Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: substr
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers substr Post 302298218 by janani_kalyan on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 02:51:06 AM
Old 03-17-2009
thanks vidhya. yes i'm new to unix so required lot of explanation thanks for your explaining me in detail.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using substr

What is the more efficient way to do this (awk only and default FS) ? $ echo "jefe@alm"|awk '{pos = index($0, "@");printf ("USER: %s\n",substr ($0,1,pos-1))}' USER: jefe Thx in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

Hi, My input file is 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;2;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. I need to change the second field value from 2 to 1. i.e., 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... 41;1;xxxx;yyyyy.... .. .. Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

get substr?

Hi, I have a long string like, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123 dedededede|efef|ghijklmn|paswd234 ghghghghgh|ijijii|klllkkk|paswd345 lmlmlmmm|nononononn|opopopopp|paswd456 This string is devided into one space between substrings. This substrings are, aabab|bcbcbcbbc|defgh|paswd123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: syamkp
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

substr not working

Hi I am trying to run this command in ksh ...its not working $line="123356572867116w1671716" actual_length = 16 cut_line=`awk 'BEGIN{print substr(ARGV,1,actual_length)}' "$line"` the substr is not giving me an output how can i make it done can anyone hwlp me on this cut_line=`awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pukars4u
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr of a file

.wysiwyg { PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davyp74
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

substr of a file

Hi, i'm a newbie and i don't know unix... I'm a dba oracle. I need to cat the content of a file like this: > ps -eaf|grep pmon oracle 221422 1 0 Sep 17 - 7:20 ora_pmon_ORCL oracle 405626 1 0 Sep 17 - 8:39 ora_pmon_ORCL1 oracle 491534 1 0 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: davyp74
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk substr

Hello life savers!! Is there any way to use substr in awk command for returning one part of a string from declared start and stop point? I mean I know we have this: substr(string, start, length) Do we have anything like possible to use in awk ? : substr(string, start, stop) ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use if/else if with substr?

I have a command like this: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES" else if (substr ($0,37,1)==0 && NR == 3) print "NO"}' This syntax doesn't work. But I was able to get this to work: listdb ID923 -l |gawk '{if (substr($0,37,1)==1 && NR == 3)print "YES"}' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP : awk substr

Hi, - In a file test.wmi Col1 | firstName | lastName 4003 | toto_titi_CT- | otot_itit - I want to have only ( colones $7,$13 and $15) with code 4003 and 4002. for colone $13 I want to have the whole name untill _CT- or _GC- 1- I used the command egrep with awk #egrep -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: georg2014
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substr

awk '/^>/{id=$0;next}length>=7 { print id, "\n"$0}' Test.txt Can I use substr to achieve the same task? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
8 Replies
explain_wait(3) 					     Library Functions Manual						   explain_wait(3)

NAME
explain_wait - explain wait(2) errors SYNOPSIS
#include <libexplain/wait.h> const char *explain_wait(int *status); const char *explain_errno_wait(int errnum, int *status); void explain_message_wait(char *message, int message_size, int *status); void explain_message_errno_wait(char *message, int message_size, int errnum, int *status); DESCRIPTION
These functions may be used to obtain explanations for errors returned by the wait(2) system call. explain_wait const char *explain_wait(int *status); The explain_wait function is used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the wait(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errno), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. The errno global variable will be used to obtain the error value to be decoded. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (wait(status) < 0) { fprintf(stderr, "%s ", explain_wait(status)); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } status The original status, exactly as passed to the wait(2) system call. Returns: The message explaining the error. This message buffer is shared by all libexplain functions which do not supply a buffer in their argument list. This will be overwritten by the next call to any libexplain function which shares this buffer, including other threads. Note: This function is not thread safe, because it shares a return buffer across all threads, and many other functions in this library. explain_errno_wait const char *explain_errno_wait(int errnum, int *status); The explain_errno_wait function is used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the wait(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errnum), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (wait(status) < 0) { int err = errno; fprintf(stderr, "%s ", explain_errno_wait(err, status)); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } errnum The error value to be decoded, usually obtained from the errno global variable just before this function is called. This is neces- sary if you need to call any code between the system call to be explained and this function, because many libc functions will alter the value of errno. status The original status, exactly as passed to the wait(2) system call. Returns: The message explaining the error. This message buffer is shared by all libexplain functions which do not supply a buffer in their argument list. This will be overwritten by the next call to any libexplain function which shares this buffer, including other threads. Note: This function is not thread safe, because it shares a return buffer across all threads, and many other functions in this library. explain_message_wait void explain_message_wait(char *message, int message_size, int *status); The explain_message_wait function may be used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the wait(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errno), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. The errno global variable will be used to obtain the error value to be decoded. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (wait(status) < 0) { char message[3000]; explain_message_wait(message, sizeof(message), status); fprintf(stderr, "%s ", message); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } message The location in which to store the returned message. If a suitable message return buffer is supplied, this function is thread safe. message_size The size in bytes of the location in which to store the returned message. status The original status, exactly as passed to the wait(2) system call. explain_message_errno_wait void explain_message_errno_wait(char *message, int message_size, int errnum, int *status); The explain_message_errno_wait function may be used to obtain an explanation of an error returned by the wait(2) system call. The least the message will contain is the value of strerror(errnum), but usually it will do much better, and indicate the underlying cause in more detail. This function is intended to be used in a fashion similar to the following example: if (wait(status) < 0) { int err = errno; char message[3000]; explain_message_errno_wait(message, sizeof(message), err, status); fprintf(stderr, "%s ", message); exit(EXIT_FAILURE); } message The location in which to store the returned message. If a suitable message return buffer is supplied, this function is thread safe. message_size The size in bytes of the location in which to store the returned message. errnum The error value to be decoded, usually obtained from the errno global variable just before this function is called. This is neces- sary if you need to call any code between the system call to be explained and this function, because many libc functions will alter the value of errno. status The original status, exactly as passed to the wait(2) system call. SEE ALSO
wait(2) wait for process to change state explain_wait_or_die(3) wait for process to change state and report errors COPYRIGHT
libexplain version 0.52 Copyright (C) 2008 Peter Miller explain_wait(3)