Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting perl script chokes on dirs with spaces Post 302298147 by KevinADC on Monday 16th of March 2009 08:59:34 PM
Old 03-16-2009
assuming this is the line in the perl code that is problematic:

my $mplayeropts=`./vdpau-detector $infile`; chomp $mplayeropts;

try putting quotes around $infile (assuming that is the variable with the space):

my $mplayeropts=`./vdpau-detector \"$infile\"`; chomp $mplayeropts;

you can experiment with the type of quotes or adding an escape before the quotes: \"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to create dirs

hi, I would like to know of a shell script to create the following A script which will take in two parameters i.e. name of file and SID and create directories named /opt/oracle/admin/$SID/{bdump,cdump,udump}. Then edit the init file and change the three lines that look like this. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjajimi
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script find files in two dirs HELP

I have a directory which is /home/mark/files/ , inside this particular I have a bunch of filles (see examples below) TST_SHU_00014460_20090302.txt TST_SHU_00016047_20090302.txt TST_SHU_00007838_20090303.txt TST_SHU_00056485_20090303.txt TST_SHU_00014460_20090303.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fierusbentus
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing leading and trailing spaces only in PERL

Hi All, I have a file with the following contents with multiple lines 172445957| 000005911|8| 400 Peninsula Ave.#1551 | And,K |935172445957|000005911 607573888 |000098536 | 2|Ane, B |J |Ane |1868 |19861206|20090106|20071001 I want to trim the "leading and trailing spaces only" from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar04
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

script to recursively change permissions on file and dirs differently?

Hi there, I need to change all files/dirs 1. all files with 744 2. all dirs with 755 is there a script for that ? thanks, thegunman (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGunMan
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not correct processing of “\ “ in names of dirs inside shell script (tar command - system backup scr

Hello, Recently, I've started with shell scripting, and decided to write a script for my system backup using tar. When I was dealing with tar execution inside shell script I found this, inside shell we have the following code: tar $TAR_PARAMS $ARCHIVE_FILE $EXCLUDE $BACKUP_STARTwith... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilnar
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

**HELP** how to do a listing of dirs and all sub dirs only

I am trying to get a listing of ALL directories only under /export (as an example). I can get all the dirs directly under /export but I need any sub dirs under those dirs. I've looked (here and google) but can not find anything that works (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbraml
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Remove spaces in a variable

I have a variable I want to remove the spaces in between. The output should be How can this be done Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl : Arrays : where are these spaces coming from

Example data The sub and array in question sub parse_status { my $status_info = shift; my @info; push @info,"$1\n" if $status_info =~ /(System State : +)/; push @info, "System_Uptime : $1\n" if $status_info =~ /Uptime:.+?up (.+?), load/; push @info, "$1\n" if $status_info =~... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dealing with filename spaces in Perl

The following command to replace text in place in multiple files in a directory is tripping up on filename spaces (Windows environment). I really don't know Perl. find '\\server\directory' | xargs perl -pi -e 's/textA/textB/g'Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterate over `dirs` in a bash script

I would like to iterate over `dirs`in a script, but the script will never show more than one (current) folder #! /bin/bash for i in `dirs` do echo ${i} done echo ++++++++++++++++++ for i in $( dirs -p ) do echo ${i} done echo ------------------ dirscontent=`dirs` echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexanderb
5 Replies
MAKE_SOCKDFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)

NAME
make_sockdfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS server SYNOPSIS
make_sockdfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_sockdfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS server and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/sockd.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/sockd.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS server program since it no longer has to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS server starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/sockd.fc first. If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/sockd.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_sockdfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS server will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_sockdfc. FILES
/etc/sockd.fc, /etc/sockd.conf SEE ALSO
dump_sockdfc(8), sockd.conf(5), sockd.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@best.com or yingda@esd.sgi.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKDFC(8)