Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change 3 lines in one line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change 3 lines in one line Post 302298049 by jvjaimes on Monday 16th of March 2009 02:00:17 PM
Old 03-16-2009
Many thanks,

looks like is working now, always the details make the difference

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to change file contents line by line

Hi, I'm struggling to write a script to do the following, -will go through each line in the file -in a specific character positions, changes the value to a new value -These character positions are fixed througout the file ----------------------- e.g.: file1.sh will have the following 3... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vini99
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

append following lines to 1st line, every 3 lines

I have output like this: USER_ID 12/31/69 19:00:00 12/31/69 19:00:00 USER_ID 12/31/69 19:00:00 12/31/69 19:00:00 USER_ID 12/31/69 19:00:00 12/31/69 19:00:00 USER_ID 12/31/69 19:00:00 12/31/69 19:00:00 ... where USER_ID is a unique user login followed by their login timestamp and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find lines with "A" then change "E" to "X" same line

I have a bunch of random character lines like ABCEDFG. I want to find all lines with "A" and then change any "E" to "X" in the same line. ALL lines with "A" will have an "X" somewhere in it. I have tried sed awk and vi editor. I get close, not quite there. I know someone has already solved this... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: nightwatchrenba
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line...

Hello, I need a program that read a file line by line and prints out lines 1, 2 & 3 after an empty line... An example of entries in the file would be: SRVXPAPI001 ERRO JUN24 07:28:34 1775 REASON= 0000, PROCID= #E506 #1065: TPCIPPR, INDEX= 003F ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ferocci
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to remove lines that do not start with digit and combine line or lines

I have been searching and trying to come up with an awk that will perform the following on a converted text file (original is a pdf). 1. Since the first two lines are (begin with) text they are removed 2. if $1 is a number then all text is merged (combined) into one line until the next... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get an output of lines in pattern 1st line then 10th line then 11th line then 20th line and so on.

Input file: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sagar Singh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Reading a file line by line and print required lines based on pattern

Hi All, i want to write a shell script read below file line by line and want to exclude the lines which contains empty value for MOUNTPOINT field. i am using centos 7 Operating system. want to read below file. # cat /tmp/d5 NAME="/dev/sda" TYPE="disk" SIZE="60G" OWNER="root"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
4 Replies
RCSCLEAN(1)						      General Commands Manual						       RCSCLEAN(1)

NAME
rcsclean - clean up working files SYNOPSIS
rcsclean [options] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
rcsclean removes files that are not being worked on. rcsclean -u also unlocks and removes files that are being worked on but have not changed. For each file given, rcsclean compares the working file and a revision in the corresponding RCS file. If it finds a difference, it does nothing. Otherwise, it first unlocks the revision if the -u option is given, and then removes the working file unless the working file is writable and the revision is locked. It logs its actions by outputting the corresponding rcs -u and rm -f commands on the standard output. Files are paired as explained in ci(1). If no file is given, all working files in the current directory are cleaned. Filenames matching an RCS suffix denote RCS files; all others denote working files. The number of the revision to which the working file is compared may be attached to any of the options -n, -q, -r, or -u. If no revision number is specified, then if the -u option is given and the caller has one revision locked, rcsclean uses that revision; otherwise rcsclean uses the latest revision on the default branch, normally the root. rcsclean is useful for clean targets in makefiles. See also rcsdiff(1), which prints out the differences, and ci(1), which normally reverts to the previous revision if a file was not changed. OPTIONS
-ksubst Use subst style keyword substitution when retrieving the revision for comparison. See co(1) for details. -n[rev] Do not actually remove any files or unlock any revisions. Using this option will tell you what rcsclean would do without actually doing it. -q[rev] Do not log the actions taken on standard output. -r[rev] This option has no effect other than specifying the revision for comparison. -T Preserve the modification time on the RCS file even if the RCS file changes because a lock is removed. This option can suppress extensive recompilation caused by a make(1) dependency of some other copy of the working file on the RCS file. Use this option with care; it can suppress recompilation even when it is needed, i.e. when the lock removal would mean a change to keyword strings in the other working file. -u[rev] Unlock the revision if it is locked and no difference is found. -V Print RCS's version number. -Vn Emulate RCS version n. See co(1) for details. -xsuffixes Use suffixes to characterize RCS files. See ci(1) for details. -zzone Use zone as the time zone for keyword substitution; see co(1) for details. EXAMPLES
rcsclean *.c *.h removes all working files ending in .c or .h that were not changed since their checkout. rcsclean removes all working files in the current directory that were not changed since their checkout. FILES
rcsclean accesses files much as ci(1) does. ENVIRONMENT
RCSINIT Options prepended to the argument list, separated by spaces. A backslash escapes spaces within an option. The RCSINIT options are prepended to the argument lists of most RCS commands. Useful RCSINIT options include -q, -V, -x, and -z. RCS_MEM_LIMIT An integer lim, measured in kilobytes, specifying the threshold under which commands will try to use memory-based operations for processing the RCS file. (For RCS files of size lim kilobytes or greater, RCS will use the slower standard input/output routines.) Default value is 256. TMPDIR Name of the temporary directory. If not set, the environment variables TMP and TEMP are inspected instead and the first value found is taken; if none of them are set, a host-dependent default is used, typically /tmp. DIAGNOSTICS
The exit status is zero if and only if all operations were successful. Missing working files and RCS files are silently ignored. IDENTIFICATION
Author: Walter F. Tichy. Manual Page Revision: 5.8.1; Release Date: 2012-06-06. Copyright (C) 2010-2012 Thien-Thi Nguyen. Copyright (C) 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993 Paul Eggert. Copyright (C) 1982, 1988, 1989 Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
ci(1), co(1), ident(1), rcs(1), rcsdiff(1), rcsmerge(1), rlog(1), rcsfile(5). Walter F. Tichy, RCS--A System for Version Control, Software--Practice & Experience 15, 7 (July 1985), 637-654. BUGS
At least one file must be given in older Unix versions that do not provide the needed directory scanning operations. GNU RCS 5.8.1 2012-06-06 RCSCLEAN(1)