module, and wait until the module is no longer used. Nothing new will be able to use the module, but it's up to you to make sure the current users eventually finish with it. See lsmod(8)) for information on usage counts. -s --syslog Send errors to syslog instead of standard error. -V --version Show version of program and exit. COPYRIGHT
This manual page originally Copyright 2002, Rusty Russell, IBM Corporation. Maintained by Jon Masters and others. SEE ALSO
modprobe(8), insmod(8), lsmod(8) modinfo(8) rmmod(8)