Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh88 or ksh93
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh88 or ksh93 Post 302297422 by Nestor on Friday 13th of March 2009 10:30:39 AM
Old 03-13-2009
Thanks Radoulov. It returned "bad sustitution" then it's ksh88.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh88 - curses

I was wondering if there is anyway to use the curses library with ksh88. I saw Shell Curses function library which says I can use /usr/local/functions/shellcurses on ksh93 but I am on ksh88. I am on a HP-UX box. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMTheNachoMan
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in ksh88 ?

Hello, ksh88 doesn't support ${var:x:y}. Any alternatives to get substring ? thanks Vilius (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vilius
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Download AT&T ksh88 ?

Hello, I need ksh88 for my linux system - and I don't want pdksh. Possible to get original ksh 88 binaries or source ? (I don't need ksh93 which is available) thanks Vilius (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilius
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

namerefs alternative for KSH88

I have to use KSH88, so going to BASH, perl etc. is not an option. Below is a much simplified verison of what I am doing (aka ignore my cut command and i not increasing) :) i=1 BIGSTRING="one two three four five six seven eight" while ]; do typeset "STRING$i=`echo $BIGSTRING| cut -d' '... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[ksh88 and awk] Number of fields with a value.

Hi, With: # VALUES="one~two~~~" # echo $VALUES | awk 'BEGIN {FS="~"} {print NF}' 5 I can determine the number of fields. How to determine the number of fields with a value ? In this case 2. Thanks in advance, ejdv (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejdv
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Strings in ksh88

Hi I tried the following string comparison script in Ksh88 #!/bin/ksh str1='aC' str2='ABC' if then echo "Equal" else echo "Not Equal" fi Though str1 and str2 are not equal the script output says Equal . Please correct me Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smile689
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Zip size is different though files are same in ksh88

I'm using Ksh88 . I've last day files in one directory and current month files in another directory , having the same naming convention. Now i need to compare these folders size , if there is no change in these files then no action to be performed else if there is a change then i need to call... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP script in ksh88

Hi I tried the following code to FTP the files from test server to dev #!/bin/ksh DST=/home/files cd $DST ftp -inv 'test_serv101' << EOF quote USER test quote PASS test # File Path on test server cd /etc/home/Or_Files ascii mget curMonth* $DST quit EOF when i try the above code it... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris scripting problem with ksh88

Hello, I want to pick a random element from a list, and created these 2 lines, which work very well in ksh93. Unfortunately, I get this "bad substitution" message in ksh88. I'm wondering if there's an equivalent to the second line of my script.. or if I have to install ksh93 to make this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfroute
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Ksh93 on Linux compatible with ksh93 on AIX

Hi Experts, I have several shell scripts that have been developed on a Linux box for korn ksh93. If we want to run this software on an AIX 6.1 box that runs ksh88 by default can we just change the she-bang line to reference /bin/ksh93 which ships with AIX as its "enhanced shell" to ensure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Keith Turley
6 Replies
BADSECT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						BADSECT(8)

NAME
badsect -- create files to contain bad sectors SYNOPSIS
badsect bbdir sector ... DESCRIPTION
badsect makes a file to contain a bad sector. Normally, bad sectors are made inaccessible by the standard formatter, which provides a for- warding table for bad sectors to the driver; see bad144(8) for details. If a driver supports the bad blocking standard it is much preferable to use that method to isolate bad blocks, since the bad block forwarding makes the pack appear perfect, and such packs can then be copied with dd(1). The technique used by this program is also less general than bad block forwarding, as badsect can't make amends for bad blocks in the i-list of file systems or in swap areas. On some disks, adding a sector which is suddenly bad to the bad sector table currently requires the running of the standard DEC formatter. Thus to deal with a newly bad block or on disks where the drivers do not support the bad-blocking standard badsect may be used to good effect. badsect is used on a quiet file system in the following way: First mount the file system, and change to its root directory. Make a directory BAD there. Run badsect giving as argument the BAD directory followed by all the bad sectors you wish to add. The sector numbers must be relative to the beginning of the file system, but this is not hard as the system reports relative sector numbers in its console error mes- sages. Then change back to the root directory, unmount the file system and run fsck(8) on the file system. The bad sectors should show up in two files or in the bad sector files and the free list. Have fsck(8) remove files containing the offending bad sectors, but do not have it remove the BAD/nnnnn files. This will leave the bad sectors in only the BAD files. badsect works by giving the specified sector numbers in a mknod(2) system call, creating an illegal file whose first block address is the block containing bad sector and whose name is the bad sector number. When it is discovered by fsck(8) it will ask ``HOLD BAD BLOCK ?'' A positive response will cause fsck(8) to convert the inode to a regular file containing the bad block. DIAGNOSTICS
badsect refuses to attach a block that resides in a critical area or is out of range of the file system. A warning is issued if the block is already in use. SEE ALSO
bad144(8), fsck(8) HISTORY
The badsect command appeared in 4.1BSD. BUGS
If more than one of the sectors in a file system fragment are bad, you should specify only one of them to badsect, as the blocks in the bad sector files actually cover all the sectors in a file system fragment. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD