Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: monitoring a circular file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting monitoring a circular file Post 302297046 by ShawnMilo on Thursday 12th of March 2009 11:45:15 AM
Old 03-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilucca
any way to do this without relying on the time stamp? I ask because some of the events happen so quickly that they share the same time stamp.
If they have the same timestamp, then what else would you sort by?

Also, I realized that the timestamp isn't reliable anyway, because when you roll over from December to January, the December (12) stamps will be "higher" than the January (01) stamps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

file monitoring

Hi i am am monitioring a file every 60 seconds and checking if the file has changed and if it has changed i append the changes to another file. i am able to monitior the change in file size but i have a problem copying the changes made in the file to another file. i am using lseek to seek the last... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: problems
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Circular reference

I might know the answer to this, but I just want to see if any of you know any work arounds before I go and re-write the whole thing. I have a script as follow: $ cat testing #! /usr/bin/ksh f () { echo "Type \"y\" \c" read value if ; then ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fidodido
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Password cannot be circular shift of logonid

Hi , I am getting the below error if i am trying to set the passwd of a user: New password: Password cannot be circular shift of logonid. is there a way thru which i can set the passwd of the user same as the username. Thanks & regards, Sagar. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sag71155
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

file monitoring

hi all in my server all the users have the same paswd like "abc" .... i need to keep track of who changes the files using the ip addressess.... so once when a person logs in .. i need to monitor the actions or the files chagned by that person and store it in a log file .. can some one help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Monitoring

Hi all I have a ftp server where file will be ftped and processed and archived in archive once it's processed. The expected time for processing is 10 mins. I want to send an alert if any file is not processed and stays in ftp location for more than 10 mins. Please give me an idea how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnl
2 Replies

6. Programming

c++ code to check whether a list is circular or not

hi all, i need c++ code to check whether a list is circular or not... please help (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidyaj
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Filewatch job in autosys in circular way

I have box created with filewatch job as the first job follwed by 2 other jobs . For the time period of 8:00 am to 8:00 pm,we can get files anytime , with out any restriction on the number of times we get the file. So for this I need to make this box work in circular fashion i.e. once the box... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nishantrk
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

DNS circular verify script

I have modified a script to do a circular DNS look up. The theory is this for a given subnet build a range if IP's do a reverse look up on those IP's take the output of the reverse look up then and do a forward look up If the returns match up give a good status If not return a fail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: snoman1
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with defining a consition within a circular boundary

Hi Help, I am trying to create something like --- Suppose, I have grid origin at X=600000.0 & Y=90000.0. For any values of X, Y values lying within a circular periphery defined by circle of radius R=500m;X=599500.0 & 600500.0 ;Y=90500.0 & 89500.0should have a default=0or else it should... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
4 Replies

10. Programming

Code review: recursion in circular array, reduce two functions to one?

Hello, I think there's an easier way to do this but can't seem to recall but given an array of animals and an initial value is a random index in the array, here it's 3. 3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0,1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1,0... inifinite repeat a quick brute force solution i came up with was two functions, i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: f77hack
6 Replies
PCAP-TSTAMP(7)                                           Miscellaneous Information Manual                                           PCAP-TSTAMP(7)

NAME
pcap-tstamp - packet time stamps in libpcap DESCRIPTION
When capturing traffic, each packet is given a time stamp representing, for incoming packets, the arrival time of the packet and, for out- going packets, the transmission time of the packet. This time is an approximation of the arrival or transmission time. If it is supplied by the operating system running on the host on which the capture is being done, there are several reasons why it might not precisely repre- sent the arrival or transmission time: if the time stamp is applied to the packet when the networking stack receives the packet, the networking stack might not see the packet until an interrupt is delivered for the packet or a timer event causes the networking device driver to poll for packets, and the time stamp might not be applied until the packet has had some processing done by other code in the networking stack, so there might be a significant delay between the time when the last bit of the packet is received by the capture device and when the net- working stack time-stamps the packet; the timer used to generate the time stamps might have low resolution, for example, it might be a timer updated once per host operat- ing system timer tick, with the host operating system timer ticking once every few milliseconds; a high-resolution timer might use a counter that runs at a rate dependent on the processor clock speed, and that clock speed might be adjusted upwards or downwards over time and the timer might not be able to compensate for all those adjustments; the host operating system's clock might be adjusted over time to match a time standard to which the host is being synchronized, which might be done by temporarily slowing down or speeding up the clock or by making a single adjustment; different CPU cores on a multi-core or multi-processor system might be running at different speeds, or might not have time counters all synchronized, so packets time-stamped by different cores might not have consistent time stamps. In addition, packets time-stamped by different cores might be time-stamped in one order and added to the queue of packets for libpcap to read in another order, so time stamps might not be monotonically increasing. Some capture devices on some platforms can provide time stamps for packets; those time stamps are usually high-resolution time stamps, and are usually applied to the packet when the first or last bit of the packet arrives, and are thus more accurate than time stamps provided by the host operating system. Those time stamps might not, however, be synchronized with the host operating system's clock, so that, for example, the time stamp of a packet might not correspond to the time stamp of an event on the host triggered by the arrival of that packet. Depending on the capture device and the software on the host, libpcap might allow different types of time stamp to be used. The pcap_list_tstamp_types(3PCAP) routine provides, for a packet capture handle created by pcap_create(3PCAP) but not yet activated by pcap_activate(3PCAP), a list of time stamp types supported by the capture device for that handle. The list might be empty, in which case no choice of time stamp type is offered for that capture device. If the list is not empty, the pcap_set_tstamp_type(3PCAP) routine can be used after a pcap_create() call and before a pcap_activate() call to specify the type of time stamp to be used on the device. The time stamp types are listed here; the first value is the #define to use in code, the second value is the value returned by pcap_tstamp_type_val_to_name() and accepted by pcap_tstamp_name_to_val(). PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST - host Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. The precision of this time stamp is unspecified; it might or might not be synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_LOWPREC - host_lowprec Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. This is a low-precision time stamp, synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_HIPREC - host_hiprec Time stamp provided by the host on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp; it might or might not be synchronized with the host operating system's clock. It might be more expensive to fetch than PCAP_TSTAMP_HOST_LOWPREC. PCAP_TSTAMP_ADAPTER - adapter Time stamp provided by the network adapter on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp, synchronized with the host operating system's clock. PCAP_TSTAMP_ADAPTER_UNSYNCED - adapter_unsynced Time stamp provided by the network adapter on which the capture is being done. This is a high-precision time stamp; it is not synchronized with the host operating system's clock. SEE ALSO
pcap_set_tstamp_type(3PCAP), pcap_list_tstamp_types(3PCAP), pcap_tstamp_type_val_to_name(3PCAP), pcap_tstamp_name_to_val(3PCAP) 22 August 2010 PCAP-TSTAMP(7)