Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can sed perform editing operations ONLY in the matched region? Post 302299164 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 19th of March 2009 10:31:33 AM
Old 03-19-2009
show a sample file, and show how the output will look like

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed grep the first matched lines

Hi I have a myfile.txt contains the following: CONTEXT { AAAAA } ... CONTEXT { BBBBB } I want to extract the lines in between CONTEXT { ... }, one by one. Hence I wrote a command like the following, sed -n '/^CONTENT/,/^}/ { w a.txt }' myfile.txt The problem with this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hezjing
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Sed to perform multiple substitutions?

Hello I have the following output which is returned with the Month in text format instead of numerical. The output I receive is performed by using Rational Synergy CM software commands from the Unix command line and piping Unix commands on the end. bash-3.00$ ccm query -n... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Glyn_Mo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform Operations on One File Conditional on Data in Another File

Hello all, I am looking for a solution to the following problem. Perl or python solutions also welcome. Given this input: And this input: I want to get this output. The rule being that if the number in the first file is < 0.9, then the corresponding two columns on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydrabane
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop through files in each folder and perform sed

Dear all, I have few log folders in directory (FILE) and i need to perform sed on each files inside each folders. Here is my script, and i wish to rename each file back to the same file name after modification. Can anyone guide me on my script below? eg: folder1 contain files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymeyaw
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed get matched string

Hi, how to figure out script name from a file which are having pattern .ksh. So wherever i have .ksh in a file i should get complete name of the file along with its extension as well. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinsin55
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perform operations as a non root user

Hi All, I need a help in the below scenario. I want to perform few operations as a non root user but those operations can be performed only by the root user. For example I need to modify /etc/hosts file as a non root user. This is just one scenario. Could you please provide... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - sed / reading from a data file and doing algebraic operations

Hi everyone, I am trying to write a bash script which reads a data file and does some algebraic operations. here is the structure of data.xml file that I have; 1 <data> 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 </data> 6 <data> 7 . 8 . 9 . 10</data> etc. Each data block contains same number of lines (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hayreter
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting lines between patterns and perform operations

Hi, I'm currently dev'ing using awk and I'm currently stuck. Here's the file, with comments on "<--- ": Record <--- First Pattern Amount 1 <--- Amount on first transaction TotalSales 0 <--- Total Sales Prior from previous transactions Time 1:00:00 <--- Time... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jin_
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform multiple operations on a number before storing to a variable?

(I am using bash) I have a command that will find the line number in a file by searching for a string where it exists. linenumber=$(grep -n "string" $FILENAME | cut -d : -fi) This returns the line number and removes the string. Now that I have the line number I want to subtract 4 from it and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigious8
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find a matched pattern and perform comparison on numbers next to it

Hi, I have been trying to extract rows that match pattern "cov" with the value next to it to be > 3. The 'cov' pattern may appear either in $3 or $4 (if using ";" as field separator). Below is the example:- input file ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bunny_merah19
7 Replies
STOREBACKUPVERSIONS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    STOREBACKUPVERSIONS(1)

NAME
storeBackupVersions.pl - locates different versions of a file saved with storeBackup.pl. SYNOPSIS
storeBackupVersions.pl -f file [-b root] [-v] [-l [-a | [-s] [-u] [-g] [-M] [-c] [-m]]] OPTIONS
--file, -f file name (name in the backup, probably with suffix from compression) --backupRoot -b root of storeBackup tree, normally not needed --verbose, -v print verbose messages --locateSame, -l locate same file with other names --showAll, -A same as: [-s -u -g -M -c -m] --size, -s show size (human readable) of source file --uid, -u show uid of source file --gid, -g show gid of source file --mode, -M show permissions of source file --ctime, -c show creation time of source file --mtime, -m show modify time of source file --atime, -a show access time of source file It does not always work correctly when a file is saved blocked *and* non-blocked in different backups. In such cases, use option --locateSame. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2002-2008 by Heinz-Josef Claes (see README) Published under the GNU General Public License v3 or any later version perl v5.14.2 2012-03-03 STOREBACKUPVERSIONS(1)