Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reformatting Data in AWK
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reformatting Data in AWK Post 302296954 by sda_rr on Thursday 12th of March 2009 07:56:58 AM
Old 03-12-2009
PHP Reformatting Data in AWK

Dear AWK Users,

I have a data set that is so large (Gigabytes) that it cannot be opened in the vi editor in its entirety. But I can manipulate the entire thing in AWK. It is formatted in a regular manner such that it has the variable descriptions or listings preceeding the variables. The latter then follow in discrete batches.

datatype 1 datatype 2 datatype 3 datatype 4 datatype 5
datatype N
x1_1 x2_1 x3_1 x4_1 x5_1
xN_1
x1_2 x2_2 x3_2 x4_2 x5_2
xN_2
x1_N x2_N x3_N x4_N x5_N
xN_N

I don't need every variable so I would like to extract specific variables depending on need from the dataset and print them out it the following format.

datatype 1 datatype 2 dataype 4
x1_1 x2_1 x4_1
x1_2 x2_2 x4_2
x1_N x2_N x4_N

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

sda_rr

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

reformatting a floppy!

i am trying to reformat a floppy i am using solaris 9 when i run this: rmformat -F quick /vol/dev/aliases/floppy0 it tells me that it cannot perform the operation on a mounted device. how do i unmount the device and format the floppy? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rmuhammad
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk multiple file reformatting

I hopefully have a simple request - I need to process multiple files reformatting the output based on tags at the beginning of each line. So the data for the new 3 lines of the output file are in the HDR line and then the details are in the DTL tagged lines. for ifile in $indir do echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jason_v_brown
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

reformatting xml file, sed or awk I think (possibly perl)

I have some xml files that cannot be read using a standard parser, or I am using the wrong parser. The issues seems to be spaces in some of the tags. Here is a sample,<UgUn 2 > <Un> -0.426753 </Un> </UgUn>The parser isn't able to find the number 2, so that information is lost, etc. It seems... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
16 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date reformatting

I have a file with temperature measurements: Loc1,20090102,71.55 Loc1,20090103,71.65 Loc1,20090104,71.55 Loc1,20090105,71.54 Loc1,20090106,71.54 However, to load this into a database I would like to reformat the dates (column 2) from the yyyymmdd format to the yyyy-mm-dd format. I have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date reformatting

I have been reformatting dates from a data file to make them mysql compliant. 31-10-2011 Loc1 1-11-2011 Loc2 The first can be captured by this: sed -i '' -e "s#\(..\)-\(..\)-\(....\)#\3-\2-\1#" data.txt and leads to: 2011-10-31 Loc1 The second line is captured as follows: sed -i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reformatting data in matrix form

Hi, Some assistance with respect to the following problem will be very helpful. I want to reformat my dataset in the following manner for subsequent analysis. I have first column values (which repeat for each value of 2nd column) which are names, the second column specifies position ad the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with parsing data with awk , eliminating unwanted data

Experts , Below is the data: --- Physical volumes --- PV Name /dev/dsk/c1t2d0 VG Name /dev/vg00 PV Status available Allocatable yes VGDA 2 Cur LV 8 PE Size (Mbytes) 8 Total PE 4350 Free PE 2036 Allocated PE 2314 Stale PE 0 IO Timeout (Seconds) default --- Physical volumes ---... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk help reformatting badly formatted time field

I need help reformatting an input file with spaces in the time field (4th field). I want the field to look like “hh:mm” with appropriate embedded zeros, but instead it has “h :m “ if the hour and/or minute are single character. I'm pretty new to scripting and this is beyond me. Any help would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lisep
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk --> math-operation in data-record and joining with second file data

Hi! I have a pretty complex job - at least for me! i have two csv-files with meassurement-data: fileA ...... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help reformatting column

Hello UNIX experts, I'm stumped finding a method to reformat a column. Input file is a two column tab-delimited file. Essentially, for every term that appears in column 2, I would like to summarize whether that term appears for every entry in column 1. In other words, make a header for each term... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
2 Replies
MPI_Type_free(3)							MPI							  MPI_Type_free(3)

NAME
MPI_Type_free - Frees the datatype SYNOPSIS
int MPI_Type_free(MPI_Datatype *datatype) INPUT PARAMETER
datatype - datatype that is freed (handle) PREDEFINED TYPES
The MPI standard states that (in Opaque Objects) MPI provides certain predefined opaque objects and predefined, static handles to these objects. Such objects may not be destroyed. Thus, it is an error to free a predefined datatype. The same section makes it clear that it is an error to free a null datatype. THREAD AND INTERRUPT SAFETY
This routine is thread-safe. This means that this routine may be safely used by multiple threads without the need for any user-provided thread locks. However, the routine is not interrupt safe. Typically, this is due to the use of memory allocation routines such as malloc or other non-MPICH runtime routines that are themselves not interrupt-safe. NOTES FOR FORTRAN
All MPI routines in Fortran (except for MPI_WTIME and MPI_WTICK ) have an additional argument ierr at the end of the argument list. ierr is an integer and has the same meaning as the return value of the routine in C. In Fortran, MPI routines are subroutines, and are invoked with the call statement. All MPI objects (e.g., MPI_Datatype , MPI_Comm ) are of type INTEGER in Fortran. ERRORS
All MPI routines (except MPI_Wtime and MPI_Wtick ) return an error value; C routines as the value of the function and Fortran routines in the last argument. Before the value is returned, the current MPI error handler is called. By default, this error handler aborts the MPI job. The error handler may be changed with MPI_Comm_set_errhandler (for communicators), MPI_File_set_errhandler (for files), and MPI_Win_set_errhandler (for RMA windows). The MPI-1 routine MPI_Errhandler_set may be used but its use is deprecated. The predefined error handler MPI_ERRORS_RETURN may be used to cause error values to be returned. Note that MPI does not guarentee that an MPI program can continue past an error; however, MPI implementations will attempt to continue whenever possible. MPI_SUCCESS - No error; MPI routine completed successfully. MPI_ERR_TYPE - Invalid datatype argument. May be an uncommitted MPI_Datatype (see MPI_Type_commit ). MPI_ERR_ARG - Invalid argument. Some argument is invalid and is not identified by a specific error class (e.g., MPI_ERR_RANK ). LOCATION
type_free.c 7/29/2010 MPI_Type_free(3)