Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remove rows from file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Remove rows from file Post 302299923 by cv313x on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 09:29:03 AM
Old 03-22-2009
Remove rows from file

Hi to all,this is my first post here.
I've a file as

name
othername

how I can remove the word name and othername from this file, and an eventually blank row in it?Thanks in advance.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove duplicate rows of a file based on a value of a column

Hi, I am processing a file and would like to delete duplicate records as indicated by one of its column. e.g. COL1 COL2 COL3 A 1234 1234 B 3k32 2322 C Xk32 TTT A NEW XX22 B 3k32 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and remove rows from file where multi occurrences of character found

I have a '~' delimited file of 6 - 7 million rows. Each row should contain 13 columns delimited by 12 ~'s. Where there are 13 tildes, the row needs to be removed. Each row contains alphanumeric data and occasionally a ~ ends up in a descriptive field and therefore acts as a delimiter, resulting in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kpd
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To remove date and duplicate rows from a log file using unix commands

Hi, I have a log file having size of 48mb. For such a large log file. I want to get the message in a particular format which includes only unique error and exception messages. The following things to be done : 1) To remove all the date and time from the log file 2) To remove all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pank10
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 1st two rows and last 2 rows

Hi All, I need to remove 1st 2 line from head and last 2 line from last. I thought it would be possible by using the Head and tail command. But after i am using it is not possible by it. Example:Input file 1 2 3 4 5 Example: Output file 3 But my head and tail command are not... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam786sim
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove Blank Rows

Hello All, I am having a problem in automating my UNIX Script to remove the blank spaces in between records. When I incorporate it into my script, the output file is deleting the whole content :confused: Basically this is what I am trying to do: File contains data like this:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vinsanity
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove Blank rows in a csv file

Hi, I need help to remove blank rows at the end of file. Sample data: "Oslo, Symra kino",Oslo,130-7,Symra 1,130-7-91 "Tønsberg, Brygga Kino SF",Tønsberg,202-1,Tønsberg SF 4,202-1-4 ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,,, Expected data: "Oslo, Symra kino",Oslo,130-7,Symra 1,130-7-91 "Tønsberg, Brygga... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell to remove a newline char from selected rows in a file.

Greetings! Can we automate the process of removing a newline char from selected rows in a fixed width file using a shell? Input is like abcd1234 xyzd1234 abcd a1b2c3d4 abcd1234 xyzd1234 xx abcd1234 Expected output - abcd1234xyzd1234 abcda1b2c3d4abcd1234xyzd1234 xxabcd1234 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mailme0205
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to remove matched rows from my file?

Hello, I am new beginner, and just got help from this forum. The command line is :awk '($1, $2) in x { print x print delete x next } { x = $0 }' results>myfileI got a output "myfile" from the orginal file 'results'. The quesion is I don't know how to get all rows... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove new line characters from data rows in a Pipe delimited file?

