Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sed/awk] find info and replace Post 302299643 by cfajohnson on Friday 20th of March 2009 04:09:34 PM
Old 03-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire
Hi Smilie
I have some problems with "FOR"...

That's not surprising. The shell does not have a command named "FOR". It does have "for".
Quote:

I have a text file in this format:

Code:
name1
www.link1/random_number
name2
www.link2/random_number
name3
www.link3/random_number

Why would you use "for" to read a file?
Quote:

(Names and info changes)

Now, I need:

For each link found download the related page.

So:

- For each link
- execute command wget -options www.link/url_variable | (sed commands to find info)
- for each result insert the result under the right name.

I made a sed command for obtain info that I need from the page.
So this is not a problem.

The result should be like this:

Code:
name1
some info found in www.link1/random_number

name2
other info find in www.link2/random_number

name2
other info find in www.link3/random_number

Code:
while read name; read line
do
  printf "%s\n" "$name"
  wget -O - [other options] "$line" | sed ...
  echo
done < "$FILE"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace using sed

Hello Everybody, I am doing something like this on Redhat Linux h=`cut -d"." -f4 file1` s=`cut -d"." -f4 file2` sed "s/$h/$s/g" file3 but this is not working but if giving constant value its working, for ex. sed "s/93/$h/g" file3 help... Thanks for looking into my question (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvind_aks15
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace a column that has '' to NULL in a comma delimited using awk or sed

Hi this is my first time posting ever. I'm relatively new in using AWK/SED, I've been trying many a solution. I'm trying to replace the 59th column in a file where if I encounter '' then I would like to replace it with the word NULL. example 0 , '' , '' , 0 , 195.538462 change it to 0... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gumal901
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace with variable using sed or awk

hi, i have file say email.temp looks like Bell_BB 17 Bell_MONTHLY 888 SOLO_UNBEATABLE 721 and another file r3 Bell BB,Bell_BB Bell,Bell_MONTHLY SOLO,SOLO_UNBEATABLE i want email.temp files $1 say Bell_BB should be replaced by r3 Bell BB and Bell_MONTHLY by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.cse
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace with SED

Hello all I have a file with a lot of records...Each one have a ID like this: 000000001 LDR L -----nam--2200217Ia-45e0 000000001 891 000000001 892 000000001 893 and so on then you have the second record: 000000002 LDR L -----nam--2200208Ia-15e0 000000002 891 000000002... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldiaz2106
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a certain string in a file and replace it with a value from another file using sed/awk?

Hi Everyone, I am new to this forum and new to sed/awk programming too !! I need to find particular string in file1(text file) and replace it with a value from another text file(file2) the file2 has only one line and the value to be replaced with is in the second column. file 1: (assert (=... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramad
21 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace using SED

I need to do a find and replace. I tried below logic but getting warnings Could you please help? a=`echo "<!DOCTYPE aaaaa bbbbb \"sample.dtd\">"` b="<!DOCTYPE aaaaa bbbbb \" /a/b/c/datain/d_k/sample.dtd \">" echo $a | sed -e "s/$a/$b/" > c.txt getting the following error sed:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmanivan82
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract info and do algebra on it by sed or awk

Hello everyone, I need to extract some information from a csv file and further need to do some algebraic calculations on those information and then to throw the result in a new file. Here is a sample from my data.csv file; Col1,Col2,Col3,Col4,Col5,Col6,Col7... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk -Find and Replace

All, I have thousands of lines in a file with following format DATA=_ONE_XXX_YYY_CCC_HHHG_ DATA1=_GGG_JJJJ_HHH_UUU_JJJJ_HHHH_LLL_ DATA3=_MMM_GG_NN_QQQQ_FFF_III_ I want to replace _ with . by ignoring the first (=_) and last (_) So that out put should looks like... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: baluchen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using sed

File 1,2,33,C,B 3,5,66,K,R 1,2,33,H,M 3,5,66,M,C 6,9,66,J,F I will use the below command to find and replace in sed, where I'm using variable to find pattern. while read line do sed 's/$line/77/' file done<inputfile But here I need to find value in column 3 and... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roozo
26 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed/awk to find negative numbers and replace with 1?

Greetings. I have a three column file, and there are some numbers in the second column that are <1. However I need all numbers to be positive, thus need to replace all those numbers with just one. I feel like there must be a simple way to use awk to find these numbers and sed to replace but can't... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Twinklefingers
5 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)