Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Search a pattern in a file with contents in a single line Post 302298215 by vidyadhar85 on Tuesday 17th of March 2009 02:47:54 AM
Old 03-17-2009
i am not able to find the attached file

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

make multiple line containing a pattern into single line

I have the following data file. zz=aa azxc-1234 aa=aa zz=bb azxc-1234 bb=bb zz=cc azxc-1234 cc=cc zz=dd azxc-2345 dd=dd zz=ee azxc-2345 ee=ee zz=ff azxc-3456 ff=ff zz=gg azxc-4567 gg=gg zz=hh azxc-4567 hh=hh zz=ii azxc-4567 ii=ii I want to make 2nd field pattern matching multiple lines... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: VTAWKVT
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pattern match and search in single statement

Hi All, I am trying to alter all lines between EXEC SQL and END-EXEC that have an INCLUDE in them. The following code search="INCLUDE " cp -f ${WORK}/$file.in ${WORK}/$file.wrk2 for item in `echo $search `; do > ${WORK}/$file.wrk1 awk -vITEM="$item" '{ if ( $0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining contents in multiple lines to a single line

I do have a file with contents splited into multiple lines ADSLHLJASHGLJSKAGHJJGAJSLGAHLSGHSAKBV AJHALHALHGLAGLHGBJVFBJVLFDHADAH GFJAGJAGAJFGAKGAKGFAK AJHFAGAKAGAGKAKAKGKAGFGJDGDJJDGJDJDFAG ... ... .... 100's of lines I would like to rearrange the content of this file so it will be a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question - How do I print contents of an array on a single line?

I have the following code: print @testarray; which returns: 8 8 8 9 How do I return the array like this: The output is: 8, 8, 8, 9 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: streetfighter2
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mutli line pattern search & replace in a xml file

Hello guys, I need your help for a specific sed command that would search for a multi line pattern and if found, would replace it by another multi line pattern. For instance, here is the input: <RefNickName>abcd</RefNickName> <NickName>efgh</NickName> <Customize> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: xciteddd
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Pattern and combine into single file

Hi Experts Please help me out with the following thing: 2 files and want the output file: {No for using FOR loop because I got 22 million lines} Tried that "It processes only 8000 records per hour" I need a faster way out !!! FileA: 9051 9052 9053 9054 9055 9056 9057 9058 9059 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search pattern and write line into another file

Hi, I have a file which contains the below details.. My requirement is to fetch all the lines which are starting with "ABC_XY_" into 1 file and rest of the lines (not starting with "ABC_XY_") into another file. Could you please help with what command needs to be used? file1.txt ----------... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyaatcgi
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search Pattern and Print lines in Single Column

Hi Experts I have small query where I request the into a single file Suppose: File1: {Unique entries} AA BB CC DD FileB: AA, 123 AA, 234 AA, 2345 CC, 123 CC, 5678 DD,123 BB, 7890 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navkanwal
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and split the line into two lines

Hi All, Greetings everyone !!! I have a file which has many lines, out of which one line is as below. I need to search for pattern "varchar(30) Select" and if exists, then split the line as below. I am trying to achieve this in ksh. Can anyone help me on this. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
8 Replies
fgrep(1)							   User Commands							  fgrep(1)

NAME
fgrep - search a file for a fixed-character string SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -e pattern_list [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] -f file [file...] /usr/bin/fgrep [-bchilnsvx] pattern [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] -e pattern_list [-f file] [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] [-e pattern_list] -f file [file...] /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep [-bchilnqsvx] pattern [file...] DESCRIPTION
The fgrep (fast grep) utility searches files for a character string and prints all lines that contain that string. fgrep is different from grep(1) and from egrep(1) because it searches for a string, instead of searching for a pattern that matches an expression. fgrep uses a fast and compact algorithm. The characters $, *, [, ^, |, (, ), and are interpreted literally by fgrep, that is, fgrep does not recognize full regular expressions as does egrep. These characters have special meaning to the shell. Therefore, to be safe, enclose the entire string within single quotes (a'). If no files are specified, fgrep assumes standard input. Normally, each line that is found is copied to the standard output. The file name is printed before each line that is found if there is more than one input file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported for both /usr/bin/fgrep and /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep: -b Precedes each line by the block number on which the line was found. This can be useful in locating block numbers by con- text. The first block is 0. -c Prints only a count of the lines that contain the pattern. -e pattern_list Searches for a string in pattern-list. This is useful when the string begins with a -. -f pattern-file Takes the list of patterns from pattern-file. -h Suppresses printing of files when searching multiple files. -i Ignores upper/lower case distinction during comparisons. -l Prints the names of files with matching lines once, separated by new-lines. Does not repeat the names of files when the pattern is found more than once. -n Precedes each line by its line number in the file. The first line is 1. -s Works silently, that is, displays nothing except error messages. This is useful for checking the error status. -v Prints all lines except those that contain the pattern. -x Prints only lines that are matched entirely. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The following options are supported for /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep only: -q Quiet. Does not write anything to the standard output, regardless of matching lines. Exits with zero status if an input line is selected. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file Specifies a path name of a file to be searched for the patterns. If no file operands are specified, the standard input will be used. /usr/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies a pattern to be used during the search for input. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep pattern Specifies one or more patterns to be used during the search for input. This operand is treated as if it were specified as -e pattern_list. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fgrep when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of fgrep: LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 If any matches are found 1 If no matches are found 2 For syntax errors or inaccessible files, even if matches were found. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: /usr/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWxcu4 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ed(1), egrep(1), grep(1), sed(1), sh(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), XPG4(5) NOTES
Ideally, there should be only one grep command, but there is not a single algorithm that spans a wide enough range of space-time tradeoffs. Lines are limited only by the size of the available virtual memory. /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep The /usr/xpg4/bin/fgrep utility is identical to /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F (see grep(1)). Portable applications should use /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F. SunOS 5.11 24 Mar 2006 fgrep(1)