Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting addressing variable content... Post 302297935 by sobolev on Monday 16th of March 2009 07:49:49 AM
Old 03-16-2009
Thanks!
I'm using csh.
I should I use the "eval" command?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a variable content

Hi, variable1="This is a car" Now I want to replace the content of variable1, "car" to "dog". Is there any simple command I can use. Thanks. Joseph (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josephwong
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Content of Content of a variable!

I got a sample BASH script like this : $ cat test MYVAR=$1 DUMMY1="This is tricky" DUMMY2=24 echo $ $ ./test DUMMY1 ./test: line 5: This is tricky: syntax error in expression (error token is "is tricky") **I was expecting the output as "This is tricky", ah! but no luck **But... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaduks
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting variable content to a file!

Hello! I'm having problems trying to extract the contents of a variable and placing it into a text file. Grateful for any help. Been trying something along the lines of: $variable > file.txt or `cat < $variable` > file.txt As you can see I'm a newbie to this :D (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lloowen
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Content of variable

I have a variable that contains filenames like this: variable="file_1.extension<blank>file_2.extension<blank>file_3.extension<blank>file_4.extension and so on" How can I make filenames to be separated by newline: (I tried Sed but it didn't worked well) file_1.extension file_2.extension... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MartyIX
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading content of a variable to create a new one?

Hello. I've written up a script, that populates a variable with a list of tapes returned from my library. For example: 701940L3,701941L3,701942L3,701943L3,701944L3,701945L3,701946L3,701947L3,701948L3 So now, the variable "TAPELIST" contains those numbers, delimited by commas. I'd like to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get the specified content of the text into a variable.

I am having one string like ./usr1/Server/temp/app.env ./usr1/Server/temp/upp/app.env ./usr1/Server/ORIG_temp/app.env ./usr1/Server/ORIG_temp/upp/app.env ./usr1/Server/work_temp_40/app.env ./usr1/Server/work_temp_40/upp/app.env ./usr1/fd/app.env ./usr1/PurgeArchive/app.env ./usr1/bm/bin/app.env... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshmurs
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop over variable content

Hello all, I do have a variable containing one line like this: Waiting for job XXXXXX to start I needed to get the 'XXXXXX' literal, so I did the following: job_interno=`echo $log_exec | sed 's/.*Waiting for job \(*\).*/\1/' ` #other stuff Now, my variable is have more... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding Content to Variable (bash)

is this possible? its kind of like incrementing the value of a number in a variable. but in this case, instead of the value of the variable being a number, it's just contents/strings/characters/alpha-numeric etc. NOT a number. For instance: VAR=Tommy for all in $(blah blah) do ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting ls content into a file using variable

hi i just cant figure out how can i do this ls -lt > log.txt using $PWD what i mean is how can i get the ls command content into a file using $PWD variable? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chinababy
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacement of variable by their content in a file

Dear all, I have a "SQL request" in a file: that request include different "host variable" and I would like to substitute the different "host variable" by their respective content before executing the request. For example: $ echo $SHELL /bin/bash $ cat dae2.txt DELETE FROM ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dae
11 Replies
exec(1) 							   User Commands							   exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)