Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX telnet banner message before login Post 302298570 by alert0919 on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 02:43:42 AM
Old 03-18-2009
telnet banner message before login

why I didn't set /etc/inetd.conf
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd \
telnetd -b /etc/issue

only
telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/lbin/telnetd

in /etc/ineted.conf

but when I telnet my HPUX machine

it shows those message

HP-UX hp1008 B.11.31 U ia64 (tb)

login:

I Know that /etc/issue is only used prior to login
but there are someelse can setting messages before login
???

how colud I know
HP-UX hp1008 B.11.31 U ia64 (tb) setting from where
thanks

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Telnet banner

Hi! I have a Tru64 40f box and I am trying to figure out how the banner is displayed after login. Now the sys admin (who is now gone) has a message that is displayed for all users AFTER login. In addition to the /etc/issue and the /etc/motd files another file with a longer message is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdharmap
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remove RH telnet Banner

I dont want the kernal info and OP type to come up to every one that logs in to my server. How do I edit the telnet banner to say something different. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: macdonto
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

changing the telnet banner

I don't want SunOS 5.8 to appear when someone logs into my machine... how do I go about changing the banner? I was thumbing through my unix books and I haven't found anything... I'm probably looking under the wrong topic... anyways... any help would be greatly appreciated. (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
20 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Telnet Banner

I need to put a telnet banner on AIX 4.3 and 5.1 servers, so the users can see a warning message before logging into the system. I know /etc/motd will give the message after the login. Basically what I am asking is how do I tell system to read the /etc/issue file on AIX?. Thank you, in advance... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smohd
4 Replies

5. Linux

login banner

Hi, I have added in banner in both /etc/banner and /etc/issue.net one by one in Linux but the banner is not displaying while user type username and enter I have restarted the ssh service also Any idea why? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Hp-ux login banner

Hi, How do i create a login banner for hp-ux users. Is there somewhere i can get a step by step explanation? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dowell
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display banner before login.

How would i force All connection oriented network services to display a legal warning in terms of banner before any fuctional operation by user? ---------- Post updated at 12:54 AM ---------- Previous update was at 12:33 AM ---------- I would like to do this for ssh service first. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

8. AIX

Last login details in banner

Friends!! I need your help. Where can i change/set the last login details as below in aix 5.3. And how to do that to get the results as exactly below login as: mbpops mbpops@xx.28.3.24's password: Last unsuccessful login: Mon Nov 22 14:32:27 GMT 2010 on ssh from 10.132.5.129 Last login:... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmvinay
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change banner message for console login?

Hi All, Whenever I login to server via console, after providing username (root) it displays a banner message. I want to remove this message Serverabc : root Welcome to Server !!! Password: It is Centos 5.4 box. I have checked /etc/issue and /etc/motd. It does not... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
8 Replies
telnetrc(4)							   File Formats 						       telnetrc(4)

NAME
telnetrc - file for telnet default options DESCRIPTION
The .telnetrc file contains commands that are executed when a connection is established on a per-host basis. Each line in the file con- tains a host name, one or more spaces or tabs, and a telnet(1) command. The host name, DEFAULT, matches all hosts. Lines beginning with the pound sign (#) are interpreted as comments and therefore ignored. telnet(1) commands are case-insensitive to the contents of the .telnetrc file. The .telnetrc file is retrieved from each user's HOME directory. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample file. In the following example, a .telnetrc file executes the telnet(1) command, toggle: weirdhost toggle crmod # Always export $PRINTER DEFAULT environ export PRINTER The lines in this file indicate that the toggle argument crmod, whose default value is "off" (or FALSE), should be enabled when connecting to the system weirdhost. In addition, the value of the environment variable PRINTER should be exported to all systems. In this case, the DEFAULT keyword is used in place of the host name. FILES
$HOME/.telnetrc SEE ALSO
telnet(1), in.telnetd(1M), environ(5) SunOS 5.10 9 Jan 1998 telnetrc(4)