Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting compress directories with .tar extension Post 302299467 by kanexxx on Friday 20th of March 2009 07:30:44 AM
Old 03-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariyoosh
Code:
#!/bin/bash

DIRECTORY="."
echo -n "Enter the directory path: "
read DIRECTORY

if [[ ! -d $DIRECTORY ]]
then
    echo "$DIRECTORY : no such directory"
    exit 2
fi

for ITEM in $(ls $DIRECTORY)
do
    if [[ -d $ITEM ]]
    then
        if [[ ! $ITEM = *.tar ]]
        then
            tar -cvf $ITEM.tar ./$ITEM
        fi
    fi
done

When i run your script am getting {}.tar in my main directory myfolder. Smilie
I want to get myfolder.tar myfolder2.tar myfolder3.tar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar command with compress option...

Hi ! i have to write a script that archivs homes not used since 3 years. First, my script gathers the users that are concerned, using the following command : ll -lt /home/*/.sh_history | egrep '2000|1999|1998|1997' | awk '{print $3}' i obtain a list like this : user_1 user_2 ...... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomapam
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and compress

I need to compress and tar a couple files in a directory, but I also want the original files unchanged, ie if I compress a1.cpp , then a1.cpp becomes a1.cpp.z, but what I want after running the compress utility is to have both a1.cpp as it is and a1.cpp.z and then tar a1.cpp.z to an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, Tar and Compress in one line

Hi all, I am supposed to collect a huge amount of log files from a unix system (HP-UX) onto a local system. The log files are not in one place, but they are scattered all over the Unix server. The unix server has only limited space, so that I can not create a tar file first and then compress it.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesky099
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress the file using Tar command

Hi, When i am tar the file particular ,csv file format in a folder i am receiving the error Command: tar cf New_data.tar /new/file/mari/getdata/small/*.xml Arguements too long But sometimes i am able to compress other folder but the tar folder contains all the file format and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: marivinay
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar and compress in one step

I know there is a way to tar up directory and sub-directories and have it compressed all in one command but but the syntax escapes me. I seem to re-call something like this: tar -cvf /tmp/file.tar - | compress ? Can somebody please provide me with the syntax on how to tar/compress and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to compress .war extension file

Hi All, I want to compress a .war file. bash-3.00$ ls -l /opt/test -rw-r--r-- 1 test test 15M Aug 22 18:20 old.war bash-3.00$ find . -type f -exec compress {} \; ./irc.war: -- file unchanged While try to compress the above file i am getting "file unchanged error"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress the directories which is older than 7 days?

Hi all, how to compress the directories which is older 7 days. If any one knows please help me this is urgent. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshpagadala
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a tar file to smaller size

I have a tar file with name DTT012_GP_20140207.tar and many more with different names of different sizes ranging from 1GB to 4GB. Now my requirement is to extract/not extract these files and then divide it into various parts of size 500MB and save it with different names and then compress... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shaibal_bp
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress Files in Multiple Directories

I would like to compress the files in multiple directories. For some reason, it only compress the first directory (/Sanbox/logs1) but not the rest of the other directories ("/Sanbox/logs2" "/Sanbox/logs3" "/Sanbox/logs4" ). Any help would be appreciated. Here's my code: #!/bin/bash... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Loc
1 Replies
LRZTAR.1(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       LRZTAR.1(1)

NAME
lrztar - Directory wrapper for lrzip SYNOPSIS
lrztar [options] DIRECTORY lrztar -d [options] DIRECTORY.tar.lrz lrzuntar [options] DIRECTORY.tar.lrz DESCRIPTION
lrztar is a wrapper for compressing and decompressing whole directories with lrzip(1) to corresponding file "DIRECTORY.tar.lrz". lrzuntar is identical to "lrztar -d". lrztar takes the same options as lrzip. OPTIONS
See lrzip(1). ENVIRONMENT
None. FILES
None. SEE ALSO
lrzip.conf(5), lrzuntar(1), lrzip(1), lrunzip(1), lrzcat(1), bzip2(1), gzip(1), lzop(1), rzip(1), zip(1) AUTHORS
Program was written by Con Kolivas. This manual page was written by Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> (but may be used by others). Released under license GNU GPL version 2 or (at your option) any later version. For more information about license, visit <http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html>. perl v5.14.2 2012-02-08 LRZTAR.1(1)