Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Function Recursion Shift Problem Post 302296941 by nuvpal on Thursday 12th of March 2009 07:31:59 AM
Old 03-12-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by radoulov
What's wrong with:

Code:
ls ~username

... or I'm missing something?

Could you post an example of the desired output?
I'm not quite sure what ls ~username would do, when I try it, it outputs the same as a normal ls command...

Basically what I want my script to do is display a visual representation of the specified directory and all its sub directories (like the tree command).

I have managed to supress the original ls error by adding the 2>/dev/null to the function call itself which seems to work ok now:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
direc=~
seperator=....
list=$(ls -l $direc | egrep '^d' | cut -d" " -f8)
function printList() {
        for line in $*
        do
                echo $line
                list=$(ls -l $direc/$1 | egrep '^d' | cut -d" " -f8 )
                direc=$direc/$1
                shift
                printList $list 2>/dev/null

done
}
printList $list 2>/dev/null

But my script still does not work correctly, it will scan through the first directory found and display it along with all the subdirectories, but when it comes to loop back to the original directory and display the next directory it won't scan through and display the subdirectories of it. (I'm finding it quite hard to explain but I hope you can understand)

the output given will be something like: (where the . and number represent the directories and subdirectories)
direc1
direc1.1
direc1.1.1
direc1.1.2
direc1.2
direc1.2.1
direc2

and then it halts, where as i want it to display an output like:
direc1
direc1.1
direc1.1.1
direc1.1.2
direc1.2
direc1.2.1
direc2
direc2.1
direc2.1.1
direc2.2
direc2.2.1
direc3
direc3.1
direc3.1.1
direc3.2
direc4
...etc

Last edited by nuvpal; 03-12-2009 at 09:26 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion

I'm using the UNIX csh and i wish to use recursion to nav my way up (or down as it is) a given folder. My little test script is called "r" and takes a folder as argv (or $1) #!/bin/tcsh -f set allFiles = `ls -A $argv` cd $argv while ($#allFiles) if (-d... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gsjf
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with recursion in subdirectories

Hello ! I need some help with my simple bash script. This script removes all files ( with name given in $1 ) in current dir and subdirectories . The problem is with first loop in the script ( for file in * ; do ) . When I run the sript in my home directory this script display sometimes( ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty_123
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Help Help in recursion

Hello every body. I am trying to find the factorial using the following code. But it is giving the syntax error. I tried very much but in vain. Thanks in advance for helping me factorial() { if then y=`expr $1 - 1` x=$(( $1 \* factorial $y ))... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: murtaza
6 Replies

4. Programming

Recursion

I want to halt a tail recursive function after certain validation. I want to come out of entire recursion without unwinding phase. How can i achieve that . The coding is done in C language. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshighanshyam
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

recursion script problem

Hi Guys,, I tried to create a recursive function in unix. The following is the code. #/bin/sh function(){ n=$1; if ; then out=1; echo "inside if for 0"; else out = `$n * function "$n-1"`; echo "inside if for $n-1; fi (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
3 Replies

6. Programming

Recursion function (Anagramming word)

Sorry for my english Hello all my friends and seniors, i had created a programm in c++ (anagrammig of word) it works fine but i cannot understand how exactly recursion is working , i mean oh.. first look at the code . #include <iostream> #include <string> ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rink
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Strange Problem in case statement while shift

Hi, Here is my code as below: test.ksh: ======= #!/bin/ksh option="${1}" while do case $1 in -f) FILE="${2}" echo "File name is $FILE" ;; -d) DIR="${2}" echo "Dir name is $DIR" ;; -*) echo "`basename ${0}`:usage: | " (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaq1xsw2
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function problem

hey guys, im trying to learn bourne shell atm and I'm having some issues with functions. so heres my code: #!/bin/bash ##functions memory () { free -m } space () { df -h } ip () { (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hawkfro12
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX function example with "shift" command

Hello, I am reading one of the AIX manuals about shell scripting and (AIX 5) and I found this example when introducing to functions: function usage { prog="$1"; shift print -u2 "$prog: usage: $prog $@" exit 1 } This example is meant to be easy but I don't understand what it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kibou
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[BASH] Getopts/shift within a function, unexpected behaviour

Hello Gurus :) I'm "currently" (for the last ~2weeks) writing a script to build ffmpeg with some features from scratch. This said, there are quite a few features, libs, to be downloaded, compiled and installed, so figured, writing functions for some default tasks might help. Specialy since... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
3 Replies
DIFF3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  DIFF3(1)

NAME
diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison SYNOPSIS
diff3 [ -ex3 ] file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
Diff3 compares three versions of a file, and publishes disagreeing ranges of text flagged with these codes: ==== all three files differ ====1 file1 is different ====2 file2 is different ====3 file3 is different The type of change suffered in converting a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways: f : n1 a Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3. f : n1 , n2 c Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2. If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1. The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication. When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of the lower-numbered file is suppressed. Under the -e option, diff3 publishes a script for the editor ed that will incorporate into file1 all changes between file2 and file3, i.e. the changes that normally would be flagged ==== and ====3. Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3). The following command will apply the resulting script to `file1'. (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1 FILES
/tmp/d3????? /usr/lib/diff3 SEE ALSO
diff(1) BUGS
Text lines that consist of a single `.' will defeat -e. Files longer than 64K bytes won't work. DIFF3(1)