Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Putting new line after certain number of character Post 302299900 by srsahu75 on Sunday 22nd of March 2009 02:49:00 AM
Old 03-22-2009
Putting new line after certain number of character

Hi,
I want, if a line is more than 80 characters length then put a new line with 4 space after each 80 characters to indent the data at same position.

Input:
200 Geoid and gravity anomaly data of conjugate regions of Bay of Bengal and Enderby Basin: New constraints on breakup and early spreading history between India and Antarctica
330 Institute of Documentation training and teseting, Dona, Sasan
480 Frente maritimo. Montevideo
490 ^v7^p75-86
620 Aquatic communities%Benthos%Fishing grounds%Geomorphology%Topographic surveying%Hydrodynamic equations%Mathematical models%Tidal constants%Tidal constituents%Wind-driven currents
621 Sparus pagrus
485 1990
623 Red porgy
010 Marine

Output:

200 Geoid and gravity anomaly data of conjugate regions of Bay of Bengal and En
derby Basin: New constraints on breakup and early spreading history between
India and Antarctica
330 Institute of Documentation training and teseting, Dona, Sasan
480 Frente maritimo. Montevideo
490 ^v7^p75-86
620 Aquatic communities%Benthos%Fishing grounds%Geomorphology%Topographic surve
ying%Hydrodynamic equations%Mathematical models%Tidal constants%Tidal const
ituents%Wind-driven currents
621 Sparus pagrus
485 1990
623 Red porgy
010 Marine

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting a character between two other characters?

I need to separate Pascal style identifiers (TheyLookLikeThis) into words separated by an underscore (_). I've tried sed 's//&_&/' but this won't work (obviously). I'd love some help. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ilja
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read contents of a file from a given line number upto line number again specified by user

Hello Everyone. I am trying to display contains of a file from a specific line to a specific line(let say, from line number 3 to line number 5). For this I got the shell script as shown below: if ; then if ; then tail +$1 $3 | head -n $2 else ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grc
5 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to remove new line character and append new line character in a file?

Hi Experts, I have data coming in 4 columns and there are new line characters \n in between the data. I need to remove the new line characters in the middle of the row and keep the \n character at the end of the line. File is comma (,) seperated. Eg: ID,Client ,SNo,Rank 37,Airtel \n... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sasikari
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

new line after specific number character

Hi All, I have input file like this: input1: ( 1083479)=T 158V 1798, T 391V 1896,T 1138V 2273,T 1547V 2477,T 2249V 2917,T 3278V 3234,T 4152V 3495,T 5500V 3631, ( 1083501)=T 181V 1851, T 459V 1954,T 810V 2141,T 1188V 2372,T 1638V 2696,T 2731V 3124,T 4799V 3640,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help putting output on one line

Good afternoon, I have been searching the web, and these forums for help. I will try my best to explain the issue, and what my desired results are. I am doing queries in MYSQL, and need the output to be sent to a file. That file needs to have things with the same ID on the same line. To... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help awk/sed: putting a space after numbers:to separate number and characters.

Hi Experts, How to sepearate the list digit with letters : with a space from where the letters begins, or other words from where the digits ended. file 52087mo(enbatl) 52049mo(enbatl) 52085mo(enbatl) 25051mo(enbatl) The output should be looks like: 52087 mo(enbatl) 52049... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print a particular character n number of times in a line??

hi, Is it possible to print a particular character n number of times in a line? for example. i am print the following line using echo command.. echo "files successfully moved" i want to count the number of characters that are been displayed. i am doin it using echo "files... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to accept command line argument as character or text if number is entered?

Hello Does the unix korn shell provide a function to convert number entered in command line argument to text or Character so that in next step i will convert Chr to Hex (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadityapatel198
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying a sentence and putting it on a new line

I am revisiting the problem of sentence splitting. I have a Perl Script which splits a para into sentences, but acronyms and short forms create an issue #!/usr/bin/perl use feature qw/say/; use strict; use warnings; my $s; my @arr; while(<>) { chomp $_; $s .= $_ . " "; } @arr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters. Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by duplicat- ing its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c complements the set of characters in string1 with respect to the universe of characters whose ASCII codes are 01 through 0377 octal; -d deletes all input characters in string1; -s squeezes all strings of repeated output characters that are in string2 to single characters. In either string the notation a-b means a range of characters from a to b in increasing ASCII order. The character `' followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose ASCII code is given by those digits. A `' followed by any other character stands for that character. The following example creates a list of all the words in `file1' one per line in `file2', where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. The second string is quoted to protect `' from the Shell. 012 is the ASCII code for newline. tr -cs A-Za-z '12' <file1 >file2 SEE ALSO
ed(1), ascii(7), expand(1) BUGS
Won't handle ASCII NUL in string1 or string2; always deletes NUL from input. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 TR(1)