Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Different output in AIX and Linux OS Post 302298353 by fpmurphy on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 10:16:27 AM
Old 03-17-2009
The problem is not with ksh per se, it is with your code. Passing a command line argument to pwd is invalid.
Code:
MYPWD=$(pwd $(dirname $0))

Here is an example
Code:
$ pwd .
pwd .
ksh: pwd: too many arguments
$

Some shells silently ignore the error
Code:
bash-3.2$ pwd .
/home/fpmurphy
bash-3.2$ pwd /opt
/home/fpmurphy
bash-3.2$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

PS output truncation in AIX

folks; i need help with a truncation problem in AIX when running "ps" command. when i run ps in SUN, i got the full output but when i run it in AIX the output is truncated. is there any arguments i can pass to give longer output so i can overcome the issue? here's the details:(please note the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moe2266
2 Replies

2. AIX

No Graphics Output in pSeries, AIX 5.3

Hi All -- I have an old 7028-6C1 which I'm using to learn AIX. The system didn't include a graphics card, so I connected via the serial port and performed a fresh install of AIX 5L V5.3. Later, I purchased a GXT135P (2849) graphics card, and added it to the system. When I ran diag, I was able... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i386tech
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Capturing output from grpck command on AIX

I'm having trouble capturing output from the following command on AIX: grpck -n ALL > error.out It gives me the results on the screen but my file is blank. I have no trouble capturing output from "ls > ls.out", but doesn't seem to work with the grpck command. Any ideas? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdtak
2 Replies

4. AIX

Aix 5.3 or Linux?

Hey I have an IBM IntelliStation Power 9114 Model 275 1.45GHz Workstation 1-Way 1.45GHz Power4+ Processor (5223) 2GB Memory (4x 512MB Dimms) (4447) and was told that AIX 5.3 works on it, and that there was problems with Linux installs. Can I download AIX 5.3 or do I need to buy... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: newtoaix
13 Replies

5. AIX

How to mail the output of a command in AIX

Hi, I have mastered how to mail to Windows in AIX. Can anyone tell me how I would mail the output command df -g to an email? I want to set a job in cron to mail df -g as the contents of a mail. Any ideas? Thanks John (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfd7000
4 Replies

6. AIX

Scripting AIX date output !!

Hi, I am writing a korn shell script in AIX. I want to pass the date as a parameter to script and inside it should convert the format to +%a" "%h" "%d" "%Y. For e.g., a parameter passed as "20100301" should be converted to "Mon Mar 01 2010". I can easily do this with AIX "date" option for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibajighosh
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX to Linux

I am Application Administrator with little bit experience with UNIX , We are changing the OS from AIX to Red hat Linux . Wondering if there anyway how to change the scripts to work on LINUX env and how to start to modify the scripts..Any Suggestions Thanks in Advance (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tutkiran
15 Replies

8. Programming

C++: No output for Char* when on AIX. Worked on Linux

Hi All, I have a script (attached) that was working fine on Linux. I compiled it there using g++ CrncyFmt.cpp -o CrncyFmt.o When I ran it there using eg. CrncyFmt.o 2343.565 2 I get as expected: CharOut = " 2,343.57" Now we have moved to our test box which is AIX and I... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Leedor
11 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

AIX monitoring tools for graphical output

Hi , I am new for Aix i am using IBM AIX server in our org. I am using tomcat and JDK 1.6 for our own ERP software the data base was stored in another server (windows ) i want to monitor my AIX server with graphical output from another system it is possible please help me, any other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_vnr`
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX -/usr/bin/expect shows output Don't know why.

Hi, I have been programming with the expect program for a while now and have create a series of menu driven checks for the operations team. One thing I have noticed is that I call a remote script and pass parameters and this is display on the screen....for example. Within the script ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yakky
0 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2012-02-29 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2012 AT&T Intellectual Property license http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/epl-v10.html KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)