Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Removing spaces from string
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Removing spaces from string Post 302298937 by ghostdog74 on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 11:04:07 PM
Old 03-19-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyadhar85
just another way Smilie
Code:
echo "A B C E"|awk '/ /{gsub(" ","")}1'

Code:
# echo "A B C E"| awk '$1=$1' OFS=""
ABCE

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in a file

I have output a file and need to remove blank spaces in the first lines only so the file is left end justified. I need to do this while keeping the rest of the file intact. Example of file that needs spaces removed: space space space space space space space... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tioray
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces between records

Hi I have an XML file. Which has spaces between different records.... current file( Has many lines, like this... I want to delete all the spaces between > and <, if there are only spaces between them) input file <xyzr> <abc>1234</xyzr> <aaa> <bbb> ayz mnz</bbb> <sen>KEA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thanuman
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces after sperator

Hi friends i have problem 6000000001| CDC049| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000002| CDC033| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000003| CDC037| 109| CDC| 02/02/2006| Auto| New Add| 02/03/2006 6000000004| CDC031| ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishnu_vaka
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces

hey.. i had a problem with the unix command when i want to remove the white spaces in a string..i guess i cud do it with a sed command but i get an error when i give space in the square brackets.. string="nh hjh llk" p=`echo $string | sed 's/ //g'` i donno how to give space charater and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahithi_khushi
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing spaces...

Hey, I'm using the command from this thread https://www.unix.com/unix-dummies-questions-answers/590-converting-list-into-line.html to convert vertical lines to horzontal lines. But I need to remove the spaces that is created. Unfortunately I can't figure out where the space is in the code.. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing spaces from data

Hi, I want to remove spaces from data. Data is: 1,aa ,21, 22 2,a a ,23 ,24 3, ,25 ,26 output should be: 1,aa,21,22 2,a a,23,24 3, ,25,26 i.e i have to remove leading and trailing spaces.Not the space between data and also i dont want to remove the space if data is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank spaces, tab spaces from file

Hello All, I am trying to remove all tabspaces and all blankspaces from my file using sed & awk, but not getting proper code. Please help me out. My file is like this (<b> means one blank space, <t> means one tab space)- $ cat file NARESH<b><b><b>KUMAR<t><t>PRADHAN... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NARESH1302
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing spaces in filenames

I have a problem mounting images because of the spaces in the filenames. Does anyone know how to rename files by removing the spaces with the find command? find Desktop/$dir -name "*.dmg" -print -exec ??? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ianebaj
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print string with removing all spaces

Hi all, I want to set 10 set of strings into a variable where: removing all spaces within each string change the delimiter from "|" to "," Currently, I've the below script like this:Table=`ten character strings with spaces in-between and each string with delimiter "|" | tr -d ' ' |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: o1283c
7 Replies
ESCAPESHELLARG(3)							 1							 ESCAPESHELLARG(3)

escapeshellarg - Escape a string to be used as a shell argument

SYNOPSIS
string escapeshellarg (string $arg) DESCRIPTION
escapeshellarg(3) adds single quotes around a string and quotes/escapes any existing single quotes allowing you to pass a string directly to a shell function and having it be treated as a single safe argument. This function should be used to escape individual arguments to shell functions coming from user input. The shell functions include exec(3), system(3) and the backtick operator. On Windows, escapeshellarg(3) instead removes percent signs, replaces double quotes with spaces and adds double quotes around the string. PARAMETERS
o $arg - The argument that will be escaped. RETURN VALUES
The escaped string. EXAMPLES
Example #1 escapeshellarg(3) example <?php system('ls '.escapeshellarg($dir)); ?> SEE ALSO
escapeshellcmd(3), exec(3), popen(3), system(3), backtick operator. PHP Documentation Group ESCAPESHELLARG(3)