Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Installing OpenSolaris on Sun v120 Post 302298834 by stringzz on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 06:00:26 PM
Old 03-18-2009
Installing OpenSolaris on Sun v120

I have come into my possesion a v120 server at work that was decommisioned from another project. I don't have the Solaris Installation CD nor do I have root or any user credentials on this server. My goal was to install OpenSolaris on this server and use it as a playground for learning UNIX admistration. I am communicating with the server using serial port and Hyper Terminal via LOM port. I place the OpenSolaris 2008.11 CD in CD drive and when I poweron from LOM, it takes me to login prompt, not installation setup.

My Questions:

1) Is what I am trying to accomplish possible in the first place?

2) How do I get server to boot from CD drive? Also, not sure if the CD is mounted, but I can't log into server anyways to find out.

3) Are there any other options for installing OpenSolaris?

Thanks!

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Weird behavior on a Sun Fire V120 running solaris 10.

All, After a power loss I went to power on our sun fire v120 that is running solaris 10 and now it will not boot. I tried power cycling it from the lom and pulling the cord but nothing works. All it does is after a power cycle it will start to boot and then start to spit out a bunch of hex... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsandova
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Help - Accessing Sun Fire V120 A/LOM

Hi All, My company has three V120 servers and two V245 servers. Currently we access ALOM on v245 thru NET MGT port. There are no NET MGT on V120. We use to access A/LOM on the V120s thru Windows Hyper Terminal connected to the Serial A port of v120. Since all of our Windows boxed are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: glieu
6 Replies

3. Solaris

Sun Fire v120 memory compatibility

Hi, I recently acquired an old Sun Fire v120 from work. I plan to play around with this at home whilst I'm studying for my SCSA exams. Only problem is it currently has no memory installed. I believe the memory modules required are 168 pin PC133 DIMMs. Unfortunately, the original Sun modules are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: skinyana
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Error while installing zone in opensolaris

while installing zone this error is coming zoneadm -z test install ERROR: Error: no zonepath dataset. Steps done to create one sample zone zonecfg -z test create set zonepath=/zones/test set autoboot=true verify commit exit zoneadm -z test install ERROR: Error: no zonepath dataset.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
9 Replies

5. Solaris

Clone Production Server (Sun v120)

It's a DHCP server. We want to make a clone for fail over purpose since there are some identical systems available here. We do have a secondary DHCP server. Hardware: Sun v120. OS: Solaris 9. Two disks without array, /var and /opt on the secondary disk. How can I clone the system via network... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies
lpoptions(1)                                                        Apple Inc.                                                        lpoptions(1)

NAME
lpoptions - display or set printer options and defaults SYNOPSIS
lpoptions [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] -d destination[/instance] [ -o option[=value] ] ... [ -o option[=value] ] lpoptions [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -p destination[/instance] ] -l lpoptions [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] [ -o option[=value] ] ... [ -o option[=value] ] [ -p destination[/instance] ] -r option lpoptions [ -E ] [ -U username ] [ -h server[:port] ] -x destination[/instance] DESCRIPTION
lpoptions displays or sets printer options and defaults. lpoptions shows the default printer options when run with no arguments. Other options include: -E Enables encryption when communicating with the CUPS server. -U username Uses an alternate username. -d destination[/instance] Sets the user default printer to destination. If instance is supplied then that particular instance is used. This option overrides the system default printer for the current user. -h server[:port] Uses an alternate server. -l Lists the printer specific options and their current settings. -o option[=value] Specifies a new option for the named destination. -p destination[/instance] Sets the destination and instance, if specified, for any options that follow. If the named instance does not exist then it is created. -r option Removes the specified option for the named destination. -x destination[/instance] Removes the options for the named destination and instance, if specified. If the named instance does not exist then this does nothing. If no options are specified using the -o option, then the current options for the named printer are reported on the standard output. Options set with the lpoptions command are used by the lp(1) and lpr(1) commands when submitting jobs. ROOT ACCOUNT OPTIONS
When run by the root user, lpoptions gets and sets default options and instances for all users in the /etc/cups/lpoptions file. COMPATIBILITY
The lpoptions command is unique to CUPS. FILES
~/.cups/lpoptions - user defaults and instances created by non-root users. /etc/cups/lpoptions - system-wide defaults and instances created by the root user. SEE ALSO
cancel(1), lp(1), lpadmin(8), lpr(1), http://localhost:631/help COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2007-2011 by Apple Inc. 29 August 2008 CUPS lpoptions(1)