Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: calling UNIX commands C/C++
Top Forums Programming calling UNIX commands C/C++ Post 302296381 by pludi on Wednesday 11th of March 2009 04:46:32 AM
Old 03-11-2009
Why exactly isn't sudo an option? (Just asking to make sure you describe the right problem before we give the wrong answer)

As for your program: it doesn't need to know the root password, it only has to have the SUID bit set (like sudo or su). If you meant to call su from your program, you'll have the same problem as others who posted about entering the root password from a shell script: probably not possible, as both su and sudo always try to read from the tty, not stdin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

calling UNIX script from C/C++

Hi all, Is it possible to call a UNIX script from C/C++ program? If yes, can you please tell me how? Thank you in advance Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omran
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

calling Oracle procedure from Unix

Does anyone know how to call an Oracle stored procedure from a Unix script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssmiths001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl calling unix system commands

if ( system ("/bin/cat $File1 >> $File2") ) { print("#WARNING RAISED : /bin/cat File1 >> File2 - FAILURE!\n"); } I came across this code, would appreciate if someone can tell me if my understanding is correct? the perl code tell the system to cat file 1 into file 2, if command fails, print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling GDB commands from Shell

Hi, I have just started off with the shell programming. I need to execute a GDB command from a shell script. I have been trying to get this working from quite sometime but not getting it quite right.I have this specific requirement that i read byte data from a file and write that data to the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsantosh
0 Replies

5. Programming

Calling procedure through Unix Shell

Hi can anyone help me in how to 1) invoke batch profile to run sqlplus on XXXXX server. 2) execute truncate table xtra.xtra_card_email_request using procedure dbadmin.truncate_table . 3) Check the count before and after the job run. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jakred
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Oracle (11gr2) calling unix commands (aix)

I have an Oracle database running on AIX, and I have a procedure that is calling OS commands from an oracle (and it's not working anymore)... so, there was an Java stored proc in Oracle CREATE OR REPLACE AND RESOLVE JAVA SOURCE NAMED COMMON."Host" as import java.io.*; public class Host {... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bongo
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calling perl commands in shell

i have four commands 1. perl -MCPAN -e shell 2. o conf prerequisites_policy follow 3. o conf commit 4. exit I am attempting to streamline a bunch of yum commands and cpan installations and want to remove the confirmation portion of the cpan these four commands will do just that. my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphybr
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling commands with ksh

Hi, I am not able to run below command on linux, it however works on solaris. If anyone knows the reason and a solution for it can you please let me know ? Linux ----- $> ksh 'echo hi' ksh: echo hi: No such file or directory $> which ksh /usr/bin/ksh Solaris ------ $> ksh 'echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnaux
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Calling Macros in UNIX command

Hi .. I have created a sql macro, i want to execute this through ksh in putty.ie) sql.ksh will contain the macro query ,once i call this ksh ,the macro should trigger. I am able to write a macro : for ex: create macro macro_name (sel * from db_tablename) execute macro_name. Could... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kalaiselvi66
1 Replies
GKSU(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GKSU(1)

NAME
gksu - a Gtk+ su frontend SYNOPSIS
gksu [ options ] <command> gksudo [ options ] <command> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly gksu and gksudo gksu is a frontend to su and gksudo is a frontend to sudo. Their primary purpose is to run graphical commands that need root without the need to run an X terminal emulator and using su directly. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. Common Options: --user <user>, -u <user> Calls <command> as the specified user --message <message>, -m <message> Replaces the standard message shown to ask for password for the argument passed to the option --sudo-mode, -S Use sudo instead of su as backend authentication system. Notice that the X authorization magic will not work when using sudo for target users other than root. --title <title>, -t <title> Replaces the default title with the argument --icon <icon>, -i <icon> Replaces the default window icon with the argument --print-pass, -p Asks gksu to print the password to stdout, just like ssh-askpass. Useful to use in scripts with programs that accept receiving the password on stdin. --disable-grab, -g Disables the "locking" of the keyboard, mouse, and focus done by the program when asking for password --ssh-fwd, -s Strip the host part of the $DISPLAY variable, so that GKSu will work on SSH X11 Forwarding. --login, -l Makes this a login shell. Beware this may cause problems with the Xauthority magic. Run xhost to allow the target user to open win- dows on your display! This is ignored if running with sudo as backend for authentication. --preserve-env, -k Preserve the current environments, does not set $HOME nor $PATH, for example. FILES
/etc/gksu.conf Configuration file to setup system-wide defaults for gksu/gksudo. It provides an option to force the display grabing, also. RETURN VALUE
On success, gksu will return 0. If an authentication error ocurred, it will exit with error code 3. If the user canceled the dialog or closed the window, it will return error code 2. On other error conditions, gksu will return 1. NOTE
Note that <command> and all its arguments should be passed as one single argument to gksu just like one would to when using su. SEE ALSO
su(1), gksuexec(1). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 2003 GKSU(1)