I have a file as below Emp1|FirstName|MiddleName|LastName|Address|Pincode|PhoneNumber 1234|FirstName1|MiddleName2|LastName3| Add1 || ADD2|123|000000000 2345|FirstName2|MiddleName3|LastName4| Add1 || ADD2| 234|000000000 OUTPUT : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: styris
1 Replies
CREATE 
TRIGGER(7) SQL Commands CREATE TRIGGER(7) NAME
CREATE TRIGGER - define a new trigger SYNOPSIS
CREATE TRIGGER name { BEFORE | AFTER } { event [ OR ... ] } ON table [ FOR [ EACH ] { ROW | STATEMENT } ] EXECUTE PROCEDURE funcname ( arguments ) DESCRIPTION
CREATE TRIGGER creates a new trigger. The trigger will be associated with the specified table and will execute the specified function func- name when certain events occur. The trigger can be specified to fire either before the operation is attempted on a row (before constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE is attempted) or after the operation has completed (after constraints are checked and the INSERT, UPDATE, or DELETE has completed). If the trigger fires before the event, the trigger can skip the operation for the current row, or change the row being inserted (for INSERT and UPDATE operations only). If the trigger fires after the event, all changes, including the last insertion, update, or dele- tion, are ``visible'' to the trigger. A trigger that is marked FOR EACH ROW is called once for every row that the operation modifies. For example, a DELETE that affects 10 rows will cause any ON DELETE triggers on the target relation to be called 10 separate times, once for each deleted row. In contrast, a trigger that is marked FOR EACH STATEMENT only executes once for any given operation, regardless of how many rows it modifies (in particular, an operation that modifies zero rows will still result in the execution of any applicable FOR EACH STATEMENT triggers). In addition, triggers may be defined to fire for a TRUNCATE, though only FOR EACH STATEMENT. If multiple triggers of the same kind are defined for the same event, they will be fired in alphabetical order by name. SELECT does not modify any rows so you cannot create SELECT triggers. Rules and views are more appropriate in such cases. Refer to in the documentation for more information about triggers. PARAMETERS
name The name to give the new trigger. This must be distinct from the name of any other trigger for the same table. BEFORE AFTER Determines whether the function is called before or after the event. event One of INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, or TRUNCATE; this specifies the event that will fire the trigger. Multiple events can be specified using OR. table The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table the trigger is for. FOR EACH ROW FOR EACH STATEMENT This specifies whether the trigger procedure should be fired once for every row affected by the trigger event, or just once per SQL statement. If neither is specified, FOR EACH STATEMENT is the default. funcname A user-supplied function that is declared as taking no arguments and returning type trigger, which is executed when the trigger fires. arguments An optional comma-separated list of arguments to be provided to the function when the trigger is executed. The arguments are literal string constants. Simple names and numeric constants can be written here, too, but they will all be converted to strings. Please check the description of the implementation language of the trigger function about how the trigger arguments are accessible within the function; it might be different from normal function arguments. NOTES
To create a trigger on a table, the user must have the TRIGGER privilege on the table. Use DROP TRIGGER [drop_trigger(7)] to remove a trigger. In PostgreSQL versions before 7.3, it was necessary to declare trigger functions as returning the placeholder type opaque, rather than trigger. To support loading of old dump files, CREATE TRIGGER will accept a function declared as returning opaque, but it will issue a notice and change the function's declared return type to trigger. EXAMPLES
in the documentation contains a complete example. COMPATIBILITY
The CREATE TRIGGER statement in PostgreSQL implements a subset of the SQL standard. The following functionality is currently missing: o SQL allows triggers to fire on updates to specific columns (e.g., AFTER UPDATE OF col1, col2). o SQL allows you to define aliases for the ``old'' and ``new'' rows or tables for use in the definition of the triggered action (e.g., CRE- ATE TRIGGER ... ON tablename REFERENCING OLD ROW AS somename NEW ROW AS othername ...). Since PostgreSQL allows trigger procedures to be written in any number of user-defined languages, access to the data is handled in a language-specific way. o PostgreSQL only allows the execution of a user-defined function for the triggered action. The standard allows the execution of a number of other SQL commands, such as CREATE TABLE as the triggered action. This limitation is not hard to work around by creating a user- defined function that executes the desired commands. SQL specifies that multiple triggers should be fired in time-of-creation order. PostgreSQL uses name order, which was judged to be more convenient. SQL specifies that BEFORE DELETE triggers on cascaded deletes fire after the cascaded DELETE completes. The PostgreSQL behavior is for BEFORE DELETE to always fire before the delete action, even a cascading one. This is considered more consistent. There is also unpre- dictable behavior when BEFORE triggers modify rows that are later to be modified by referential actions. This can lead to constraint viola- tions or stored data that does not honor the referential constraint. The ability to specify multiple actions for a single trigger using OR is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. The ability to fire triggers for TRUNCATE is a PostgreSQL extension of the SQL standard. SEE ALSO
CREATE FUNCTION [create_function(7)], ALTER TRIGGER [alter_trigger(7)], DROP TRIGGER [drop_trigger(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 CREATE TRIGGER(7)