Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Grep a portion of the log file Post 302298569 by vidyadhar85 on Wednesday 18th of March 2009 02:38:47 AM
Old 03-18-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainipardeep
Thanks Vidhya
But I dont know much about these editors. I am trying for a pattern like

grep -n "745100000000013" filename | while read line
do
echo "Line is --$LINE--"
done > outputfilename
try that awk or what you are trying to do is
Code:

grep -n "pattern" filename|awk -F":" '{print $1}' > temp_123
while read line ; do
li=$line
sed -n "$line,$((line+10))p" filename
echo "-----------------------------------------"
sed -n "$((li-10)),$((li))p" filename
done < temp_123

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract a portion of log file

hello, I want to grep the log file according to time and get the portion of log from one particular time to other. I can grep for individual lines by time but how should I print lines continuously from given start time till end till given end time. Appreciate your ideas, Thanks chandra (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandra004
8 Replies

2. Programming

Delete Portion of a file

hi i would like to know whether i can delete a part of a file in C for eg. if my file contained 1234567890 and i want to delete 456 so that it becomes 1237890 is there a way i can do this. well, one way i can achieve this is by creating a new file, copy whatever i want, then delete the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sameersbn
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of text from a log file

I am using Unix on Mac OS X 10.5.6. I am trying to extract the last entry of a log (text) file. As seen below, each log entry looks like the following (date and time change with each log entry): I want the script to extract everything quoted above, including the "===" dividers. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atilano
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep certain portion from the file

Dear Friends, Here I am with another difficulty. I have a flat file from which I wanna grep following pattern. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Statement Date : Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah Blah blah... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grab Portion of Output Text (sed, grep, awk?)

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running the following ruby script (output follows): >> /Users/name/bin/acweather.rb -z 54321 -o /Users/name/bin -c Clouds AND Sun 57/33 - Mostly sunny and cool I want to just grab the "57/33" portion, but that's it. I don't want any other portion of the line. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: compulsiveguile
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract portion of log info based on specific word

Hi Gurus, I'm using HP-UX B.11.23 operating system. I've been trying to extract a specific wording for example: "A tool used by tp produced warnings" from my below log data, but could not find a way to solve it. My intention is, if the log contain the word: "A tool used by tp produced... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a portion of line

Mysql log has something like: I want to grep only the portion "ernie-1328697839.1233158" from each line. How to do this? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Scripting : Sort a Portion of a File and not the complete file

Need to sort a portion of a file in a Alphabetical Order. Example : The user adam is not sorted and the user should get sorted. I don't want the complete file to get sorted. Currently All_users.txt contains the following lines. ############## # ARS USERS ############## mike, Mike... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to append portion of a file content to another file when a certain pattern is matching?

Hi ladies and gentleman.. I have two text file with me. I need to replace one of the file content to another file if one both files have a matching pattern. Example: text1.txt: ABCD 1234567,HELLO_WORLDA,HELLO_WORLDB DCBA 3456789,HELLO_WORLDE,HELLO_WORLDF text2.txt: XXXX,ABCD... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: bananamen
25 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I separate a portion of a file name to use grep on?

I'm trying to write a script that takes a file name in the form of Name_Num1_Num2.Extension and I want to separate the name portion and then use grep to see if that name part has any illegal characters in it. I already have my grep command written and it works, I'm not sure how to separate the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
5 Replies
BZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZGREP(1)

NAME
bzgrep, bzfgrep, bzegrep - search possibly bzip2 compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
bzgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzegrep [ egrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... bzfgrep [ fgrep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Bzgrep is used to invoke the grep on bzip2-compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If bzgrep is invoked as bzegrep or bzfgrep then egrep or fgrep is used instead of grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, bzgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. For example: for sh: GREP=fgrep bzgrep string files for csh: (setenv GREP fgrep; bzgrep string files) AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca). Adapted to bzip2 by Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org> for Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
grep(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), bzdiff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzip2(1) BZGREP(1)