Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Any takers on a security issue Post 302297688 by wempy on Saturday 14th of March 2009 01:31:30 PM
Old 03-14-2009
Depending on the default shell on Solaris, you could grep every users (including root) history file for ifconfig commands.
Bash history file is ~/.bash_history and I think ksh is ~/.history
that MAY help

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 8 security log issue

Hi all, I'm using Solaris 8 right now. Recently I've a task that needs to log down all unsuccessful login to a log for auditing purpose. What steps do I have to take to log down all login failure logs? Do I've to edit a certain file for it or done by the X-window mode? BTW, do I have to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heero
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Security Issue with Standard Input?

Hi Gang, Running a script in AIX 5.3. Users wanted me to add a "confirm you want to run script, enter 'y' or 'n'" kind of thing... here is what I came up with: #!/bin/sh myfile=`basename "$1"` dateNow=`date "+%m.%d.%Y.%H.%M.%S"` # Get current date mydatedfile=$myfile.$dateNow... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yall
2 Replies

3. Web Development

Accessing a Perl CGI script, security issue

Hi Everybody, I was wondering if it was possible for someone to gain access to my Perl CGI scripts before they are interpreted by Perl (mod_perl on apache2) i.e. getting a hold of my raw scripts and not the html output? Let's say I use the DBI module where I have the hostname, user and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: z1dane
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

not able to Send mail due to Security Issue

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail from my application through SMTP in solaris 9 but unable to send a mail.Same code is able to send mail in Windows. As unix has more security,So as per me,it is due to security reason.. So please let me know what I need to do to send a mail properly. what... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Security issue and temp files

Hello, One of the senior network admins at work told me that I should not hard code temp files into my scripts. Rather I should use the mktemp commands in the script to create them on the fly. His argument was that if a malicious user knew the name of my temp files in the script they could... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

security issue

Hi all, Can someone please help to provide solutions for below security-related Linux server issue? Level : 2 UDP Constant IP Identification Field Fingerprinting Vulnerability Level : 2 TCP Sequence Number Approximation Based Denial of Service Level : 2 Operating System Detected Level : 2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lseowhua
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Zimbra Mail Server Security Issue

Hello, I have issue with my Zimbra Mail Server 6.0.7. In that i have configured HTTPS for client login and for whole session. but it stills communicate in http based authentication. due to that some sniffing software are easily sniffing details. So how do i configure completely HTTPS in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chintanghanti
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Finger command and security issue

$ finger yeti Login: yeti Name: yeti Directory: /arpa/tz/y/yeti Shell: /bin/ksh On since Wed Apr 2 15:24 (UTC) on pts/149 Mail last read Mon Mar 31 11:08 2014 (UTC) No Plan. Hi there, I am trying to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

X Windows Security Issue

Hi there, I am trying to understanding the difference between X11, host- based versus user-based access controls. And how vulnerability can the X11 settings be and why it is recommended to turn it off. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
1 Replies
deallocate(1)                                                                                                                        deallocate(1)

NAME
deallocate - device deallocation SYNOPSIS
deallocate [-s] device deallocate [-s] [-F] device deallocate [-s] -I The deallocate utility deallocates a device allocated to the evoking user. device can be a device defined in device_allocate(4) or one of the device special files associated with the device. It resets the ownership and the permission on all device special files associated with device, disabling the user's access to that device. This option can be used by an authorized user to remove access to the device by another user. The required authorization is solaris.device.allocate. When deallocation or forced deallocation is performed, the appropriate device cleaning program is executed, based on the contents of device_allocate(4). These cleaning programs are normally stored in /etc/security/lib. The following options are supported: device Deallocate the device associated with the device special file specified by device. -s Silent. Suppresses any diagnostic output. -F device Forces deallocation of the device associated with the file specified by device. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. -I Forces deallocation of all allocatable devices. Only a user with the solaris.device.revoke authorization is permitted to use this option. This option should only be used at system initialization. The following exit values are returned: non--zero An error occurred. /etc/security/device_allocate /etc/security/device_maps /etc/security/dev/* /etc/security/lib/* See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ allocate(1), list_devices(1), bsmconv(1M), dminfo(1M), mkdevalloc(1M), mkdevmaps(1M), device_allocate(4), device_maps(4), attributes(5) The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. /etc/security/dev, mkdevalloc(1M), and mkdevmaps(1M) might not be supported in a future release of the Solaris Operating Environment. 28 Mar 2005 deallocate(1)